sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

62,641 to 62,660 of 66,879 messages
30/10/2012 at 14:58

Ikle, Dont lose hope. You will do sub 4.

Still doing the pump classes? Thats what got my legs in good shape, a years worth, plus a body conditioning class & circuit too. 3 gym visits a week and 15-20 miles a week for months, then upped for the marathon.

You have tons of time for Brighton, to work on solid foundation November & December?

30/10/2012 at 19:07
In other news, I got laid off from work today! Not a happy bunny! Oh well, will give me a chance to get a few more miles in!
30/10/2012 at 20:38
Oh poor Scott. Was it unexpected? I'm sorry. Hopefully you will get another job soon now we are out of the recession.
30/10/2012 at 21:00

Scott - sorry to hear that... what line of work are/were you in?

Ikle - good luck with the niggles... I have been blessed with a mostly injury free running life (fingers crossed) so can only sympathise. I get frustrated by having a cold for a few days and not being able to run.

Which brings me on to another great club run tonight. Boy, is our club buzzing at the moment, so many people there tonight inc. about 50 juniors some of whom were all halloweened up in fancy dress (Toby opted out but then he is nearly 16!)

A brisk 4.75 loop around glorious New Milton at 7:28 pace ,nice and steady apart from a bit of stitch at the end. Haven't really run for a week and failed to warm up tonight so the first mile of so felt extra hard. I could really do with a race soon... shame I'm away for most of the local ones coming up.

I'm still on course for a 1000 miles this year (never managed it yet) with only 135 to go - should manage that over the next 2 months somehow.

Anyone entered Fleet yet to witness the Umbongo v DtF smackdown?

30/10/2012 at 21:29
Hey D the F, you never answered my F question!
30/10/2012 at 21:34
Artful Hen wrote (see)

I know I'm not a physio, but Ikle I can't believe one said that protein and water would sort your knee out!  Just can't believe it!

Am not at all sure that orthotics are the answer to anything really.  FWIW I think you'd be better off going to Stride UK or The Running School to have your whole running style analysed to see what biomechanical issues you have.  Most of these can be sorted out with a dedicated strengthening programme.  Dull and annoying - but safe, sensible and effective.

Ikle, what AH says there about the physio is what I almost said in the text I just sent you

I hadn't noticed that Running School had come up in this thread until after I sent it. Certainly part of their aim is to help runners stay injury free - as well as running faster of course. I know my coach [ @runschool_esph ] currently offers a free half hour bio-mechanical analysis and I'd guess that the new facility in Bank may well be offering the same thing. From my own experience of it I was happy that it wasn't just marketing fluff. It's useful to see just how you run and to have it explained how that affects both your performance and your running health.

Whether orthotics have any benefit may be open to question, but since we all (where necessary) use shoes understanding that they correct over-pronation (and that this is a "good thing") then it would seem that the use of orthotics - which, to my understanding simply amplify the affect, the support, beyond the range that shoes can - can be a "good thing" too.

For me it may be a moot point since hopefully after my Running School course, and all the work I'm putting in on it, my running style may be so transformed that even if I never have an injury again it'll be hard to define which thing had the important effect. Certainly all the problems I had with ITB - late 2009 and into 2010 - all arose when I upped my distance from regular 10k runner to do half marathons (with YOU ikle ). As yet I've not returned to running those kinds of distances so as and when I do ... we'll see

30/10/2012 at 21:55
Ikle - what was the question?
30/10/2012 at 22:13
What's your favourite Flower?
30/10/2012 at 22:18

oh that one!

Have to say I don't really have a favourite (how boring) as it changes through the seasons. I do, however, love a good vanda orchid!

31/10/2012 at 07:28

Morning all

Thats sucks Scott All the best

31/10/2012 at 10:06

Oh Scott that is really sh*tty for you.  You're right - you can get more running in and that will give you some vavavoom and endorphins to make you shine with positivity when you go for interviews.

Cicero - will be really interesting to see how your Running School experience helps. Are you planning on upping the distance or sticking with shorter, faster stuff?  Re orthotics etc - have you read Born to Run?  That's where my orthotic-related scepticism comes from.  I do wonder whether they're kind of seen as a quick fix sometimes when building core/glute/leg strength etc might do a better job. Cheaper, too.  DUnno. I think the jury's probably out for the next few years while the latest round of barefoot products have their effect.

31/10/2012 at 10:07

Dave - i will enter Fleet, promise.

31/10/2012 at 11:12

Scott sorry to hear about job.

Dave - I have entered the Fleet half to witness your running humiliation!!

Did short fast relay work last night which was tough going. Did club 10k at weekend and managed 48 minutes which was OK as I set off with the 50 minute group.

31/10/2012 at 11:15

I am looking for new job at moment as bit fed up with Legion. Two of the directors didn't support the creation of the role in the first place and since day one have made my ability to do job really difficult!! They are like children !!

31/10/2012 at 11:46
Hey! Don't diss children! I'm sitting in my car in the pouring rain trying to persuade myself to go surfing. There's hardly anyone out there! Hopefully no one will hire me a board. Heh. Need to surf really to justify my outrageous cooked breakfast!
31/10/2012 at 12:06

re hens orthotics comment, I was sold some years ago, kept getting sciatica.  Wore them for maybe two years.  Have now not worn them for ages, honestly cant see the difference! Apart from £250...

Don't suffer sciatica anymore, do get back ache but I am sat at a desk all day so its par for the course! I'm with you hen.

31/10/2012 at 14:19

I've got orthotics and it's possible that they've helped - or was it the exercises I did?  More likely a combination of the two I suppose. My pod was very good (I think) and took a very pragmatic, slow, gradual approach and didn't force me to buy orthotics.  But I think some are much more pushy and perhaps give the impression orthotics are the only way forward.

Thing is, how do you know you've got someone good? We're in their hands.

31/10/2012 at 15:20
Hi folks, thanks for the kind words of support.
31/10/2012 at 15:21
I am an estate agent, have been for best part of 15 years. It wasn't a complete shock, but I still can't get over it! Oh well, onwards and upwards.....
31/10/2012 at 16:00
Did you stop straight away, Scott? Will you apply for other estate agent posts or try something new?
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.