sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

62,441 to 62,460 of 67,836 messages
16/10/2012 at 23:42
Hi folks, back down to earth now, marathon euphoria is subsiding........
Been out for a club run tonight, with a couple of folks, not the numbers I would have liked to have seen, lots of excuses , niggles, work, you know the score.....
17/10/2012 at 09:26

Morning all

Race reports Great reports all. Sorry to anyone who wanted one from me, but there was not a lot of drama (that sounds bad as well)

Scott- Its normal to feel a bit flat after a marathon especially your first. Enter another race. I would suggest a 10K I set my PB 6 weeks after a marathon by just doing a bit of speed work. Endurance will not be an issue! (see coments from DTF) Great run DAVE

All booked for SA just got to train and pay for it now

17/10/2012 at 13:04

hi all

oh ikle, thats not nice, sounds like you were just being nice too!

17/10/2012 at 16:31

Poor Ikle... nasty people...I would send a hug but it is against my religion.

I had a weird week last week as my current job is a contract role due to end in 4 weeks. I was told a few weeks ago they were going to advertise the permanent role internally and via an agency and that they would like me to apply (all good stuff). I went to see the agent to discuss my wish to apply and she put me on shortlist (still good). About 3 weeks later I got told of interview which was to be held last Friday. I turn up to work and contact HR to see where interview is only to be told that interviews cancelled and no new date set as role being reassessed!! (not so good). They did say sorry for not telling me before but it was all very last minute!! I am due to meet my boss this Friday for a "probationary review". Normally after 6 months in a role you have a review  to see if you stay in the role!!?? I have been here 11 months and only have a few weeks to go. The words piss up in a brewery spring to mind!!

17/10/2012 at 17:18

Martin, ouch, south africa. will be awesome though. and a great holiday too after. I may be after some tips for Feb.

Hey Wabo, how is you? And Umbongo, sounds unfair. Hope it sorts something.

Ikle, hope you're having a better day today. give em a slap. some people just aren't grateful. One of the nicest things the other day at Liverpool marathon on the water station, someone stopped, asked for me by name, gave me a big hug and said thanks. I had no idea who they were ! Think I suggested something for an injury.  So some people are grateful.

Scott its only natural you're a bit down. you peaked for something big and all done now. doh.  Book something. 4-6 weeks after is ideal to get PBs, thats what Howard suggested to me last year, same as Martin above. You've got the marathon juice / endurance for awhile without having to do much, just tick over. Last year 4-7 weeks after I pb-ed at half marathon and 10k, 4 mins off both. This year in the 2-5 weeks after, PBs at 10k, 10 mile and 5k but it was tiring. Wouldn't do quite as much next time.

Speed session last night. ugh. never easy. sprinting one half of a street loop, recovering on the other, x 10, plus w/u, c/d. and my normal 4m to club. all around 2 minutes for 0.38mile though, a couple a fraction off sub 5 minute pace for 600m, not too shabby especially with legs still a bit tired. League 10k at Caernarvon on Sunday.

Actually question for club runners Susan, AH, Wabo, DtF,actually everyone here. Last race, one of club sat on my shoulder for one and a half laps of two laps, zero help, zero taking share of duties then sprinted off last 10metres, just felt like he was racing me rather than other club runners. I ran a race with someone else earlier in the year, more experienced and we did swap, encourage each other. Whats the norm? Should we be double teaming it, work together like I thought? Or...

17/10/2012 at 17:35

FRC- Think I may be entering a 40 in south wales late Feb if your interested. Not good if your running with someone else even if you dont know them should share duties . I always do

Umbongo= True but do you want to stay

10 miles this morning was terrible. Its strange how a bad run just comes from no where. At least I have learned just to accept it and move on

17/10/2012 at 17:52

FRC - re: club... there is certainly quite a bit of rivalry in the club particularly with the quicker guys. However I don't think they'd be too scheming! I'll find out in December when we have a big local 10k to contest.

17/10/2012 at 22:20
Umbongo... Sounds like HR got it all sorted !
18/10/2012 at 12:28

afternoon all, not much to report, contemplating what races to get booked in to do next, still hoping for a club place for London..

18/10/2012 at 12:42

hi all

umbongo that does indeed sound just as you said, hope all is ok

hey frc, I am good, slowly building up the running and trying to keep injury free!

martin so true about terrible runs, you just chalk it up to experience I guess!

scott, mmm I am wondering do I want a club place if I can get? Not sure I do!

mcs
18/10/2012 at 13:07

Cycling and running at the moment into work and ticking all at about 20plus miles a week. I have a 21 mile hilly Grindleford Gallop March 9th next year as my next race, a tough off road, trail, fields, stiles and hills race........will be just get round in one piece event I suspect. Race is held near where I live, infact goes through my village in the Peak District. Recommend it if you like a Saturday race and a day to recover before work Monday.....run most of this course in training and going to do most of it again over the winter to build up some hillwork, there are some serious hill climbs about four in all. There is site with photos of the course if anyone interested. 
Not part of a club......but I have run in races next to shoulders of folk but they usually run off and leave me at the finish. Guess sharing the load is good if you are good enough.

18/10/2012 at 21:35

Great club run tonight... took advantage of the fact that one of the quicker guys who is doing Abingdon was taking it easy so ran with him for a bit then pushed on 2 miles in. 3rd mile in 7:19 and continued pushing for the remaining 2 miles so much so that I was the first back to the club... that will probably never happen again!

18/10/2012 at 22:11

Hello all,

Well done Scott & Martin, Jovi & FRC (.... and anyone else... I read back but I'm getting old & forgetful!). What was Mablethorpe like Martin? How was the wind? Support? Atmosphere in general?

Scott, my dog came from Boston. We went up there to get him. Interesting place. 

Carboloading for Abo at the moment. Hmm. On the one hand, frankly I am lardy enough (due to the Summer Of Pie and Sofa) and on the other hand, I need all the help I can get! Caffeine gels arrived today.

Did I say that my last long run was meant to be 20 miles but was 17 because I was so slow and we had to go somewhere for lunch so I ran out of time! (I did do a 3 miler that evening, but basically the longest run I've done sort of continuously is 18 miles hem hem ). 

The beginners have all been doing well. We started with nearly 30 but still have about half that coming. Given we hoped we might get as many as 10 at the start...! I saw two today doing their practice while I was walking the dogs and they called me "teach" (!). My fellow "jog leader" turns out to be v.g. at demonstrating stretches (phew). We've been very lucky in that we've had "helpers" too who have been real stars. No-one has yet disappeared up the A34 slip road, yay! 

My Keen Colleague has had his first running injury. Concussion, whiplash, eight stitches... yes, he ran into a pole headfirst. Yikes!  

Plans for next year shifting vaguely. Possibly not the brightest idea to go & do Rome 2 weeks after Malta so maybe not, hey.  You know how you think idly of making vast improvements when you're as wide as a mile and trundle along the roads like a tractor at harvest time? That's me right now. So keep up the running talk peeps.

Ickle, poo. Tough job, teaching, Come over to the happy world of IT... admittedly we do all have weak glutes on account of all the sitting!

Right - must get early nights. Will make up for not having trained ...! 

18/10/2012 at 22:51

Heh Fido Ouch. Your poor friend.

It is my birthday the day after tomorrow. Hoorah. Me and my brother Cicerunner, and Basey's son are doing parkrun on my birthday and Basey is also volunteering to help with the parkrun for the first time. It's a family affair. Hoorah! I've made lots of cakes for my staff tomorrow in a vain attempt to make them like me.

Heh. I've done no running this week but accidentally did about 4 hours of cycling yesterday owing to getting a bit lost trying to get to an MA session. Oops. Also had fun pump session on Tues. I love pump. It is such fun. Love the way absolutely everything aches the day after.

Night all. I'm going to enjoy my last day of being forty. Zing!

18/10/2012 at 23:23
That was a super quick year Ickle !

Fido is it this weekend? Can't believe it was a year ago Wendy and I descended on you and the Abo marathon ! Hope it goes well
19/10/2012 at 09:19

Fido - good luck with Abo. ...like the thought of someone running into post!! Cheered me up. I am lardy and tractor like at moment and need to get back into things. I can't remember my last run over 7 miles. Doing Cabbage Patch 10 this Sunday which will be a test!!

Should find out about my job this morning. I have a feeling that the nasty director has one of his friends who wants the job so no expectations.

19/10/2012 at 09:24

Ikle - good luck tomorrow at Park run...Happy Birthday for then!! Accidentally did 4 hours on a bike!!?? In my day (obviously a lot older than you) a pump session was something completely different (at least I hope it is!). I'll get my coat.

19/10/2012 at 09:40

Too warm for coats today. Pump is a workout with weights, Umbongo. As well you know.

19/10/2012 at 09:56

Happy Birthday for tomorrow Ikle! x

Good Luck Umb - will be thinking of you, but not at the same time as thinking of Ikle doing "pump sessions"

Off to sunny Wilmslow for a few days teaching now and I'm going to leave Mac and iPad behind - will I feel liberated? No, probably not.... just lost

I'm sure to find some really interesting road runs in the dark around there - as long as I don't stray off course and end up in the centre of Stockport I'll be alright...

19/10/2012 at 11:49

Hope you hear good news, Umbongo.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.