sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

62,781 to 62,800 of 67,258 messages
12/11/2012 at 13:48

hi all

jovi thats pretty amazing that time! Well done you, considering you have had a lay off this year as well

bl**dy hell hen! Seal salute! Nippy.....

frc, oh yes you got to be happy with that! Nice one

oh susan, how very sad.  sorry to hear that, you just so have to live for the moment eh? xx

cicero, still thats a good time! well done

I so hope I get a vlm clubplace, got to wait and see. Been told its pretty odds on so I am upping training now.

On a different note, jodie gian and cleo want to come to the uk for 6 months!!! Jodie asked could they...like I could ever say no??

12/11/2012 at 15:17

Yes mcs, hills and more hills and let's not forget single leg squats, eh?! I'm really looking forward to starting marathon training. I've started a diet healthy eating thing today. Want to lose 7 kilos and eat healthily. Wish me luck! No more sweets, beer and chocolate! And just one day off for actual Christmas. Heh. =)

mcs
12/11/2012 at 15:46

Just had to have a snicker, oops they were four for a £1 in the Coop and I was very hungry after 30 plus miles last week. I am lucky at 6.2 inches weighing in at 175 kilos 12 stone, all the time but I tend to steer clear of the alcohol which is the only thing that puts weight on me........Hills it is then. My route home is flat need to change that me thinks.

12/11/2012 at 17:07

Nothing wrong with a snicker that a marathon won't fix

I need to eat a bit extra for blood sugar level so with you on the food front.

+1 for the hills. Either as one of your speed sessions or stick more in your midweek or long run. 6-8 weeks you will be flying. We have a regular club session named "the 10 hills of Hell", aptly named, different length & gradient hills 200-400 metres, flat out with recoveries. Sunday run has hills too.

Lots more you can do than single leg squats. I go for single leg hops, lateral skaters. Box jumps - then when you can do them, single leg hop onto the box or a step (from 4" to 24"). Add weighted split squats and reverse lunges both work each leg. Standing up on a box or bench alternate legs with kettle bell or barbell great to improve that leg "drive" - like in hill run. Can do all of these at home. Doing intervals, hills, jumps will give you 7-8 % increase, say 2-3 % each

Related http://thesportfactory.com/site/trainingnews/increasing5k10running.shtml

12/11/2012 at 18:32
Alright, fancypants, I was just sharing my slender portion of running expertise... tongue sticking out icon. Thbbbb.
12/11/2012 at 19:34

Next year's thread meet-up sorted - take a peek! 

12/11/2012 at 20:31

What about an up north event! LOL  

12/11/2012 at 20:51
Fancypants reporting for dutee ((Ikle)).

DtF, that's a rigged photo! Those people are doing Edinburgh half... I recognise the logo. Hence the blurred out tops. Naughty.

Does a meet up have to mean some sort of event? AH or Ikle posted something in Cornwall I think in Sept. There is also Thunder Run. We could drink booze, BBQ and eat cake whilst Jovi runs past

Any inkling of a Xmas meet?
12/11/2012 at 20:54
Hi, anyone out there that has done a sub 3.30 marathon with no more than 3 runs per week ala the furman institute training plans. Would be really interested to hear peoples thoughts!
12/11/2012 at 21:45
Hi Rob this is a sub 4 hour thread and although some speedsters on here not sub 3. 30 yet .. Are there? Colin? FRC ?
12/11/2012 at 22:19

Dave - have had a look at that mara.  Wierd site.  No info at all about the course. Suppose they coudl make it more or less all flat but they have done a bournemouth mara in the past and they had to run up and down the overcliff which is quite major although maybe there isn't much of a cliff between B'mouth and Boscombe - not sure. What do you think?

Rob - Susan said what I thought.

Ikle I love your sound effects. "Thbbb"

12/11/2012 at 22:25

FRC - thanks for that link re cold water immersion.  The blog post was a bit imprenetrable but I'll listen to the podcast it's about and see if I can make any sense of it.

I think it's too early to notice any benefits to be honest. Certainly not sleeping well, but that's because of other things. I think I must be acclimatising to the temperatures though.

12/11/2012 at 23:13
Splutter. Susan. 3:28 at Edinburgh in May and aiming for 3:15 at VLM.
Doh, that was meant to be secret

Remember I owe you at least 2 drinks if we have a meet up.

I only run 3 times a week for that too. Rob, you would be better posting on Minni's 3:30 thread. But PM if you want.
12/11/2012 at 23:39
Thanks susan!

Frc - yep will pm. Really keen to understand if people have any unorthodox training plans that do not involve racking up miles irrespective of target time.
13/11/2012 at 04:14
It's all the rage, doing Sod All.
13/11/2012 at 07:38

4.14????

Trouble sleeping, Ikle?

Off for a swim.

13/11/2012 at 07:54
Less is more Rob, although I have never gone super sub 4 but I live up to my name!
13/11/2012 at 10:04

Rob - although I have done a lot of miles in the last 3 months generally I am a big fan of less is more - I ran an ultra off the back of only 25 miles a week.  Even in the lead up to marathons I've only twice done 50 miles a week and usually peak at 35 so by most training plans that is quite low.  I am a huge fan of the FIRST programme - three runs a week - they concentrate on quality over quantity so you do a speed session, a tempo session and a long run. Several of us on here have used it, Paces are quicker than some other training plans but you do a lot less miles.  They also suggest cross training but I've only ever done that one one schedule and usually I just stick to the running bit. Re whether you can do less is more ie 3 runs a week for sub a sub 3:30 I'd definitely say yes! I've done a few sub 4s now and can def recommend the plan. I just did 3:36 this weekend (on the comeback from injury trail - see below) and would am confident I would have cracked the sub 3:30 in April at VLM had I not broken my foot and ended up at A&E at halfway! They do one thats for people who've done several marathons but that is basically just more mileage so I always stick to the beginners plan one. Here's the link:  http://marathon.harvard.edu/images/first_first.pdf

Edited: 13/11/2012 at 10:08
13/11/2012 at 10:11

I can definitely recommend the Thunder Run as a good meet up. Entries are open for it now - I'm back with my old team in 2013 - can't wait.  

mcs
13/11/2012 at 11:09

Thunder Run..........interested.  a chap on another Forum ran solo this year and did over 100 miles Taffy. Anybody know him. Ex army I believe. He has been injured since though so not recommending a solo effort.
Leg working time. Starting a 16 week training schedule for a race on 9th March a 21miler.....Grindleford Gallop and its very hilly all round the edges of Derbyshire above Chatsworth, recommend you check out the photos on their site.  Used the smart coach on here.........so many to choose from, but had to choose a marathon one. Unless anyone has any other briliant ideas?

At least I will go sub four on a 21 mile hilly fell race!! Hopefully!!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.