sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

62,681 to 62,700 of 67,712 messages
mcs
05/11/2012 at 12:05

FRC cant believe you have never heard of Joss Naylor, go and get his book out of the library, google him. A living legend, he lives in Wasdale. The greatest fell runner of his generation and still running in his late seventies.  Some great videos of him on Utube I think too.  Bootiful day here off to the bank in the Bakewell sunshine.

05/11/2012 at 12:17

What do people think of sweatshop? gait analysis buy trainer and also buy innersole molded to one's own foot. Not about to do it, but housemate did it and seemed v thorough. Interesting. Any thoughts or experiences? Seems expensive since the innersole is half the price of the trainer.

mcs
05/11/2012 at 13:55

Have you tried a sports physio rather than Sweatshop IM? They only want to sell things in a shop where as a sports physio want to get you right......all the best.

05/11/2012 at 14:15

Ikle - agree with mcs.  It may be fine at Sweatshop but they don't really know about biomechanics.  Not really - not as much as a physio, whatever they say.

05/11/2012 at 14:58

Thanks for responses. mcs, it took me ages to work out that IM was me! I always think of myself as IB! =) No, you misunderstand me, I'm not about to do it myself. I'm doing running school I think. Reckon biomechanics are the way forward, I was just surprised that there was a running shop gait analysis that was yet again completely different to anything I had experienced before. I wonder how Susan got on. I'm at work but too shattered to do anything. Always sleep SO badly the day before I go back to work...

05/11/2012 at 15:10
mcs, shall look Naylor up, Im more a Coe / Ovett era person. Was just looking across to Wasdale this morning actually.

Ikle, Go with the Physio if it's that bad - what does the gait assessment say? Is it that bad you need custom insoles, and for one foot, both? (I had a "short" leg so needed something on left leg) If they do improve your arch /gait / style in 6 months time, is that another pair needed doing?

I used to wear lovely big Chelsea boots but really tough on heels. You don't wear running shoes that often so would you need them for all shoes/ heels ultimately?
mcs
05/11/2012 at 15:20

Naylor was winning all the fell races in the 70s. Just got his book from the library at lunch time so fantastic pictures of the lakes in them. FRC that sounds like you live somewhere bootiful.....there was snow on the tops on Great Gable and Scafell Pike last week got some great pictures. Mind you not bad here in Bakewell today.

05/11/2012 at 16:20

FRC- Well done there will be other days. Also if you want to read a fantastic fell running book try "feet in the clouds"

MCS- Sounds like a great weekend maybe after Comrades next year may give a fell race a go will need something different to aim for.

Wonder how Susan is feeling. Must have been so good to help others finish their first marathon and not care about times not to mention France.

Just had an e-mail which Im a bit excited about, Im doing a one of "foxy Daves" marathons Sunday (not mentioned before as its not an A race) anyway Steve Smith who I have read about will be attempting his 500th sub 3.30 marathon nice to be part of it

05/11/2012 at 16:23

afternoon all

hen I know she is so so cute!

guys I cant stop long as I am at work, but guess who might have a vlm club place??? also who turns 55  next year (keep that quiet) which means (I believe) gfa is 4.15....

Edited: 05/11/2012 at 16:23
05/11/2012 at 16:35

ooooh Wabo....

+1 for Feet in the Clouds.

I have news

05/11/2012 at 17:07
wow lou how great is that
05/11/2012 at 17:10
Sorry wabo on the phone but hope u have as I think you will become the 2nd on the thread to have a place and a great target to go for
05/11/2012 at 20:48

echo what martin says lou, thats brilliant and so well written 

05/11/2012 at 21:36

Rarr! Is it just that I'm tired or does no one seem to be reading me properly?!! I'm NOT panicking, not about to do gait analysis number two thousand and seven. My knee is NOT bad. In fact at the moment it doesn't hurt me a bit because I'm not running more than 6 miles on it, due to the fact I'm only training for 5 and 10ks. My pronation is mild and more pronounced on my right leg, I do believe. I'll be interested in what my free analysis thingy at running school turns up (on the 28th November). The end.

Nice article, AH! Brrrr!!

06/11/2012 at 10:18
Okey.

Great article AH. Really well written. There is a book in there surely?

Mcs, I'm on a few days break, Windermere. I've got the clouds book already, but just starting the chrissie Wellington one.
Actually AH, forgot to say my club coach and another runner did the tri world championships 2 weeks ago, as part of GB team. He was telling us stories of being sat at breakfast with the Brownlee boys, also the GB girl who came 5th? They had a great time. Almost makes me tempted. Loved watching it on TV.

Wabo, that would be great news if you're in. My GFA target is a little tougher. Ulp.
06/11/2012 at 10:58

Mojo...where are you?

06/11/2012 at 11:01

That's not my lost cat (not that I have a cat that's lost, or called Mojo) but more the feeling that due to heavy work commitments my running has tapered off to the point that I really struggled to complete 5 miles last week and now it's a new week... here's to it!

06/11/2012 at 11:10

who is Mojo?

I am back from the Riviera, number 11 ticked off and a personal worst by soooome way!  what can I say - like you say Martin in a way - no pressure, a gentle jog - nice scenery and in some measure it was all that... but towards the end (well from about 18 miles really) actually really worrying if mate will finish - will she collapse?? she had a weird moment could not breathe got all wobbly - sort of panic attack? 

In short because although I did not take notes I will tell you a bit - is a lovely route.. the expo etc was fine - long day friday getting there - 13 of us in total - 6 in relay - mums and daughters, 5 doing marathon, one registered but bad knee meant she could not contemplate full mara so ran first leg of relay - one other not trained as got left behind on mileage over summer - only done up to 7 miles in training - did half marathon last year - was just going to see which relay point she could get to.

all the usual stresses of day before and double that with two newbies who both for their reasons were very tense and emotional - usual not sleeping in hotel rooms, and flights causing lack of regualrity of visits to the loo - you know what I mean..  forecast of heavy rain.... actually started grey but not cold - too warm for me at 8am I say - comfortable in shorts and t shirt!!! like london this year - forecast rain so I put in contacts - and again no rain on run but very humid.. I was a big negative about this.. our gang was strangely subdued - I think the overwhelmingness of it all was hiting the marathon virgins and Sian who had not done one for two years.  we set off in practically silence... dawn just broken - nice start Nice is lovely ..

06/11/2012 at 11:17

... think we had exhausted games and distraction techniques on our twenty miler and it was quiet - we all stayed together - I kept holding them back - really trying not to let them go faster than ten min miles trying to keep it slower given how they ran on 20 miler.  Amanda who did Brighton last year and Alice who had not trained kept straining to go ahead - finally I gave up telling them and they went on a bit - we kept seeing various members of our relay team at various points which was a bit of distraction . nice coast line - not much crowd support but where there was they were sweet - 78 per cent of runners men so a gaggle of women of a certain age made them all shout a lot and our names were on our numbers.. Shade who I was running with is very tall about 6 fft very very slim and beautiful and mixed race and she got plenty of support !!! bless her... stopped around 8 miles for Sian to go to the loo - bit of dithering here and there - ran up and down swithcbacks near a huge marina very nice - was feeling tired already!!  as I say not sure when Amanda and Alice went on but of course for the two newbies that was preying on their minds a bit really - they had put in all this training and Alice had gone running on ahead.. how could she? surely she would not finish? ..

06/11/2012 at 11:28

not sure when me and Shade drifted ahead of Florence and Sian but we did .. we went up qute a steep hill.. walked it .. near Antibe - very pretty through the town, quite a lot of crowd supoport saw a coupld of serpies watching... on we went but the walking had started so now we did it quite a lot... well it felt like it .. no idea if we really did .. was not as humid now.. seem to have held off the sun thank god - it was muggy and grey.. nice scenery, a few more hills it seemed.. began to like th kms when we got to 30 km... only a 10km and a bit to go... Shade struggling.. but walked a bit , ran some more.. had her funny moment not quite sure when - 21 miles or so?? made her walk for a while as was scared - she has not been 100 per cent in last few weeks , had an ear infection and is too under weight I think so I was worrried - known her kids since nursery and could not let anything horrid happen to her... she must have been soooo fed up with me asking if she was alright... we were at 23 miles at 4.20 and I siad if we trid to keep pace we might get in under 5 hours. but was worried that would stress her more but wanted to encourage her (and wanted to get to the end!!!!) so we struggled on - three french ladies running near us amused us by singing quite a lot - that raised the spirits a bit as it was very spread out by now - we were near the back!!! but on we went.. walked a bit more - glanced at watch .. we were not going to make it under 5 hours but we were going to make it!!! she was going to finish her marathon - got a text from Sian (bless her) who was doing similar job with Florence - Florence has lost 5 stone in the last 18 months and gone from un confident runner at the back with really low self esteem to a proud if anxious runner - they were a ltttle way behind us.. coming along the croissette in Cannes it really started to rain .. but we saw the end.. we saw all the relay girls!!! we had done it.  I really cant remember the time - 5 .06 or 08 who knows but she had done it.. a year ago she had to pull out of the Royal parks half with a very dodgy back - told possilby running was not for her..... docs worried about her bones not being strong enough... so we were very happy - I held her as we tried to get dry trousers over leggings - made her eat some french frut bread handed out at the end.. and made her sit down when she wanted to go and try and see Sian and Florence - they were about 15 20 mins after us - Florence wasvery  very emotional and Shelagh with the bad bad knee who could not run and cannot run over 5km came to find us and we all had a goood old cry.... 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.