sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

62,381 to 62,400 of 67,657 messages
10/10/2012 at 22:31
Well thanks Scott ....
10/10/2012 at 22:32
Hi Tutu! Yes still running
11/10/2012 at 07:42
Hi AH I finished work at 6, hadn't eaten properly and yes, was tired out. Had an early night instead.
Edited: 11/10/2012 at 07:44
11/10/2012 at 08:42

Scott - take a few minutes today to listen to this weeks Marathon Talk podcast. Click here About 40 mins in they talk about post Marathon recovery... It's very interesting.... the Hen is right, and if I do run with the club tonight it will only be a very gentle trot. Today I am absolutely shattered (although my work has seen me back up and down the country since Sunday) and whilst my legs think "RUN" my head really is saying "REST". Go to the podcast, it's really worth it.

However....

I am going to be setting my new goal but will be realistic and look at good 10k time before the end of May. This will give me the chance to enjoy a bit of XC over the winter as well a few local races and put together a training plan in the New Year. If I can get near to 40 mins I will be a happy man.... it's someway off at the moment!

11/10/2012 at 12:46

Good articles AH, haven't watched all the video yet, though it was for IronMan Tri, much harder event/ training.

Do you find many in your club pay attention to the 1 mile equals 1 day rest? I see very few resting at mine, think I mentioned some doing all league races and seeing them get more tired and then injuries as the XC & borders league went on. Very visible in times too, one pal was 2 minutes slower on same course than previous year - then injured.

Actually have some non club friends who have done Berlin on 30th, Liverpool mara this week and Birmingham half the week after. Mad. Another pal did Chester on Sunday faster than DtF and doing Liverpool, back to back marathons. I just don't see the point, the rush to do all the races and at 100% effort. Risky.

First marathon, I took it really easy for 2-4 weeks, some running, swimming, but very light, also went on holiday. Scott especially would be worth following this. After Edinburgh and 3-4 events after that, then Thunder Run this year, I rested up, could certainly feel my body perk up and benefit from this. big increases in running speed and just feeling better.

Of course Ultra will have affected me, but mostly trail so less impact on legs? DtF and Scott though, much more on the feet/ legs pounding those pavements and cobbles.

I can certainly tell from sleep patterns, and also hungry /body craving food. Fruit cake eaten Saturday onwards, even last night plus good quality food also. I've mentioned I was border line hypo glycaemic 15years ago so easy to tell when I'm tired/ low blood sugar. Actually its lunch time. Hmmm

11/10/2012 at 13:40

time for something to eat..

11/10/2012 at 18:34

I seem to have wanted to eat non stop this week. Wasnt too hungry day after ultra but havent been able to stop eating since.

11/10/2012 at 18:57

I had an amazing bagel with bacon and maple syrup. Oh yes!

11/10/2012 at 22:20
I can't stop eating!
11/10/2012 at 22:21

I'm going surfing tomorrow. I ran 3 miles today. I'm definitely less is more at the moment. About 11 miles a week! That's not much is it? But I'm training for a 10K in about 4 weeks. I want sub 50 that is all. And still hankering after sub 24 5K. Then it will be all systems go (including the gentle dieting one to lose around 9 pounds) training for April mara. Dodgy knee (which one will it be?) permitting...

12/10/2012 at 13:06

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

12/10/2012 at 13:09

FOTD ?

Bacon with maple syrup. So wrong.   The 10k tips above are pretty good Ikle.

Ripon Report later. Actually good point, Scott do a race report about Sunday.  & Dtf? Helps me remember things, those details are important -  in a few months time all forgotten. 

Lunch time again! My body is a temple, so far descrated this week with an Omelette, Cooked breakie with scrambled egg & Chicken Curry. Healthy today.

12/10/2012 at 13:45

FRC - haven't had time for a "proper" race report... maybe later... when I eventually get home from work... at 2030hrs...

12/10/2012 at 16:57

off to fire station later to help Gordon cook dinner for our mate and her fifteen firefighters.. its her birthday ... oh and then 20 miles in the morning - its going to be soooooo slow.... never mind... (new marathon virgins... they like to stop every so often bless them - and thats just fine... )  hope to be back before dark.... 

12/10/2012 at 17:00

afternoon all

oh bacon and maple syrup, yet so right....

hope all are well, my runnign is picking up so I will soon feel almost like one of you again!

Scott ah gives very good advice

Racing tomorrow, hilly muddy 5 miles, you know I just love that

Excited because my niece has just gone into labour so my great nephew is on his way (number two) I already have two great nieces as well, god I feel old!

what is everyone up to this weekend? 

12/10/2012 at 18:05

I am working this week end, so not racing, shame as the great eastern run is on, which the ex wife is doing, and I would have loved to beat her!!!!!!! also, there is a full and half narathon that finishes here in sleaford, so I will be cheering them on passing my office!!

12/10/2012 at 20:29

Evening all

Didds/Susan- Dont be daft

Scott- Is that spires & steeples? Looks like a good run and no time pressure. On my maybe list. Are you still wanting to go for a run at some stage?

Me - All being well will be sorting Comrades this weekend. Doing it myself but very happy. 10 days this time fly a day before and booking a safari for after. Add to that my daughter is coming and at 19 will probably be the last holiday with her "old man" should be fantastiv O first run tonight since Sunday so SCOTT listen to AH

12/10/2012 at 21:43
Ripon Ultra 35 mile Report.

Had been planned this as my first ultra for awhile but work got in way, only registered 10 days before. Two days later, pulled up at end of long run, knee felt like it was jammed in a cage. Really tight & sore but able to shuffle after stretching. Honestly thought I would have to pull out. Injury cleared, managed a steady 5m run Thu but a nagging feeling, would my leg hold out for 7-8 hours & 35 miles? I'm usually very optimistic but I wouldn't have put a bet on myself finishing
Was running with Jovi who had done the route twice so no major navigation to cope with, plus had the course on my Garmin as backup. Jovi had run this in 7:32 and 7:50 so knew there was nothing to be gained from a fast start, just a slow finish. Course is hilly from mile 15 onward so aim was to take it at a steady 9-10 min miles till then, walk the hills and run where possible.
Stayed overnight in Ripon, 5 mins from 9am start at Studley Roger village. What could go wrong? 8.10am Stuck post code in from last email, followed directions - to a racecourse? Wrong place. Panic, no mobile signal. Put the village in, different place about 10 mins away, then stuck in one way system went wrong way twice. Finally found it and arrived just as briefing starting. Grabbed my number, passed a bag to my pal Jovi's husband who was driving around following her, a change of kit if needed on top of my backpack. Panic. I was so nervous getting there late, I couldn't put my number on. Jovi's hubbie helped, he would pop up all over the course and very welcome sight every time.
Outside found Jovi and she introduced me to pal Mark, we would be??running together steady pace as agreed. M had done Berlin the Sunday before so tired legs. Finally off, able to get running. All pleasant, people to say hello to off Facebook group, a few surged ahead. We took our time, stuck to plan. A few streets then straight into countryside. Very pleasant weather, warm, pretty muddy in parts so wet under foot made it harder work. Checkpoint one came up pretty quick, 7 miles, water with electrolyte if needed, jelly babies, cake, flapjacks, very civilised.
12/10/2012 at 21:43
First 8 miles felt fresh, legs great but 9 miles right calf below knee tight. 10 miles really starting to feel sore. Through one section, I got stuck behind another runner so a little gap between me & pals, leg feeling really sore. For what felt like ages I was going to say to them, go ahead, I need to slow down and maybe even drop out. Was feeling a bit down. No giving up though, also thought of coach Shaggy, passed away recently?? Took 2 pain killers, gritted teeth for a few miles.
CP2??coming up so chance for a little rest.??Scenery really lovely, along streams, woods but very muddy. We came to a nice section where trees had been felled. Path not clear, garmin suggested a bit further up. Ground looked fine...Splat, dropped into 2ft of thick mud over the tops of compression socks. Could only get one leg out before sucked back in, helped out by 2 people. Couldn't help but laugh, I looked like I was wrapped in brown muddy paper. Shoes stayed on thankfully.??We moved on, past a Theakstons brewery, so unfair!??
Made CP2 16 miles. Phew. Stretch calf & quad. Difficult considering legs caked in mud but feeling better. Electrolyte & gorgeous stodgy fruit cake helped. Slight pain there, but could run. M tells me he is a GP, and took a neurofen off me. Got my second wind, the miles seemed to fly by. 17,18 more than half way.
Hills started properly now, power walk up, crest to the top and run down. Run more like a shuffle 10-11 min mile pace. Is there such a thing as an ultra shuffle? Right leg still a bit tight, Asked M about neurofen doses, no more than 800mg in 8 hrs or can affect kidneys. I'd taken 3 or 4 x 400mg??and had planned??to take another. Oops. Keep drinking water, more at next CP.
12/10/2012 at 21:44
CP3 was a bigger food stop, same as before plus pork pies, sausages. We'd had a few blok shots, but you get sick of the sweet stuff. Pork pies! way more fun than a marathon, the big hard section now coming up, miles 20-29 before final CP4. A few times we checked Garmin when unsure, a few jokes about "computer says no!" but it did help. Think we ran through our 3rd farm on the smelly side of shitty, proper slurry, greeny looking mud. Picking our way through this. Jovi couldn't see if solid ground so grabbed a brick and dropped it in, splashed all over her. Funny. Also had to run interference on various cows, dogs. Miles kept clicking by, now past marathon distance & still fine. Expected to explode or collapse but legs still moving.
CP4, 6.5 miles to go, though some slow drainy hills and boggy land to finish, ups felt tough now, really slowed you on tired legs. 2 miles to go, Jovi was on for a PB so shouted back & sprinted off. M & I happy just to finish. Turns out he was struggling same time as me, we'd kept each other going. Lovely last mile through a deer park, turned the corner, agreed a joint finish, arms locked & raised through the line. Lovely way to end the run. 7hrs 23 and done. Beers to follow. And a big pork pie on way home.
Really enjoyed the day, would definitely do another, even longer, perhaps sometime soon.
Edited: 12/10/2012 at 21:45
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.