sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

62,581 to 62,600 of 67,364 messages
26/10/2012 at 18:07

Jovi, Liverpool is okay, a hill at mile 2 but rest not too bad. lots of people doing it so a good atmosphere, speed pens this year so should help. Wilmslow is meant to be fast. Friends did it this year.

Umbongo if DtF is doing 7 min miles, I think you might need more than Lance Armstrongs coach - might need his team bus as well . DtF not mediocre running at all, you had a fab time at Chester?

Wabo, sounds wonderful if everyone coming over. Don't forget the tunnel 10k in June if you're still interested. Its fun running underground for a mile or two and a nice fast flat finish with a great view of waterfront too. Its quite a few friends PB course. June 9th already confirmed as date.

With all this talk of races.. I've entered a ton the last 18 months. feels a bit weird after doing 5 halfs and 2 x 10ks in 4 YEARS, then out injured for ~2.

Since March 2011, just done a rough mental count:- 1 ultra, 2 marathons, a 24 miler, 2 x 20 milers, 4 halfs, 5 x 10ks, 2 x 5k. Phew. Oh and 7 club races, 5 in just the last 2 months. Probably doesn't sound a lot to some on here (Jovi!), but gotta be grateful I didn't give up 2 years+ ago. November 2010 was start of my plan to get back into shape & hopefully manage to run again, so any day now getting to end of Year 2. 

Successful plan!  (if I'm allowed to self toot).

Been some fabulous results for people this year, AH, WT & Fido. and DtF. (((All)))

26/10/2012 at 19:51
Any running done this weekend will be done on a hotel treadmill - oh joy!

Might to the Gosport Half on Nov 18 if I'm not in Canada... May even actually race it rather than play it too safe.

Nice race resum?? FRC - mine looks a little slender in comparison.

Might interested in the Wilmslow HM next year as well as Fleet. Does it fill up fast?
27/10/2012 at 12:37

Hello all

Lots of talk of people doing lots of races proper running thread. I have one more marathon booked in this year. Round the lakes in MK. Will be a pure training run although will try for a sub 4

27/10/2012 at 13:04

FRC thanks for your encouragement on remembering. Tips noted. Here's my attempt for today's parkrun:

My iPhone says 3 degrees C and 18 mph winds in Dulwich this morning. And I wake up with a distinctly dodgy sensation in my stomach. Once I'm on my bike and cycling the 5 miles there the cold really starts to bite. By the time I arrive and have cycled round a couple of times trying to keep warm I am seriously considering not doing it today. My fingers really hurt as I get off my bike and lock it up at the cafe.

Once I'm off my bike the wind seems to drop and I'm at the start and taking off layers ready to start. Some high knee and heel action to get warm and, dodgy stomach notwithstanding, it doesn't seem such a bad idea after all. Prior to Friday night I was ready for a PB attempt so decide to push the first km and see how I feel. Current PB 20:12 and I know from experience my watch typically records the race as 5.1km so pace needs to read sub 4:00/km. Make a more sensible start than usual - watch reading 4:05(ish)/km as I get into the first 500m. Feeling not too cold and stomach just enough in the background that I can ignore it for now. My watch is set to display pace per km (current km) and pace per km (overall). I get pace under 4:00/km within first km and keep going. Dulwich parkrun is 3 equal laps so approximately 1 mile/1.7km per lap. At the end of the first lap I feel like I'm running hard (and fast - watch reads under 4:00/km) but wonder if I can keep it up. Second lap starts and I think "well I can probably do this for another lap, but two?". Pull on runners in front over start of lap which is very slightly uphill to keep my pace close to 4:00/km though it slips over. Pull it back in target later in the slightly downhill parts of the lap. Final lap. As I pass start finish I wish someone would call out a time, but no-one does. My watch reads something like 4:06/km (current km) - that's ok, just started the lap and this is the uphill part. And 3:58/km (overall) - good. I needn't have worried about being cold. My left lace comes completely undone (that never happens). I decide to ignore it. In fact part of my recent running coaching has been to keep my feet soft and relaxed and so it's easier not to curl my toes to try and "grab" my shoe. Complete the uphill section and push on through the second third of the lap. Even though it hurts I pull on the runners in front. Round the final bend and I know the closing 500m is uphill to the start/finish. Shout at myself for the second or third time as I force myself to make a push to pull away from the person I've just pulled in. Barely look at my watch on the final km. Aware that last I checked it read around 3:58/km (overall). Know that even if my watch reads 5.1km at the end that 0.1km will take 24 seconds at 4:00/km so no let up. Push, push. Finished ...

... hear people coming in behind me being told "Come on! You can get inside 20 minutes!". Check my watch. Recorded exactly 5.00km today. (So my pace of sub 4:00/lm will be accurate ...) Time ... 19:50! Yay!

Splits 3:58, 3:57, 3:56, 4:10, 3:49. Perhaps my shoe coming untied distracted me more than I thought.

Iklebutn Miles wrote (see)
Ooh I forgot I'm doing Silverstone Half on 3rd March too...

You are? Sounds like a fun location. [goes to check diary]

Edited: 27/10/2012 at 13:10
27/10/2012 at 17:34

blimey - very speedy 5km cicero....

FRC your list of races is just showing off. mental..... even to Jovi!!!!

Umbongo - you cannot call 9 min miling slow on a SUB 4 THREAD and especially to me as at the moment I am lucky to do 10 min miling with the newbies!!! 9 min miles is not slow!!!!! 

WT - I saw my brother last night the one you met - the one who has done a 2 hour 32 min marathon - he is going to do Liverpool next October .. could be my 12th ??? if I get through the one next weekend and Brighton 2013? what do you reckon??

27/10/2012 at 17:58
Dave, J and I are doing Gosport. Is def a PB course. Or rather I'm entered but will have to see if knee will let me run it. If I do it'll be 10 min miles at this rate. Def only a training run.

Susan can't believe it's next weekend! How are you feeling about it? Not tooo worried I hope. Sounds like it'll be a hoot.

Timing at parkrun this morning was COLD. Then intended to do a 2.30 or 3.00 hour bike - but long story short - nearer 4 hours. Two good hills done. But legs not what they were in the summer. Some of the views on the south downs were epic. Could see the sea and Portsmouth. Worth the climbing. Unsurprisingly it was very quiet out today. Only saw a handful of other nutters on bikes.

Have been on the sofa ever since. Now contemplating and getting nervous about tomorrow morning's swim. Looks like the wind will have died and it should be a bit warmer. The air temp, at least...
27/10/2012 at 18:02
All THAT happened in a 5k???
27/10/2012 at 18:49
Yay well done Cicero Brother! Woo hoo! Hurrah! Well done!
27/10/2012 at 21:28

AH - am really in denial about it to be honest far more concerned at the moment by the Sales Conference on Tuesday and having to present to 60 people... very good distraction plus just been at my mum and dads so far too busy doing chores etc to think... now trying to catch very cheeky cat that keeps coming into kitchen and nicking food - it even just came in and got two sachets of cat food (unopened!!) as far as the cat flap but not quite through it and out!!!! really want to catch it and tip a jug of water over it!!

One hour run tomorrow - cant believe am doing a marathon next week.. mad...

27/10/2012 at 21:43

Susan you will be fine enjoy

27/10/2012 at 22:07

thank you Martin - will pack your Gremlin busting beans

28/10/2012 at 09:13
Good morning folks, I am just waiting for my porridge to settle, then off out in the rain for a 5-6 miler. Will take in a bit of off road, down by the river, through town, so should be an interesting one......
28/10/2012 at 12:53
Susan, a little offended. Seriously was not showing off with that list. More a "pinch me - I can't believe I've been in such good shape and so much progress".
3 years ago I was nowhere, really struggling. One run a week if lucky and limping for a few days after.

Cicero, great report. Fab run. The details DO matter, sure you agree now.

As an example, the pace thing. Friend who did 3:23 at Chester. Her hubby did 3:18 but was after sub 3:10. He went off at 6.55mm, not the 7.15 needed.
Way too fast. He couldn't see or hear by the end. Mental. Details & control definitely matter.

AH, Good run & bike.

Susan good luck. When do you fly out?

Jovi is doing town moor Mara today remember.
28/10/2012 at 13:06

did not mean to offend you FRC - this thread has been going for years and we have all changed and done more or less and some have been injured and had to stop and some have gone on to do lots more and some just chug along around the same and the point is its still a sub 4 thread - sometimes I think people forget that... you have done amazingly incredibly pantherlegly hugely impressivley lots of running and very fast running and very far and fast running and I did not mean to offend you ......

28/10/2012 at 13:29

Afternoon chaps. Wonder how Jovi did.

About to sit down and blog about this morning's swim.  Bloody hell. I reckon if I can just get in and survive the first five mins of something like that I can bloody survive anything.

Edited: 28/10/2012 at 13:33
28/10/2012 at 13:56
Nice updates everyone! Interesting. And impressive stuff huh! I tried pacing Basey's son's 5k at Parkrun on Sat and entirely failed. Tricky business pacing, huh?
28/10/2012 at 14:29
Yeah I know (((Susan))), was only a little offended Wasn't bragging. More thanking good fortune, hoping it will rub off on others, and also a long term plan working. A couple of friends off Facebook straight from norhing into heavy running, weekly park runs, speed sessions, club joined, even XC planned. One bought 4 pairs of running shoes in 6 months to go "faster". They want it all quickly, no build up, no gym work. No surprise, sadly both now injured with PF & calf problems.

Susan and anyone else, remember Casa FRC is open if anyone thinking of Liverpool Marathon (or Chester), or the Tunnel 10k. For the marathon can even pop along in summer and run half of the course. 2 bedrooms available.

Did anyone watch the Great South Run 10miler? Jonny Mellor that we did those running boot camps with, he just ran... 47 min 30s for 10 miles! 2nd Brit, and 7th overall. Wow. That is Fast. One to watch for Rio. Lovely guy too.
28/10/2012 at 16:56
Quick post as I'm on my phone. Tough day at the office last 5 miles almost lost the will to live it was very muddy, windy and more XC than road also v windy everyone seemed to struggle given conditions pleased to sneak a GFA 3:48 & second vet45 will post pics on FB. Once I knew the PB had gone & given how rough I was feeling was just doing what I had to to keep the GFA. A few DNFs or slow finishes by some usually much speedier people that do same races as me so overall pleased. I think today was quite possibly the worst I've ever felt in a mara. Still got the lingering head cold I had last week & didn't get much sleep last night due to dodgy stomach. With hindsight prob shouldn't have set off at PB pace or even ran but you live & learn! no.15 done - time for some wine methinks
28/10/2012 at 17:33

Jovi - well done.  And it's definitely time for wine in Jovi land.  Sounds really tough... s0 it's lucky you ARE tough.

Have blogged about today's swim.  Bit long - sorry..

28/10/2012 at 18:21
Jovi great run off road! Dont be tough on yourself.

Susan almost forgot about my gremlin but you dont need him. Also agree re sub 4 thread. Everyone has there own targets but in the end its about supporting each other
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.