sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

62,561 to 62,580 of 67,842 messages
25/10/2012 at 22:39

Would love to do Fleet Half as it's just up the road from me but will be at my half-sister's wedding the day before in Hertfordshire so will be in no fit state to run the next day (shame as it's Reading Half on 17th March too and really want to do that one as OH lives in Reading). Oh well, 2014 possibly for one or other.

26/10/2012 at 07:53

Jovi - no probs if you want to come and stay here before Fleet

mcs
26/10/2012 at 09:25

Brilliant report thanks Dave Flower from Steve Way thanks for puttin that up what a great race report.................Over 20 miles this week and heading for 30 by Sunday.....cool this morning running to work as my daughter knicked my gloves and jacket to go for an early run and was not back by the time I set off for work. Kids dont we love em!!!

26/10/2012 at 10:56

...ummmm...Mr Flower Man doing sub 7 min miles!!? I am struggling to do under 9 minute miles!! If I am to stand chance at Fleet need Mr Flower to not improve and for me to make a stellar improvement....I might need Lance Armstrong's as my coach!!

I would say that my Cabbage Patch 10 was done in a slow 1:29 mins which is about 9 mm pace.

26/10/2012 at 11:05

I just cant make up my mind about fleet, its on my birthday, do I want to be doing that on my birthday???

26/10/2012 at 11:27

YES Wabo!  We can have cake afterwards

Fanfare:  despite my knee being a bit sore on the way to the gym this morning I just tested it gently on the treadmill... and did 30 mins with not one squeak of pain.  Wanted to do more but was Very Sensible.  Am now hoping it behaves for the rest of the day.  Am feeling cautiously hopeful.

26/10/2012 at 11:28

Wabo cake party it's always sunny and warm for the Fleet half

26/10/2012 at 11:54

I'm in one of those moods today where everything is annoying me...

God... if only I could make money out of mediocre running, I'd be a happy man.

26/10/2012 at 12:00

hen I am very tempted, oh but I have just remembered something seriously! My daughter her OH and my beautiful grandaughter are coming to UK next year, I am sort of keeping it quiet but I have to tell you guys now, because they are fitting it around my birthday. So really I dont think I can!

Expensive birthday for me because guess who will be paying for the flights... which is why I am quiet...

26/10/2012 at 12:03

Hope you cheer up soon, D the F. Just think of your favourite flower. Mine are those little mini daffodil thingies. Tete a tete? Oh, and passion flowers. God really had a field day (field day! Arf Arf!) when he made those...

26/10/2012 at 12:04

Fair enough Wabo.  Exciting and worth staying broke for I'd say!

26/10/2012 at 12:11

so true hen. JOdie has not told any friends yet, think she cant quite believe it.  Thing is Cleo will be two next August and then fares jump up, plus after March the fare will be almost double.

26/10/2012 at 13:01

Didds - I enter longer races as a way of making sure I get in the long runs during the winter.  If weather bad will still run if I;ve entered a race and be less tempted to wimp out!

AH - will keep you posted once Fleet entries open.

Wabo - great news to hear J & OH & mini J coming to visit

26/10/2012 at 18:07

Jovi, Liverpool is okay, a hill at mile 2 but rest not too bad. lots of people doing it so a good atmosphere, speed pens this year so should help. Wilmslow is meant to be fast. Friends did it this year.

Umbongo if DtF is doing 7 min miles, I think you might need more than Lance Armstrongs coach - might need his team bus as well . DtF not mediocre running at all, you had a fab time at Chester?

Wabo, sounds wonderful if everyone coming over. Don't forget the tunnel 10k in June if you're still interested. Its fun running underground for a mile or two and a nice fast flat finish with a great view of waterfront too. Its quite a few friends PB course. June 9th already confirmed as date.

With all this talk of races.. I've entered a ton the last 18 months. feels a bit weird after doing 5 halfs and 2 x 10ks in 4 YEARS, then out injured for ~2.

Since March 2011, just done a rough mental count:- 1 ultra, 2 marathons, a 24 miler, 2 x 20 milers, 4 halfs, 5 x 10ks, 2 x 5k. Phew. Oh and 7 club races, 5 in just the last 2 months. Probably doesn't sound a lot to some on here (Jovi!), but gotta be grateful I didn't give up 2 years+ ago. November 2010 was start of my plan to get back into shape & hopefully manage to run again, so any day now getting to end of Year 2. 

Successful plan!  (if I'm allowed to self toot).

Been some fabulous results for people this year, AH, WT & Fido. and DtF. (((All)))

26/10/2012 at 19:51
Any running done this weekend will be done on a hotel treadmill - oh joy!

Might to the Gosport Half on Nov 18 if I'm not in Canada... May even actually race it rather than play it too safe.

Nice race resum?? FRC - mine looks a little slender in comparison.

Might interested in the Wilmslow HM next year as well as Fleet. Does it fill up fast?
27/10/2012 at 12:37

Hello all

Lots of talk of people doing lots of races proper running thread. I have one more marathon booked in this year. Round the lakes in MK. Will be a pure training run although will try for a sub 4

27/10/2012 at 13:04

FRC thanks for your encouragement on remembering. Tips noted. Here's my attempt for today's parkrun:

My iPhone says 3 degrees C and 18 mph winds in Dulwich this morning. And I wake up with a distinctly dodgy sensation in my stomach. Once I'm on my bike and cycling the 5 miles there the cold really starts to bite. By the time I arrive and have cycled round a couple of times trying to keep warm I am seriously considering not doing it today. My fingers really hurt as I get off my bike and lock it up at the cafe.

Once I'm off my bike the wind seems to drop and I'm at the start and taking off layers ready to start. Some high knee and heel action to get warm and, dodgy stomach notwithstanding, it doesn't seem such a bad idea after all. Prior to Friday night I was ready for a PB attempt so decide to push the first km and see how I feel. Current PB 20:12 and I know from experience my watch typically records the race as 5.1km so pace needs to read sub 4:00/km. Make a more sensible start than usual - watch reading 4:05(ish)/km as I get into the first 500m. Feeling not too cold and stomach just enough in the background that I can ignore it for now. My watch is set to display pace per km (current km) and pace per km (overall). I get pace under 4:00/km within first km and keep going. Dulwich parkrun is 3 equal laps so approximately 1 mile/1.7km per lap. At the end of the first lap I feel like I'm running hard (and fast - watch reads under 4:00/km) but wonder if I can keep it up. Second lap starts and I think "well I can probably do this for another lap, but two?". Pull on runners in front over start of lap which is very slightly uphill to keep my pace close to 4:00/km though it slips over. Pull it back in target later in the slightly downhill parts of the lap. Final lap. As I pass start finish I wish someone would call out a time, but no-one does. My watch reads something like 4:06/km (current km) - that's ok, just started the lap and this is the uphill part. And 3:58/km (overall) - good. I needn't have worried about being cold. My left lace comes completely undone (that never happens). I decide to ignore it. In fact part of my recent running coaching has been to keep my feet soft and relaxed and so it's easier not to curl my toes to try and "grab" my shoe. Complete the uphill section and push on through the second third of the lap. Even though it hurts I pull on the runners in front. Round the final bend and I know the closing 500m is uphill to the start/finish. Shout at myself for the second or third time as I force myself to make a push to pull away from the person I've just pulled in. Barely look at my watch on the final km. Aware that last I checked it read around 3:58/km (overall). Know that even if my watch reads 5.1km at the end that 0.1km will take 24 seconds at 4:00/km so no let up. Push, push. Finished ...

... hear people coming in behind me being told "Come on! You can get inside 20 minutes!". Check my watch. Recorded exactly 5.00km today. (So my pace of sub 4:00/lm will be accurate ...) Time ... 19:50! Yay!

Splits 3:58, 3:57, 3:56, 4:10, 3:49. Perhaps my shoe coming untied distracted me more than I thought.

Iklebutn Miles wrote (see)
Ooh I forgot I'm doing Silverstone Half on 3rd March too...

You are? Sounds like a fun location. [goes to check diary]

Edited: 27/10/2012 at 13:10
27/10/2012 at 17:34

blimey - very speedy 5km cicero....

FRC your list of races is just showing off. mental..... even to Jovi!!!!

Umbongo - you cannot call 9 min miling slow on a SUB 4 THREAD and especially to me as at the moment I am lucky to do 10 min miling with the newbies!!! 9 min miles is not slow!!!!! 

WT - I saw my brother last night the one you met - the one who has done a 2 hour 32 min marathon - he is going to do Liverpool next October .. could be my 12th ??? if I get through the one next weekend and Brighton 2013? what do you reckon??

27/10/2012 at 17:58
Dave, J and I are doing Gosport. Is def a PB course. Or rather I'm entered but will have to see if knee will let me run it. If I do it'll be 10 min miles at this rate. Def only a training run.

Susan can't believe it's next weekend! How are you feeling about it? Not tooo worried I hope. Sounds like it'll be a hoot.

Timing at parkrun this morning was COLD. Then intended to do a 2.30 or 3.00 hour bike - but long story short - nearer 4 hours. Two good hills done. But legs not what they were in the summer. Some of the views on the south downs were epic. Could see the sea and Portsmouth. Worth the climbing. Unsurprisingly it was very quiet out today. Only saw a handful of other nutters on bikes.

Have been on the sofa ever since. Now contemplating and getting nervous about tomorrow morning's swim. Looks like the wind will have died and it should be a bit warmer. The air temp, at least...
27/10/2012 at 18:02
All THAT happened in a 5k???
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.