sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

62,861 to 62,880 of 67,672 messages
mcs
19/11/2012 at 14:53

Being a desk jockey need to run to stay alive, too much sitting down kills apparently. Ducking XC surely not FRC get out their and zip up the man suit........

19/11/2012 at 16:08
The monkey man has it ... Was it Parliament Hil ? ? ?
19/11/2012 at 16:53

No, and you'll all be relieved to know that I'm not leaving the thread yet either...  Despite my fastness and everything.

19/11/2012 at 18:31

Not for the first time have I left my thread silent by my sheer magniminity... (Is that a word? It is now.)

19/11/2012 at 20:01

Ikle. I was worried you would leave when talking about knocking 30 seconds off... also illegal betting with Cicero!
I will send you those long promised secret speed exercises. Helped me knock a minute or two off.

As for magnanimous... should that be magnanimouse for little Ikle?

I have been drinking lots of water to get rid of some weekend effects. Lactate ? Or whatever bi products.
As my lady described it, I have crinkly bits in muscles like bubble wrap. Rest for me.
19/11/2012 at 21:56

Ooh yes please, FRC. Need to keep up the good work also. Lost 2 kilos last week!

I just ran 7 miles and my left knee really hardly hurt at all! I'm getting really excited about my running analysis at running school now, did I mention?

19/11/2012 at 23:33
Hi all, hope this finds you well.

I had the folks up to visit this weekend, so will give a quick recap, Friday night, I ran on the treadmill interval training, for 40mins 4.2miles, followed by a heavy core and leg strength exercises.

Saturday off, Sunday I played 11 a side followed by a 7mile road run in the afternoon, did the 7miles in an hour with a hill. Had today off but I am riding to work everyday so still ticking over. This week I plan on short run and core tomorrow at the gym followed by 9 miles with a few hills Wednesday, Thursday rest, Friday an hour of not so glorious swimming.

FIT running cat, excellent time.

Sorry for my ignorance, what as wrong with your knee as my left knee is hurting while and after running a little?

Cheers Andy
mcs
20/11/2012 at 10:36

Tacit is another good word IM 
Interval session for me this am....three 7mmiles with a warm up mile to start and it was wet windy and hurt......lovely!!! Running home tonight too as I start week one of 16 to race day March 9th.....

20/11/2012 at 12:45

Andy - so many things can make  a knee hurt.  I'd go and get checked out by a sports fizz before it gets worse.  You want to start your marathon training in top form!  It'll probably be something dealable with if you nip it in the bud.  Not a good idea to run with pain.

Wabo - are you doing the southern counties vets xc champs at Claybury on 8th Dec?  We're trying to get a few teams together but it's a long way for us.  We had a lot of people out when it was in Sutton or somewhere Surrey-ish last year. 

Susan, Ikle, anyone else?  Need to be a club member to do it.

Swam this am.  Still quite tired after Sunday. Either I worked very hard or am not fit enough to run sub 9mm for 13 miles.  Still - on the upside, it was faster than marathon pace .  Got to remember that.

20/11/2012 at 16:43

ikle - v exciting about The Running School!  Will you tell us everything?

20/11/2012 at 16:50

yes, you must Ikle.

AH, did you see the Richard Hammond thing last night? It had about overheating/ sweat yesterday. Sort of linked to your swimming the way they got people's core temperatures down through hands, and maybe feet. Very interesting the device. I'd never seen it before, a vacuum handgrip thing. Guess they could use on marathon runners too.

20/11/2012 at 16:52

Shakespeare Half Marathon Report

Getting my half time down had stuck in my mind as vital for spring marathon target. Flu bug the day before the half I'd aimed at all year was so frustrating, with running & half season virtually over till 2013 and no decent races nearby. Or was there? Found a half in Stratford for £20 described as fast and flat, just over 2 hours drive & chip timed. Even found a travelodge down the road for £26. Perfect!

Course is a 5k around a speedway track & old airstrip, so 4 of those laps plus an extra out/ back to make up the 21.1k distance. Flat as a pancake? Probably flatter! Sounded do-able, but looking at speed required, sub 6:50 mile / 4:15 km pace all around, meaning four 5kms under 21m25s. Yikes! Have made lots of progress this year, but only got 5k time under 21 min in June. HTFU! Pace band printed for 1:29. Grit teeth.

Conditions perfect, 8 degrees, cool, bit damp. Lots of people but mostly 5 & 10k race, not the half. Course well organised, km AND mile markers, if windy would be exposed but okay. Water or electrolyte just after the 5k mark each lap. Clock visible at end of each lap. Spot on.

First 5k, got an idea of the course lap, roughly an oval but with 3 big spikes off it, just needed to concentrate in some bits with sharp dead turns, also odd rubber surface on last 0.5k of a lap, very squeaky - but fast, maybe for bike start? On garmin, manual km splits, all under 4m20s. First 5k lap, 21:25. promising.

2nd lap, course making more sense, could run a better line. On this lap caught up to fast female runner that had been 200m ahead, also after sub 1:30, ran with her for a minute or so, but kicked on, her pace was dropping a touch, gotta run my race. Shouted to Missus that I was on target, under 42:50 for 10k.

3rd lap, early on, tight in left calf so took a painkiller. Grabbed some electrolyte, paper cups, managed to drink some but also pour a lot over Garmin. Beep beep. Watch started going a bit mad, had to take it off to dry. Managed to wipe it - with buff and under control. Only a few to pace against ahead, and catching most of them. Keeping splits under 4:17. Lap under 21:25 again. Looked at pace band, ideal 1h04 for 15k. Legs starting to ache, with illness & league races, not many recent long runs (checked after, lots of speed work and fast runs but only 2 LSRs of 12 miles+ in 6 weeks). I was bang on time, this was going to hurt, but hey, you really want it? Pain can wait. Steely focus time.

Last lap. Max effort, aiming for nothing left in tank by end. That calf was really tight, could it go or cramp? Down the last section of lap, 1:25 ish showing on watch and clock by finish line. Round again, little out & back, 1.1km to go, teeth very gritted now, this was HURT-ing, full speed, turned corner, still half km left but finish line in sight - sprint legs! Through line, watch said 1:29:29 - Yes!. I was jumping for joy. Guy in front gave funny look, 10 secs outside his best, me 6 mins plus off my PB - understood & big high five. Sooo happy. Elation-wise as good as last marathon, maybe better?

Checking after, had paced it perfectly, course obviously helped, but probably the best "race" I've run. Each 5k lap under target & faster than the previous one (21:25, 21:22, 21:18, 21:10 mat times), with a 4min last km. Negative split, and then some! Equalled my June 10mile PB and that was flat out & collapse after then. Oh Legs are very sore but couldn't care less. VLM now firmly in my sights.

Splits Km Time
1 4:14 /2 4:17 / 3 4:19/ 4 4:17/ 5 4:12/ 6 4:16/ 7 4:17/ 8 4:17/ 9 4:18/ 10 4:15/ 11 4:19
12 4:15/ 13 4:14/ 14 4:18/ 15 4:15/ 16 4:10/ 17 4:15/ 18 4:15/ 19 4:14/ 20 4:11/ 21.1 4:24

20/11/2012 at 18:52
I liked the bit when your watch went a bit mad!
20/11/2012 at 19:23
Don't think I can make that date AH. shows what happens when you try .. Being a sloth and doing about 30 sec slower min miles my legs are peachy and it does feel remarkable 2 weeks post Nice but guess did not push myself there apart from mentally ...
21/11/2012 at 08:51

Guys quick question, keep feeling in the mornings that I need to stretch? does anyone do this after they wake or is it imperative to warm up? if you do stretch in the mornings are they light stretches?

Cheers Andy

21/11/2012 at 09:37

Andrew - depends what part of your body you wake up feeling you want to stretch!!??? Assuming you mean legs then my answer is no (to clarify my answer is no to any part of my body!) - I do sometimes get tight achillies and do light stretch of those.

mcs
21/11/2012 at 12:09

Awesome run report FRC. well done a nice course by the sounds of it. IT makes a difference when there is track involved and repeat laps. Always run quicker on a track and when loops involved. Not sure why must be a head thing you know where you are going and can carefully measure the effort. PB awesome well done. Nice time.

21/11/2012 at 12:14

I may or may not have just entered a 30 mile ultra on the spur of the moment.....

21/11/2012 at 12:24

Well done Frc u jammy soul the hard work paid off! 

No races here but just pottering about. Went for 20 minutes in the pouring rain today, great fun! Home soon.

21/11/2012 at 12:45

Have congratualted FRC on FB but congrats again - that is an amazing run - sub 1:30 is fantastic.  I am trying to tempt him over to the dark side for another ultra!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.