sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

62,461 to 62,480 of 67,464 messages
19/10/2012 at 12:08

I have been offered a 6 month extension to my contract!! After Xmas they will restart permanent recruitment process. I am about to tell them that I am not interested but probably should think about it a little.

19/10/2012 at 12:22

Is that good or bad? Yes think about it a little. A lot.

19/10/2012 at 12:34
Fido good luck sunday. Mablethorpe was perfect weather wise just a gentle breeze. Its also VERY flat so perfect for anyone wanting a pb. Atmosphere in the town it was good in the countryside no one. Was great to have a walk on the beach with an icecream after a marathon
19/10/2012 at 12:43

afternoon all

fido good luck sunday!! I say ouch about your colleague.

Ikle where has that year gone seriously! Have a great weekend and hope your work mates liked the cakes!

Umbongo, oh do stop and think.

Off to my mums this weekend, need it.  Chill chill.  I have lost half a stone guys! Whoop whoop!

mcs
19/10/2012 at 13:41

Umbungo Congrats on a job offer. Company owe us 75000 so getting worried here today!
Cakes yes please.......... Had a lovely run in the sun up the trail, down to the bank and back to the office in the autumn sun, leaves falling here now big stylee.. Looking like a reasonable weekend for weather. Have a good one especially folk running Abingdon Marathon.

19/10/2012 at 14:10

I'm thinking!!!

19/10/2012 at 15:25

Brain hurts!

19/10/2012 at 16:04

thats enough thinking Umbongo for gods sake you will do yourself an injury....  at least you will have some coppers to scrape together a turkey and some crackers for christmas??   and a food parcel to the starving actors family in north london...

Ickle - have a fantastic day tomorrow..

and everyone else and special wishes to Fido - hope someone else will be waiting to cheer you on with the disco bike .. if you are not... if you see what I mean ..

missing you already Dave 

19/10/2012 at 21:42
Off running with mini me tomorrow, he is 13, so only doing 4 miles
20/10/2012 at 09:47

Happy Birthday Ikle.

20/10/2012 at 10:26
Birthday greetings ikle!!!!!!!
20/10/2012 at 11:06
Happy Birthday Ikle!

Good luck to Fido at Abingdon. good luck to Umbongo

Wabo, well done you. Whoop!
Congrats on the marathon too Martin. You make it sound so easy.

Mcs, might have a look at Grindleford. Looking for something 20ish 4-5 weeks before London.

10k Caernarfon tomorrow for me. Off for club quarters in an hour to try and remember what speed feels like...is this the only flaw to doing an ultra?
I have done speed sessions the last 2 weeks so it's silly really.
20/10/2012 at 15:46

Happy Birthday Ikle - hope you have a great day.

Good luck at Abo Fido - what will everyone do without the disco marshall!

UmB - congrats on your extension.....

Good luck at 10K FRC - you should blast it - are you aiming for a PB?

Did parkrun this morning. As I have a race tomorrow I'd volunteered for pacing today. First time I've done pacing.  I was supposed to be the 25 minute pacer but somehow eneded a little too fast - 23:42 - oops. ITs part grass part path and I think my mistake was doing the same perceived effort all the way around which meant I was too fast on the path bits - I was so sure I was doing 8 min/miling. On the plus side, the pace did feel very steady so hoping 8 min miling for 26.2 will be acheivable by the end of this year! 10 mile trail race tomorrow - have been warned by race organiser that it is very very wet and boggy - maybe I should pack a snorkel!

Edited: 20/10/2012 at 15:49
20/10/2012 at 19:10

Happy birthday Ikle.

I've had a shocking week or two. Think i may have tried to do to much to soon. My right knee feels really sore so taking it steady at moment.

Entered my 1st race of 2013. I'll be doing the outlaw half in june.Then will be aiming for an autumn marathon.

20/10/2012 at 19:36
Oops posted a message but it didn't survive don't know why. Just to say that thanks for the lovely birthday messages. And I had a surprise birthday party organised by Basey with all my family. He is a star. And I had the best birthday present of a new 5k PB of 23:59 woo hoo! so pleased!
20/10/2012 at 20:09

Congrats on the new PB Ikle  Top marks for Basey...should I buy a hat soon

20/10/2012 at 22:26
Fantastic Ickle, the end of a week you deserved ! Great news on the secret party and the PB ! Awesome ....
21/10/2012 at 16:41

Heh. Thanks. And Jovi, Basey says yes. But I had to explain to him what it meant first. =)

21/10/2012 at 18:48

Really enjoyed my 10 mile multi terrain race today - although it is sold as multi terrain the terrain was predominantly mud! Had a fab day - loved it - one of my favourite races as 10 milers are my favourite race. 75:27 and a 3.5 minute course PB so very happy.  Just missed out on a prize as a flippin fast over 45 lady there who did 73 mins! A little pic from today's race - the ditch of doom! It was quite a shock to the system as I fell thigh deep running through and narrowly missed face planting in the grass - water was freezing - fab fun though! the tape marked the shallowest bit thankfully. (I'm the one in the red top and the black arm warmers).

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/294155/gallery/66561_541717512512297_1967280823_n.jpg?width=350

Edited: 21/10/2012 at 18:53
21/10/2012 at 19:22

Gosh that looks super tough!

The path in Tilsley Park (basically near the end, before they let you on the track) was flooded for a few feet though, does that count?

Managed to get round in a few seconds over 4:30 (and finished with a sprint), which, considering my spare tyre and lack of training, I was suitably grateful for! There you go peeps - set your standards low, and stuff yourself full of guarana energy gels. The last three miles were very much wall territory but luckily I was running with a VRUK clubmate for most of them, which was pretty lucky as it's a bit lonely towards the back of the pack. And at Abo, 4h+ kind of is.... at a big city marathon it's doing well!

The OH was running the disco Jovi, we had a dry run yesterday to make sure he didn't fall off the bike and could work all the bits and knew where the spare batteries were etc etc. Luckily his main marshalling spot (he also did the first roundabout, for his sins) is on the cycle path, so no safety worries at all. He said it was "interesting" when the five runners aiming for a world record (I think they got it) for fastest marathon bungeed together or something, lapped Blind Paul and his guide, on the rather narrow cycle path, but, he said, Paul & guide just stopped briefly to let them pass (very wise!) so no-one ended up in the ditch.

I got lapped surprisingly early by the leader (from Woodstock so local) and then the 2nd placed runner (an Amblers clubmate, who is more of an ultra runner but has been taking the marathon seriously this year, i.e. not running in a Fred Flintstone/Clown/Elvis costume and overtaking all the guys who were killing themselves to break 3h) was a way back.

"He's gone off too fast!" I said hopefully.
"Hope so!" he said, and, as he put the burners on in the last couple of miles from 90secs behind to win in a new PB, hey, turns out that was right. V. pleased for him.

A much different experience from my first Abo (first mara! 2nd race!) in '06 - fatter, slower, but more experienced, and knew a lot of the runners and the marshalls of course! Only 8 mins slower so considering my longest continuous run was 18 miles not bad ! MUST TRAIN. IS MUCH EASIER WHEN YOU TRAIN.

Clubmate insisted on giving me a lift home despite the fact that it's only 3/4 mile away and I could just jog back (Amblers won the ladies team prize, yay, but one of the ladies keeled over afterwards, and as you know my normal complexion is a healthy light green, so possibly they were a bit spooked). It then took me five mins to recover my door key which had been VERY firmly gaffertaped to my shorts ! (Also pinned, but that was easy enough to sort out).

Shower then went out for coffee with friends and bumped into the VRUK club secretary who had travelled out to support us.

So it was a very social day. Nice seeing the lady I chatted to at the start (as the bail bus crawled behind us for the first mile!) finish! All manner of people running. My boss (who trained well, and it was a cool day, so hopefully he finally got a result in line with his ability), H the cheery ultrarunner we sometimes see at ParkRun, PloddingHippo, Douglas from the Comrades lot, a Pirate with pink hair, Lucy who we used to see in yoga class, and even more people at the finish.

And the dogs did not wee on the floor!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.