sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

62,481 to 62,500 of 66,858 messages
20/10/2012 at 19:10

Happy birthday Ikle.

I've had a shocking week or two. Think i may have tried to do to much to soon. My right knee feels really sore so taking it steady at moment.

Entered my 1st race of 2013. I'll be doing the outlaw half in june.Then will be aiming for an autumn marathon.

20/10/2012 at 19:36
Oops posted a message but it didn't survive don't know why. Just to say that thanks for the lovely birthday messages. And I had a surprise birthday party organised by Basey with all my family. He is a star. And I had the best birthday present of a new 5k PB of 23:59 woo hoo! so pleased!
20/10/2012 at 20:09

Congrats on the new PB Ikle  Top marks for Basey...should I buy a hat soon

20/10/2012 at 22:26
Fantastic Ickle, the end of a week you deserved ! Great news on the secret party and the PB ! Awesome ....
21/10/2012 at 16:41

Heh. Thanks. And Jovi, Basey says yes. But I had to explain to him what it meant first. =)

21/10/2012 at 18:48

Really enjoyed my 10 mile multi terrain race today - although it is sold as multi terrain the terrain was predominantly mud! Had a fab day - loved it - one of my favourite races as 10 milers are my favourite race. 75:27 and a 3.5 minute course PB so very happy.  Just missed out on a prize as a flippin fast over 45 lady there who did 73 mins! A little pic from today's race - the ditch of doom! It was quite a shock to the system as I fell thigh deep running through and narrowly missed face planting in the grass - water was freezing - fab fun though! the tape marked the shallowest bit thankfully. (I'm the one in the red top and the black arm warmers).

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/294155/gallery/66561_541717512512297_1967280823_n.jpg?width=350

Edited: 21/10/2012 at 18:53
21/10/2012 at 19:22

Gosh that looks super tough!

The path in Tilsley Park (basically near the end, before they let you on the track) was flooded for a few feet though, does that count?

Managed to get round in a few seconds over 4:30 (and finished with a sprint), which, considering my spare tyre and lack of training, I was suitably grateful for! There you go peeps - set your standards low, and stuff yourself full of guarana energy gels. The last three miles were very much wall territory but luckily I was running with a VRUK clubmate for most of them, which was pretty lucky as it's a bit lonely towards the back of the pack. And at Abo, 4h+ kind of is.... at a big city marathon it's doing well!

The OH was running the disco Jovi, we had a dry run yesterday to make sure he didn't fall off the bike and could work all the bits and knew where the spare batteries were etc etc. Luckily his main marshalling spot (he also did the first roundabout, for his sins) is on the cycle path, so no safety worries at all. He said it was "interesting" when the five runners aiming for a world record (I think they got it) for fastest marathon bungeed together or something, lapped Blind Paul and his guide, on the rather narrow cycle path, but, he said, Paul & guide just stopped briefly to let them pass (very wise!) so no-one ended up in the ditch.

I got lapped surprisingly early by the leader (from Woodstock so local) and then the 2nd placed runner (an Amblers clubmate, who is more of an ultra runner but has been taking the marathon seriously this year, i.e. not running in a Fred Flintstone/Clown/Elvis costume and overtaking all the guys who were killing themselves to break 3h) was a way back.

"He's gone off too fast!" I said hopefully.
"Hope so!" he said, and, as he put the burners on in the last couple of miles from 90secs behind to win in a new PB, hey, turns out that was right. V. pleased for him.

A much different experience from my first Abo (first mara! 2nd race!) in '06 - fatter, slower, but more experienced, and knew a lot of the runners and the marshalls of course! Only 8 mins slower so considering my longest continuous run was 18 miles not bad ! MUST TRAIN. IS MUCH EASIER WHEN YOU TRAIN.

Clubmate insisted on giving me a lift home despite the fact that it's only 3/4 mile away and I could just jog back (Amblers won the ladies team prize, yay, but one of the ladies keeled over afterwards, and as you know my normal complexion is a healthy light green, so possibly they were a bit spooked). It then took me five mins to recover my door key which had been VERY firmly gaffertaped to my shorts ! (Also pinned, but that was easy enough to sort out).

Shower then went out for coffee with friends and bumped into the VRUK club secretary who had travelled out to support us.

So it was a very social day. Nice seeing the lady I chatted to at the start (as the bail bus crawled behind us for the first mile!) finish! All manner of people running. My boss (who trained well, and it was a cool day, so hopefully he finally got a result in line with his ability), H the cheery ultrarunner we sometimes see at ParkRun, PloddingHippo, Douglas from the Comrades lot, a Pirate with pink hair, Lucy who we used to see in yoga class, and even more people at the finish.

And the dogs did not wee on the floor!

21/10/2012 at 19:58

Well done Ikle/Fido and Wendy good running all

21/10/2012 at 20:12

Congrats Fido - sounds like a tough one but another in the bag. Loved reading the race report too.

21/10/2012 at 20:19

Hello everyone.  My name is AH and I used to run marathons and have entered Brighton. Alright if I hang around?

Sorry - just busy busy at the mo.  No running though . Am seeing mystic fizz on Tues.

Fido awesome marathoning today! And Wendy, too and Dave. Susan's tapering, Scott's got the post marathon blues but is getting fab advice.

21/10/2012 at 20:26

well done fido - another marathon.. well done Ickle again and well done Wendy on awesome 10 mile time and general trying very hard.

I did not run today - going to do 90 mins tomorrow with Sian .. wont be very fast but its just miles in the bag - seriously think I am looking at 5 hours plus even in France - will have to grin and bear it.... will look foward to trying harder in Brighton with AH next year... (as long as its not as warm as 2011!!!) well done on the swimming AH and hope Mystic Fizz helps you ...

21/10/2012 at 20:27

I went swimming in Dover harbour today. Will stick pics etc on FB although the dear chap who I gave my  phone to gets a bit muddled between the video and the camera buttons...

Loved it though.  It was a bit manic with 8 people and 2 crew on one small boat.  Add big bags full of towels, themoses, wellies, packed lunches etc, people getting in and out of the water every 15 mins (we were only really getting a feel for the boat, getting in and out, how the changeovers are going to work etc rather than training) and there was never a dull moment.

One of the best things is the water was warm!  Perhaps I'm starting to acclimatise.  And I didn't get the shakes because I wasn't in the water long enough to get cold.  All good.

21/10/2012 at 20:28

Oh and happy birthday Ikle! Sounds like you've had a lovely weekend.

And UmB - phew re job.

21/10/2012 at 20:30

AH - that sounds like hardcore swimming to me. Is the plan to gradually build up the time in the water until you'r at the race sort of time/distance?  

21/10/2012 at 20:52

Sort of Jovi.  Obviously the water's getting colder so we can stay in for less and less time. So most of our actual training needs to be in the pool over the winter. But if we can get in the sea every week or so over the winter - even if only for 5 or 10 mins when it's 5 degrees () it'll get easier that much quicker when the water gets warmer in the spring.  So by May we should be in for an hour or so.  The alternative is not doing it all winter then having to sort of start from scratch in March or something. The thought is too awful to contemplate.

Of course I'm not sure I'm going to go all the way to Bournemouth for a 5 min scream and freeze fest so I could just get in a cold bath. Or have AR hose me down in the garden

Its a 6 man relay so other than staying fit and trying to go faster, training shouldn't be too bad. We need to do a 2 hour qualifying swim in water below 16deg. On the day it's one hour swimming, 5 hours off. If I'm early in the order I may have to do three swims but poss it'll only be two.

Edited: 21/10/2012 at 20:56
21/10/2012 at 22:09
What percentage of the uk populous have run a marathon?
21/10/2012 at 22:33
I don't know. What percentage? Awaits punch line.

Great running Fido, you did fab. As always. Top stuff. Loved your shout to ambler in 2nd.

Jovi, mental multi terrain, love the photos. Funny seeing you in mud after Ripon. Karma.

AH welcome to the thread!
Only kidding. Swimming sounds nasty, but you are iron lady, so know you will do it.

Did I hear right that someone died at Birmingham half? Awful.

Today, some good running. Borders league 10k at caernarfon. Really nice course, a few hills. With it being league, good field lots to pace against.

Knocked 1m45 off my 10k PB, 40:12, sub 40 is very close
Hit the 5k marker in 19:56, also a PB.
Oh and also ran a bit with that club mate, pulled him along at 9k. Better than last time.
More info later, I had a funny mental chats with myself again during the race. Very positive though. Very Strange & Very funny.
22/10/2012 at 08:37

Have a good run today Susan. Sorry FRC, no idea re %.  Caenarfon's a long way from you isn't it?

mcs
22/10/2012 at 10:13

Brilliant running to you guys. Up here in Derbyshire the sun shone yesterday and I went mountain biking to rest my sore knee. Beautiful day with mist and fog in the valleys and the tops clear awesome views very privileged to live in such a lovely part of the world.
Sad news about the runner in Birmingham. I wouldn't mind going that way when I am 100 please not younger though. Sad for the family hope its no one too young.  Looked as though the mens race was very close at the end. Did that race two years ago a nice flattish course until mile 11 or 12 and great atmosphere coming down Broad Street.
Have a good week all and dont train too hard!!

22/10/2012 at 11:08

Congrats ikle on the PB - a great day had by all. Kudos to "Basey"

Congrats Fit-Running-Cat on that 40:12 10k. And 5k marker at 19:56 very nice! 

I ran a new 5k PB in 20:12 earlier this month. Hoping for sub 20 minutes very soon and then attempting a new 10k PB (sub 40:51) on 10 November at Battersea Park. Anyone else here running that 10k? I know Ikle is.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.