sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

62,841 to 62,860 of 67,288 messages
16/11/2012 at 22:24
Sanity may have returned been reading some of the 100 miler threads VERY scary

hello Andrew great thread we will help out dont be put off by some of the tmes runs we all wanted a sub 4 when we joined
16/11/2012 at 23:57
AH good article .from your earlier suggestions, I usually massage glute & tfl, plus quads and top outside of calf, I guess all interconnect to ITB. Works for me.

Andrew, get a couple of halfs booked to give you something to measure against, or a Jan 10k & half in March. Doing the actual marathon is very different. I played football till recently, good for speed.

Ikle, do you need orthotics or over pronating support in trail shoes? I thought impact was less, and legs able to cope. Sure I read this somewhere.
This thread seems to back that up a little.

Good luck to runners this weekend. I may have special news tomorrow
17/11/2012 at 09:51
Thanks for advice AH and FRC. much appreciated. I shall look into it. Maybe I could ask the gait analysis man @ running school. Just did Parkrun. Super fun. Felt good. Reckon about 24:15 not far off PB. Amazing how much q7icker one is after a week of eating well and not drinking! XO
17/11/2012 at 10:07
And training of course. But I did train last week too and only managed 25. I think I did an interval run too close... I have lost over a kilo this week too. That must help everything!?!
17/11/2012 at 10:46
Running off road lessens impact but doesn't change your biomechanics so you'll have the same shoe needs, I'd have thought, whatever your views on the shoe/barefoot debate.

Jovi, re heart rate aNd cold water swimming - there's loads if into out there on benefits (over and above endorphins etc) but I'm having to work hard to pull it all together and understand it. There's something called cold thermogenesis and a podcast about that pointed at all sorts of performance enhancements for athletes that gave benefits without training - just because it makes you more more metabolically efficient. To be honest I've never really noticed what my HR does during a cold swim. For most of the swim it feels like hard work - either because adrenaline is sky high when you first get in, or you're working hard to get warm. But then the cold on your skin does wierd things to your breathing (an instinctive, neural response) which can confuse what you're actually feeling. I suppose hr might also go up when you're working hard to swim later in the swim and your nerves and muscles are getting sluggish because they're not getting much warm blood.
17/11/2012 at 10:48
Martin, I have a lovely client who did his first 100 miler in July and is similar in experience to you. Can put you in touch if you like?
17/11/2012 at 15:58
Ikle, may depend how wet it is at TR24. You could run in normal shoes if grippy. AH in the rw link, there was someone who ran in orthotics normally but ran without doing trail as they were advised. Suppose it depends on the knee or hip issue.

In other news, not on FB. I am officially very VERY happy

You remember I got a stomach bug flu just before my half 2 weeks ago?

I had a half marathon today. It was better than awesome. I flew.

1:29:29 !

More later. So happy. PB by 6 minutes, splits impossible even 3 months ago. Wow. Chuffed.
17/11/2012 at 19:31
Well done FRC. Super sooper!
17/11/2012 at 19:33

Awesome FRC - hope it's a good omen for me at Gosport!!

17/11/2012 at 20:48
I think it would be fun 2 have some trail shoes...
17/11/2012 at 21:00
Go for it Ikle. Have a look here perhaps?

Looking at the stats, 4 x 5k (plus a bit after), all under 21:30. Honestly mind blowing. 21:30 was my 5k PB till April. Seriously, wow. It was the Panther legs!

In other news, Movember. Yes. I was running as David Bedford, and got a few shouts

Have a great race DtF & AH.
17/11/2012 at 21:00
FRC amazing time. Congrats
18/11/2012 at 00:08

Nice HM FRC. Really good and with consistent 5k splits too.

18/11/2012 at 16:16

One word for todays Half... not repeatable here though!

However, worth the trip just to meet up with AH (albeit briefly) 

18/11/2012 at 16:32
Aww Dave you old smoothie. I managed to leave my phone at home which is a shame because it would have been nice to have a photo. Let's hope we're still meeting up at races in 20 and 30 years time!

I had a lovely day. Started off really slowly and stayed slow. I was running with a friend but let him go off with another team member. He slowed and I got him at 6 miles, then just kept plugging along. It's the third time I've done this race so I knew where I was and when I could push. Started to pick it up a smidge at 10 miles and managed to keep accelerating. Lovely confidence boost to pass so many people in the last few miles. Not an amazing time - 1.56:06 - but I really didn't think I'd break 2 hours!

My amazing son did 1.26.06 without turning himself inside out. A whole 30 mins faster than his mum!
18/11/2012 at 17:01
Nice run AH. And DtF! You still ran, and also off the back of a great marathon.

Just writing race report, still on cloud 18. 9 is so pass??. It was that good.
18/11/2012 at 17:23
Awesome runs folks. Well done. Would not call that SLOW AH .... And FRC really amazing, you really are on the wrong thread.

St Neots is SUCH a prettY run, gorgeous weather, really just wanted to get round and enjoy.. Sound familiar, was really lovely ran with Liz all the way, her first run back post bunion op. was comfortable and enjoyed every step. 2. 06 two weeks post Nice, so just glad my legs stayed on .. Great technical t shirt, check it out on FB
18/11/2012 at 17:48
Brilliant so close to Nice, susan. It was a fabulous day to be out today, wasn't it?
18/11/2012 at 18:06
Just lovely ....
18/11/2012 at 20:49

Yes. A beautiful day.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.