sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

62,381 to 62,400 of 67,270 messages
10/10/2012 at 17:45

my legs are about back to normal, will be running later, only 4 or 5 miles on my own though..

10/10/2012 at 19:41

well thats just remarkable - Dave and Scotts legs are completely back to normal after two days from running really well and hard for 26.2 miles and FRC is back doing killer hill sessions after a 35 mile run -

I really am on the wrong thread... I need to find one with mortals on it.......

10/10/2012 at 19:45

Didds - I know the feeling but don't be silly, it doesn't matter how often you post or how often you run, don't you dare threaten to leave us! I won't be running at all until at least next April but I plan to still pop in here and be 'part' of the thread even if v loosely and won't have any great running tales to tell! Same with you Susan, at leas you are still running!

Well done everyone though, far too much going on, you are all amazing!!

How is Howard by the way, has he been on recently?

Would love to see you all before Christmas but realistically very unlikely I could make it down unless it's a weekend, but even then, with imminent house move (no actual date) all a bit up in the air. We'll see though, if you guys choose a date I'll see if there's any way I can make it.

10/10/2012 at 20:52

Scott - you are about to experience my bossy side. Everyone else has and will ignore it but I'll say it anyway.

Be very careful about starting to run again so soon.  It's too soon for most mortals. Your initial DOMS might have gone but that doesn't mean you're recovered because there's more to recovery from a long run like a mara - and an ultra - than your legs feeling ok. Your adrenal system is shot, your central nervous system is knackered which means your motor nerves won't be firing as well which means your muscles won't work as well (and seeing they and all your tendons and ligaments are still tired the risk of injury is significantly increased), many of your mitochondria will have detonated when the muscle fibres they were living in were demolished so that means you won't have energy delivery system firing on all cylinders (and probably wont' for a month).

Injuries can take up to two weeks to manifest themselves after a mara so pleeeeeease be careful.  there is absolutely no physical benefit to getting back to it too soon - much more benefit to be had from a couple of weeks doing nothing more than some walking. Swimming is great and flat, effort-free cycling is good too, both as active recovery. but running has too much impact.  Sorry to be so boring. If you absolutely HAVE to go for a run because your life depends upon it... 20 mins on grass, very slowly. If you HAVE to.

This blog might help. And this one.  And this one, too.  I'm a bit passionate about it.

10/10/2012 at 20:52
Slack, you are more than welcome in here with me and the super human DTF! Bathe in our glory ! Lol.
10/10/2012 at 20:58
AH, I take on board what you are saying, I didn't go for a run this evening. And please always feel free to offer advice. I have only been running seriously for the last 18 months, and am very receptive to advice!
10/10/2012 at 21:48

Great news, Scott!  Just out of interest, why didn't you go?  Did you realise you actually felt quite tired?  It's a wierd thing isn't it?  A week ago you were a coiled spring, full of tapered energy, ready for anything. Then on Sunday you smashed out 26 sub 4 miles (am v jealous!).  The first time you run you'll prob wonder how on earth you ever did it when you feel shattered after 20 mins!

Enjoy the recovery

10/10/2012 at 22:31
Well thanks Scott ....
10/10/2012 at 22:32
Hi Tutu! Yes still running
11/10/2012 at 07:42
Hi AH I finished work at 6, hadn't eaten properly and yes, was tired out. Had an early night instead.
Edited: 11/10/2012 at 07:44
11/10/2012 at 08:42

Scott - take a few minutes today to listen to this weeks Marathon Talk podcast. Click here About 40 mins in they talk about post Marathon recovery... It's very interesting.... the Hen is right, and if I do run with the club tonight it will only be a very gentle trot. Today I am absolutely shattered (although my work has seen me back up and down the country since Sunday) and whilst my legs think "RUN" my head really is saying "REST". Go to the podcast, it's really worth it.

However....

I am going to be setting my new goal but will be realistic and look at good 10k time before the end of May. This will give me the chance to enjoy a bit of XC over the winter as well a few local races and put together a training plan in the New Year. If I can get near to 40 mins I will be a happy man.... it's someway off at the moment!

11/10/2012 at 12:46

Good articles AH, haven't watched all the video yet, though it was for IronMan Tri, much harder event/ training.

Do you find many in your club pay attention to the 1 mile equals 1 day rest? I see very few resting at mine, think I mentioned some doing all league races and seeing them get more tired and then injuries as the XC & borders league went on. Very visible in times too, one pal was 2 minutes slower on same course than previous year - then injured.

Actually have some non club friends who have done Berlin on 30th, Liverpool mara this week and Birmingham half the week after. Mad. Another pal did Chester on Sunday faster than DtF and doing Liverpool, back to back marathons. I just don't see the point, the rush to do all the races and at 100% effort. Risky.

First marathon, I took it really easy for 2-4 weeks, some running, swimming, but very light, also went on holiday. Scott especially would be worth following this. After Edinburgh and 3-4 events after that, then Thunder Run this year, I rested up, could certainly feel my body perk up and benefit from this. big increases in running speed and just feeling better.

Of course Ultra will have affected me, but mostly trail so less impact on legs? DtF and Scott though, much more on the feet/ legs pounding those pavements and cobbles.

I can certainly tell from sleep patterns, and also hungry /body craving food. Fruit cake eaten Saturday onwards, even last night plus good quality food also. I've mentioned I was border line hypo glycaemic 15years ago so easy to tell when I'm tired/ low blood sugar. Actually its lunch time. Hmmm

11/10/2012 at 13:40

time for something to eat..

11/10/2012 at 18:34

I seem to have wanted to eat non stop this week. Wasnt too hungry day after ultra but havent been able to stop eating since.

11/10/2012 at 18:57

I had an amazing bagel with bacon and maple syrup. Oh yes!

11/10/2012 at 22:20
I can't stop eating!
11/10/2012 at 22:21

I'm going surfing tomorrow. I ran 3 miles today. I'm definitely less is more at the moment. About 11 miles a week! That's not much is it? But I'm training for a 10K in about 4 weeks. I want sub 50 that is all. And still hankering after sub 24 5K. Then it will be all systems go (including the gentle dieting one to lose around 9 pounds) training for April mara. Dodgy knee (which one will it be?) permitting...

12/10/2012 at 13:06

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

12/10/2012 at 13:09

FOTD ?

Bacon with maple syrup. So wrong.   The 10k tips above are pretty good Ikle.

Ripon Report later. Actually good point, Scott do a race report about Sunday.  & Dtf? Helps me remember things, those details are important -  in a few months time all forgotten. 

Lunch time again! My body is a temple, so far descrated this week with an Omelette, Cooked breakie with scrambled egg & Chicken Curry. Healthy today.

12/10/2012 at 13:45

FRC - haven't had time for a "proper" race report... maybe later... when I eventually get home from work... at 2030hrs...

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.