sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

62,761 to 62,780 of 67,842 messages
11/11/2012 at 15:56

Sorry Martin there's no WAY I could run at 8.xx pace in a mara, even with walk breaks.  Mind you I sometimes wonder if I really should just HTFU and stop *thinking* slow thoughts.

AMAZING swim this morning. About to blog about it because it was just so uplifting and so different to the one a couple of weeks ago which I think really freaked me out.  Don't know what's changed -but my mental attitude may have a lot to do with it. And I don't think the sea temp has dropped that much lately which perhaps has given me a chance to acclimatise a bit.  And of course the wonderful sunny blue sky is massively helpful.  But today was 37.xx mins. Actually did some faster swimming as training rather than just swimming to try to warm up. And a lovely atmosphere, too. 6 of us all similarly paced having a huge laugh.  We even did the Seal Salute (whipped off our costumes and whizzed them round our heads).

Then a good walk with AR which helped because we needed to sort loads of stuff out. Then a quick snifter at the pub and now am on the sofa in front of the rugby. Need to do the ironing though..zzzz

Awesome marathons Jovi and Martin.

11/11/2012 at 18:31
Great marathons J&M. Jovi looking great for 2013, Martin for Comrades.

AH I'm sure you could do 8:30-45 miles, rest every mile for 15-25 seconds, or more every 3-5mi. Like an interval session with recoveries? When you think of your amazing ironman 2012 & swimming this year coming, is anything impossible?
Swim sounds great today.

Latest Garmins have a run / walk timer feature by the way.

Toying with the idea of doing a marathon Dec 31st or Jan 1st as ultra training for Feb fun with Jovi, there is a cheap single or double on in Liverpool, out & back 4 times on flat route. Was thinking of run/ walk for that.

Another league race today, still a bit coughy lung wise after stomach bug last Sunday, also left achilles was bit sore Thu/Fri but managed 34 mins for 5.4 miles. All miles under 6:30 mm, last full one 6:16, and last 0.4m sub 6 min pace. Got to be happy about that.
11/11/2012 at 19:50
How much did Martin charge you Dave la Fleur ?
11/11/2012 at 19:54
Wendy .. Thought 3.26 was a PB by more than a few secs but 3.36 is awesome as any thing.

Old work mate died of heart attack last Tuesday, was very sad and weird as we are saving a twenty year reunion and we had been texting about it and he was really looking forward to it, now he is dead.
11/11/2012 at 20:41

Oh Susan . What a horrible shock. Carpe diem.

Seems a bit blunt to post my blog now, but it does talk about feeling glad to be alive so here goes.

11/11/2012 at 21:52
Susan sorry to here your news

Lou Ive not seen you since Leicester. You remember that bloke who could never do a sub 4. Well talking to him it seems that negative thoughts did have an impact. Ive said it before but with your stamina base I know you could do it. Post chanel swim have another go.
11/11/2012 at 22:00

I made it to the 10k in Battersea Park yesterday and it went well although I didn't quite PB: Time 40:54 - 3 seconds outside. Splits 04:02, 04:02, 04:01, 04:01, 04:05, 04:03, 04:12, 04:12, 04:07, 04:09. (I actually thought I was running at 4:00/km over the early kilometres, but my watch very slightly over recorded the distance as 10.1 km.)

I just didn't have the stamina to maintain my pace. Up until k7 I felt really comfortable at the pace of around 4:00/km, but at that point fatigue hit. As iklebutn noted in our Skype conversation this evening "hardly surprising with all the parkruns". Also my Running School course spanned half of Septmenber and all of October and as a result I was running short intervals and focussing on technique - nothing over 10k in October. Time to up the mileage over the winter! I'm hopeful that with increased stamina I can get much closer to my 40 minute goal.

11/11/2012 at 22:05

So sorry to hear your news Susan.

11/11/2012 at 22:45
Sorry to hear that Susan.
mcs
12/11/2012 at 09:50

Bad news Susan. Friend of mine died this August only 50 with brain tumour he had run London Marathon at least six times under the banner with a championship place and was a sub three hour runner.  He got married two years ago for the first time to a friend of ours and then got this earlier this year, went blind and suffered badly. Really tragic..... ENJOY life folks its very short........ Sorry to mention that, must be Monday morning blues!!
Great running to those who went sub four this weekend very envious. Well done.
Had a 7.5 miler yesterday morning watching the sun come up over Monsal Head as I came out of one of the tunnels on the trail, lovely run. Rabbits, birds, heron in the river and not a single person around, well it was 7.30am.  Need to build stamina over the winter as anything over about 17-18 miles my stick legs dont like. Any suggestions? The ticker is good its the legs that let me down or maybe its the head?

12/11/2012 at 10:51

Gosh Susan and mcs sorry to hear of sad things.

Yes, life is short but wide.

12/11/2012 at 12:27

mcs, as AH said... Carpe Diem. Sure we've all regretted things we haven't done or said to friends/ family, then you leave too late. I have 3 sisters and didn't talk to one for 3-4 years.. we don't get on that well, but have made up.

That early morning run sounds lovely. As for endurance, a longer weekend run, mine is always 11-12 miles minimum, but often more. Also strengthen the legs? You get speed & endurance then - that really has worked for me, going sub 3:30 and from 48 min to 40 min 10k in a year. Could be at a gym, or at home. Only need a few things.

Cicero, your answer is a lot like mcs's but for 10k distance - you need to get longer runs in, maybe 8-10 miles for endurance? Also need to be sub 4 min km to get your target, say 3:55, even less if an undulating course. Maybe book a half marathon to help. Time on your technique will pay off soon.

I'm just waiting on the right 10k course to go sub 40 min after that race yesterday, worked out average 6:20 min mile pace for ~5.4 miles. So close.

AH noticed any theraputic benefits with the cold swimming? I read a bit about cold thermogenesis and wondered. and no I'm not tempted. heard mentions of better sleep, recovery etc. Or just a placebo thing.

http://www.fitnessfg.com/2012/07/cold-thermogenesis-fitness-feature-you.html

Edited: 12/11/2012 at 12:28
mcs
12/11/2012 at 13:29

Just going to start a 16 week schedule to a 9th March race, its a 21 mile very hilly fell, road, trail, field race near us. So going to imagine its a marathon and use a marathon schedule. I have plugged in my 1.42.50 half marathon time and 25 to 30 miles per week training on the RW Smart Coach and notice immediately that the Sunday long runs are longer than I have been doing. It starts with a 10 miler so guess I need to up the longer runs. Find them abit boring, when training for Edinburgh this year when I missed by 8 minutes I did most of the long runs bar one I think. Did tend to run them abit fast so probably an error.  My 10k time done in training not in a proper race is 46 minutes but that was on my own, so know with others around me could do better.  Off to google leg strengthen exercises. I do cycle but maybe need to up the mileage and do more hills.

12/11/2012 at 13:48

hi all

jovi thats pretty amazing that time! Well done you, considering you have had a lay off this year as well

bl**dy hell hen! Seal salute! Nippy.....

frc, oh yes you got to be happy with that! Nice one

oh susan, how very sad.  sorry to hear that, you just so have to live for the moment eh? xx

cicero, still thats a good time! well done

I so hope I get a vlm clubplace, got to wait and see. Been told its pretty odds on so I am upping training now.

On a different note, jodie gian and cleo want to come to the uk for 6 months!!! Jodie asked could they...like I could ever say no??

12/11/2012 at 15:17

Yes mcs, hills and more hills and let's not forget single leg squats, eh?! I'm really looking forward to starting marathon training. I've started a diet healthy eating thing today. Want to lose 7 kilos and eat healthily. Wish me luck! No more sweets, beer and chocolate! And just one day off for actual Christmas. Heh. =)

mcs
12/11/2012 at 15:46

Just had to have a snicker, oops they were four for a £1 in the Coop and I was very hungry after 30 plus miles last week. I am lucky at 6.2 inches weighing in at 175 kilos 12 stone, all the time but I tend to steer clear of the alcohol which is the only thing that puts weight on me........Hills it is then. My route home is flat need to change that me thinks.

12/11/2012 at 17:07

Nothing wrong with a snicker that a marathon won't fix

I need to eat a bit extra for blood sugar level so with you on the food front.

+1 for the hills. Either as one of your speed sessions or stick more in your midweek or long run. 6-8 weeks you will be flying. We have a regular club session named "the 10 hills of Hell", aptly named, different length & gradient hills 200-400 metres, flat out with recoveries. Sunday run has hills too.

Lots more you can do than single leg squats. I go for single leg hops, lateral skaters. Box jumps - then when you can do them, single leg hop onto the box or a step (from 4" to 24"). Add weighted split squats and reverse lunges both work each leg. Standing up on a box or bench alternate legs with kettle bell or barbell great to improve that leg "drive" - like in hill run. Can do all of these at home. Doing intervals, hills, jumps will give you 7-8 % increase, say 2-3 % each

Related http://thesportfactory.com/site/trainingnews/increasing5k10running.shtml

12/11/2012 at 18:32
Alright, fancypants, I was just sharing my slender portion of running expertise... tongue sticking out icon. Thbbbb.
12/11/2012 at 19:34

Next year's thread meet-up sorted - take a peek! 

12/11/2012 at 20:31

What about an up north event! LOL  

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.