sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

62,401 to 62,420 of 67,389 messages
12/10/2012 at 22:21

Good luck with the hilly 5-miler Wabo, glad that you're back running regularly again - and you're not old, just experienced like me 

Great race report FRC, even if it did make me feel tired!

What am I up to tomorrow? OH off to see George Michael at Earls Court tomorrow night with a friend so home alone, then off to Shropshire on Sunday to see Shrewsbury vs Walsall (don't ask but it's live on Sky Sports if you can't get there in person!), then on to overnight stop in Manchester ready for all day work meeting there on Monday.

Rest of the week: back down south for work Tuesday, up to Northampton for work Tuesday evening, on leave Wednesday for OH's birthday (going to see Deacon Blue in Oxford), work London Thursday, work Andover Friday. Will meet myself coming the other way one day! No wonder I don't get much chance to run much of late.

Happy weekend all!

12/10/2012 at 23:38
FRC where are the 10k tips? Nice race report. I'm jealous of your cooperative knees. Maple syrup Bacon and pancakes is Canadian breakfast. I'm sure bread product is interchangeable. I'm in Cornwall. 6 and a half hour drive to get here. Surfing tomorrow. Yippee. It's currently raining. Boo.
13/10/2012 at 00:14
Couple of pages back for DtF. See here. Ikle, the personal training and gym stuff you're doing will help loads, we always get loads of single leg lunges, squats, kettle bells, box jumps & step ups at uber gym, plus core work.

Rest day yesterday, decided today too (Saturday). I'm going to have a big long sleep. and no running or circuit.

If anyone has a JJB sports nearby, check if closing down, tons of trainers for ??15-30 reduced, all types even spikes. Picked up some Sauconys, but lots of asics, nike, New Balance, Adidas adizeros. Lots of tops.

Oh, Jovi is going to get me in trouble. Not quite Comrades or BullockSmithy but...
13/10/2012 at 23:13
Hi Martin, yes, spires and steeples. And yes, let's go for a plod some time. I should be up and running again tomorrow. Let's do a 10 miler somewhere a bit hilly next weekend?
14/10/2012 at 10:35

Slow, shuffling plod of 5.4 miles... all at 12 secs slower than each mile of last weeks Super Sunday. 

Felt a bit like a non-runner to be honest...

14/10/2012 at 11:43

dont be daft DTF, you are def a runner!!!

I just signed up to garmin connect, and have been going through my stats for last week, makes very interesting reading. I cant believe that I didnt get one sooner! best £130 I have spent on my running I would say. Any one that doesnt have one should get one.

14/10/2012 at 11:51
14/10/2012 at 14:36
Hi scott working next weekend and the one after. Think it may be aft. After xmas. R u entering any more marathons in the near future?

Booked the safari today. Starting to get organised
14/10/2012 at 15:21
Yes Martin, will def do more marathons, will be doing friskney and bath halfs, and any others that look interesting. What have you got planned next. And Martin, sure I asked before, but can't remember what you said, where abouts are you, I am in boston.
14/10/2012 at 16:34

Like the stats Scott - very steady pace you kept...

Must upgrade/replace my Garmin soon, which one did you get?

14/10/2012 at 18:37

Hi Scott Live in Grantham

Plans well Going back to South Africa next year and running Comrades is at the top of the list. I ran it in 2010 which was the down run this year is the up. Training wise that means a big increase in miles from January so will have plenty of long runs available!

14/10/2012 at 19:51
DTF , I have got a 405xc, I love it, ??130 on play.com!
14/10/2012 at 19:52
Martin, ah yes, Grantham, could meet near sleaford and do a long run!
14/10/2012 at 21:42
Glad you like the 405cx Scott. I like mine a lot, even saw me through the 35mile ultra just - 13% battery left.

A lot to learn from Chester stats for next time, steady sub 9 for first 16 miles and then start to trail off a bit, legs tiring last 4-5.

Really worth writing a report even if only for yourself, remembering when you took gels, bits that felt hard (mile 25?), routine you followed. In 6 months you will forget all the little details but there are usually some gems of info for you and people here too. I've bookmarked loads on here.

Watched Chester mara last week, Liverpool today, some great runs. Watching at mile 4, then on water station at mile 9 with club, then ran with pal aiming for sub 5 for 2 miles to train, then into town at mile 18/25 horrible hill to support everyone from sub 3 to 5:30. Fab time. Beer, food, recovery time, sort of.
14/10/2012 at 21:54
Good advice FRC, I have written a kind of diary entry for my marathon, thought it was a bit of an odd thing, so was keeping it to my self?........
15/10/2012 at 13:43

quiet on here....

longest ever 20 miler on Saturday .. oh my.... not even sub 4.. zzzzzz bless the newbies.. we ran out along the canal ten miles and back again..... we stopped for gels we stopped for loo... we slooooooowed down at the end... but they did it - more power to them.  Taper now - apart from being a bit weary (went to a dinner and a party that night until 2 am ) I am fine as I clearly did not push myself (even for me) at all apart from pushing my patience a tad in terms of wanting to run faster!!!

Hey ho... all good fun and Marathon number 11 looks like being an all time record slow time... but lovely scenery to enjoy on the way round.

15/10/2012 at 15:08

Stopping for gels??

Did post a couple of days ago but lost it somehow then got the CBAs. 

Glad everyone's well and making plans for next year.  My next plan is ... mystic fizz but can't see her till next Tues.

Did do 60miles on the bike yesterday, punctuated by a 2:30 break to help at a bike crash site.  Oddly enough I knew the injured chap through the bike club I'm no longer a member of. We saw each other at the start and swapped phone numbers planning to ride together at some stage.  Then when we stopped to help at the accident i realised it was him.  There were three emergencies in the same area all at the same time which was the main reason it all took so long. Good experience - although a bit harrowing and very thought provoking.  It bothers me that I updated my first aid course only in Jan yet there's so much you forget.  He's still in hosp.  His pelvis isn't fractured but he can't stand up without fainting with the pain. 

Be careful out there kids.

In other news - have just gratuitously scoffed a whole packet of jaffa cakes (CoOp ones because they're made with free range eggs of course).

In other other news - the Aga man still hasn't been and I'm worrying he won't get here at all . Have to go out at 5.30...

Edited: 15/10/2012 at 15:09
15/10/2012 at 15:10

Have just reread that last post. When I said the whole crash/ambulance thing was good experience i meant from a first aider wanting to improve skills point of view - not that it was marvellous seeing a bloke in pain lying on the ground unable to move...

15/10/2012 at 15:14

Hen to the rescue... no limit to her Magical Powers!

Ok... Chester report coming up...

15/10/2012 at 15:15

Chester Marathon Race Report

In my experience Marathons can be pretty stressful occasions – remembering all the kit, staying overnight in a hotel, getting up early enough, pre-race nutrition, getting to the start in plenty of time, toilet queues, drinking enough, toilet queues, eating enough/not enough, toilet queues... you get the picture!

I was determined that for Chester I wanted things as restful and relaxed as possible and I have to say that it seemed to work. After the 4 hour drive up to Didsbury on the Saturday we had a calm afternoon with family, walked the dog, watched some TV, drank plenty of water, cooked my own dinner (brown rice, chicken, sweet potato) had one glass of wine and took an early night.

Woke up feeling refreshed and ready to go! Had a small breakfast of wholewheat bagel and jam, cup of tea, bit of fruit and set off for the 40 minute drive to Chester.

Opted for what was the more expensive option of public car park when I got there, not knowing how congested on site parking at the racecourse would be. It wasn't too bad actually – will remember that for next year! However the 10 minute walk to the course was pleasant.

Great organisation at the start area in the “tented village”, easy to find baggage drop, loads of families milling about, refreshments and constant announcements about it being perfect PB conditions!

Usual toilet queues of course and as always the urge to take the last minute dash was dealt with in very “secret” location.

As it was quite chilly I opted for my trusty long sleeved top (now 6 ½ years old) with club vest over the top – didn't want to overheat but also didn't want to get cold at the start. I needed the gloves until half way!

Positioned myself in the 3hr45 slot and waited....

OK, went off a bit quick I know – first mile 8.03, second mile 8.04 – this was unintentional but I wasn't too concerned, the run around the city was a bit twisty and I was pleased to be out on the open road after that! Eased back a bit but was ahead of pace (and my virtual partner by 300ft) after 4 miles. The splits varied from 8.20 to 8.30 in the early stages and I felt pretty comfortable. I had a gel at 6 miles with a little sports drink (I took on a little water at almost every drink point). Had a chat with a guy from Ware who ran the New Forest Marathon years ago, he was aiming for 3:30 and duly passed by after a few words of encouragement. It was at about 10 miles when I felt the first twinge – a slight tightness in the right hamstring – I carried on and it didn't seem to get any worse. The sun was warm but I thought I'd keep going with the double layers – didn't want to get tangled up trying to remove clothing whilst running, tried it once before without much success so carried on.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.