sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

62,821 to 62,840 of 67,685 messages
15/11/2012 at 22:14

Not waist - arse!

15/11/2012 at 22:36
Someone stop me ive had a c@@p day at work drunk to much and now thinking about entering a 100 mile run.
15/11/2012 at 23:15
Trouble with shoes is they might need to be pronaty shoes huh? I have a petzl head torch for camping. Might train in it for fun see how it feels...
15/11/2012 at 23:31
This is on top of Comrades next year? Martin you are mad but we love you.

Go on, do it !

O4S on another thread does lots of 50 & 100 milers, like Rotherham. Has WT done one?
16/11/2012 at 00:00

hi all, very new to this forum,( apologies in advance my enter button doesn't work so sorry for the sentence structure. I'm running the london marathon next year and looking to achieve a sub 4hr marathon and anything under that is a bonus, I enjoy running but its more the competitive side of it for me, I havent run since the bath half in 2009, so i started a month ago and have been doing about 20-25 miles a week and riding to work, I ran the sodbury slog on sunday which went really well, it as given me some renewed vigour, does anyone live in Bath who is also training for the London Marathon?

16/11/2012 at 07:11

ooooh me legs!

Tuesday's sprints left me sore and achy and last nights swift 5 miles has compounded the DOMS.... Gopsort Half maybe more of a challenge than I'd hoped!

Martin - at least you're only thinking about entering a 100 mile race  - let's hope your day is better today and you think again. Although I'm sure you'd be fine. BTW I did get your FB message the other day - I'll let you know about that! 

Welcome Andrew - don't think any of us are near Bath we're fairly spread across the country. Mileage-wise you sound on course but what sort of times are you doing at the moment? Have you done a Marathon before?

AH - I'll find you on Sunday morning (assuming you're in club kit) - will you have a muster point? Looking forward to seeing you.. been ages! 

mcs
16/11/2012 at 09:32

Nice blog Artful you are bonkers swimming in the sea in November!!!!!! Crazy........ Respect!!! Just entered the Grindleford Gallop for March 9th time to get training up the hills seriously........

16/11/2012 at 09:52

Silly Dtf with a half so soon. I was chatting to running pal last night (doing Brecon Beacons 45 miler Saturday)  as we run a steady 5-6 miles at 8-9mm.. many at the club still aim to do every session hard. Just not possible, body needs some easy runs to recover. Its actually one of the reasons I was against joining a club.

My old Suunto watch actually used to help with this, heart rate based gave each  run/gym or cardio session a Training Effect score of 1-5, 2-3 maintaining fitness, 4 building, 5 at max and then recovery needed. Gave you a nice schedule for the week that adjusted as you worked out, told you suggested level of next workout.

Garmin have now added this TE number to the latest models, 610 & 910. Hope they add it to others in firmware. Excellent feature, like your own little coach.

Welcome Andrew. Just the one half in 2009 and nothing since mileage wise? Take it steady. I'm doing London too. The thread here was kept me going through my first marathon sub 4, to second and beyond, first ultra. They're (we ) are all lovely and lots of motivation, tips and generally just nice people. All inspiring.

Edited: 16/11/2012 at 09:52
16/11/2012 at 10:39
Morning all,

DTF - I have a running partner but maybe on the longer runs would be good to find a buddy who is running London, No marathon before, prior to this I play a lot of sport and gym 3 times a week cardio, core with some light weights.

I'm running comfortable 8minute miles with hills which range between 4-7 mile runs, with a longer run on sunday, my flat pace ath present is 7:30, with some in the tank, I ran the sodbury slog last weekend which is a cross country 9.2 mile course, sheep dips, some trudging through muddt hills and a reasonable hills for good measure, I finished that in 1hr 19minutes

Fit running cat - I haven't done any specific running since the Bath half just a 15minute warm up at the gym, and what i get through on a football match, I do enjoy getting through some mileage on my racer.

I'm glad you found encouragement from this forum as I can see there will be times where a little push will help.

One little question, I've started using a golf ball at work at my desk to roll my feet out, does anyone else do this?

Cheers Andy

16/11/2012 at 12:50

FRC - the Half is not so serious to be honest and I only entered the other day as I was supposed to be in Canada this week. If I can get around in a reasonable time I'll be happy - a PB and I'll be ecstatic!

Andy - sounds like your on the road to sub 4 but never under estimate the distance. My first marathon was really hard and I thought I was doing so well to get near 4 hours (ended up 4:26 ish). Took me 3 attempts to get sub 4. Time on your feet built up slowly from mid December may be the best way to approach it, along with a plan that fits in with normal life!

16/11/2012 at 12:58

Dave, yes I'll be in club kit but it'll be covered up with a faded black WADAC hoodie.  We tend to meet inside the sports hall before the race. TBH everyone does so it shouldn't be hard to spot each other.  Forecast is lovely.  I'm not running today or tomorrow to try to stop my knees hurting.  Did think I'd go to the gym though to do some core and strength work.  Then thought I'd do it at home. In fact I've made some brownies and some lunch. But I AM in my kit so you never know what this afternoon might bring.

Yes Ikle - trail shoes need to be 'right' just like road shoes.

Also Ikle (and anyone else with ITB issues) - have a look at this.  It's quite technical but I think you'd get something out of it that might be useful.  You might not want to read through all the comments at the end but take my word for it, there's a right old ding dong going on - a full and frank discussion among professionals - about who's right, what's wrong etc etc. Suffice to say, ITB causes aren't straightforward and neither are the treatments. I feel a blog coming on.

mcs
16/11/2012 at 13:51

Dont use a golf ball but do sit on a Swizz ball at my desk more comfortable than a chair for my long back. Enjoy the half Dave and anyone else racing. Done 20 miles this week so far and heading out for a ten on Sunday so keeping the miles going..

16/11/2012 at 16:13

Andrew Hicks - welcome - you're on the right thread for support for a sub 4- I first posted here about 5 years ago and have never looked back.  As others have said, never underestimate the distance.  When I did my first marathon I was comfortably doing about 1:45 - 1:50 halfs but did 4:07.  Im sure others have said to you already but the marahton is really two races - the first 20 miles and the next 6.2.  I've now done 16 marahtons and that last 6.2 never gets any easier!  The hardest thing for a first marathon IMO is actually gwtting to the start line uninjured - the increased mileage can tip you over into injury and its a fine balancing act between doing enough and not doing too much.  Personally I find 3 quality runs a week work for me - a speed session, a tempo session and a long run.  Others do more mileage but for target mrathons in a 16 week training plan I usually only do one or two 20 milers in the 16 week build up and the rest of my ling runs are 15-18.

Fido - welcome back - good to hear from you. Good to hear yourjob is safe - hope you can enjoy the rest of your hols - sounds great travelling by train across Europe.

AH - swimming in the sea at anytime is brave - at this time of year its positively bonkers - is swimming in such cold water good for getting heart rate down? 

Edited: 16/11/2012 at 16:15
16/11/2012 at 22:24
Sanity may have returned been reading some of the 100 miler threads VERY scary

hello Andrew great thread we will help out dont be put off by some of the tmes runs we all wanted a sub 4 when we joined
16/11/2012 at 23:57
AH good article .from your earlier suggestions, I usually massage glute & tfl, plus quads and top outside of calf, I guess all interconnect to ITB. Works for me.

Andrew, get a couple of halfs booked to give you something to measure against, or a Jan 10k & half in March. Doing the actual marathon is very different. I played football till recently, good for speed.

Ikle, do you need orthotics or over pronating support in trail shoes? I thought impact was less, and legs able to cope. Sure I read this somewhere.
This thread seems to back that up a little.

Good luck to runners this weekend. I may have special news tomorrow
17/11/2012 at 09:51
Thanks for advice AH and FRC. much appreciated. I shall look into it. Maybe I could ask the gait analysis man @ running school. Just did Parkrun. Super fun. Felt good. Reckon about 24:15 not far off PB. Amazing how much q7icker one is after a week of eating well and not drinking! XO
17/11/2012 at 10:07
And training of course. But I did train last week too and only managed 25. I think I did an interval run too close... I have lost over a kilo this week too. That must help everything!?!
17/11/2012 at 10:46
Running off road lessens impact but doesn't change your biomechanics so you'll have the same shoe needs, I'd have thought, whatever your views on the shoe/barefoot debate.

Jovi, re heart rate aNd cold water swimming - there's loads if into out there on benefits (over and above endorphins etc) but I'm having to work hard to pull it all together and understand it. There's something called cold thermogenesis and a podcast about that pointed at all sorts of performance enhancements for athletes that gave benefits without training - just because it makes you more more metabolically efficient. To be honest I've never really noticed what my HR does during a cold swim. For most of the swim it feels like hard work - either because adrenaline is sky high when you first get in, or you're working hard to get warm. But then the cold on your skin does wierd things to your breathing (an instinctive, neural response) which can confuse what you're actually feeling. I suppose hr might also go up when you're working hard to swim later in the swim and your nerves and muscles are getting sluggish because they're not getting much warm blood.
17/11/2012 at 10:48
Martin, I have a lovely client who did his first 100 miler in July and is similar in experience to you. Can put you in touch if you like?
17/11/2012 at 15:58
Ikle, may depend how wet it is at TR24. You could run in normal shoes if grippy. AH in the rw link, there was someone who ran in orthotics normally but ran without doing trail as they were advised. Suppose it depends on the knee or hip issue.

In other news, not on FB. I am officially very VERY happy

You remember I got a stomach bug flu just before my half 2 weeks ago?

I had a half marathon today. It was better than awesome. I flew.

1:29:29 !

More later. So happy. PB by 6 minutes, splits impossible even 3 months ago. Wow. Chuffed.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.