sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

62,901 to 62,920 of 67,392 messages
23/11/2012 at 11:43

Love Marathon Talk.  I look forward to my long runs so I can listen to it .  Club friend was top of the mens podium this week

Just getting ready to go to Jersey for the weekend. The Seal bloke who lives there and offered to go swimming with me has gone off the radar which is a shame.  I'd love advice about where's safe to swim, even if he can't come with me.

mcs
23/11/2012 at 13:32

5.25 mile run at lunch in the sunshine and daylight, wonderful hate running in the dark. Happy weekend all.

23/11/2012 at 16:51
Lovely run at 8.30 am beautiful park no idea how far or how fast .. Perfect
23/11/2012 at 18:50
Sounds lovely Susan. Naked then ?

Was planning a circuit 6pm, but after she posted on FB anyone up for a run in town ended up running 12pm with Vicky who Jovi, Tutu & AH met in Lanza. Our offices are right next to each other. Could be useful.

Good weekend everyone. I'm skiving off XC. Legs still tight after the race.
23/11/2012 at 20:39
I worked really super hard on my interval run yesterday evening. It was dark and raining and everything. Basey cycled with me I tried So hard to do 4 good intervals @ the right speed for a quicker 5k ie 7:30. I got back and found they were between 8 and 8:15 moop it felt like such blimming hard work.
23/11/2012 at 20:42
And windy. It was windy too...
23/11/2012 at 21:20
I'm sure you made a noise like Pfstttttt or similar.

Harder running in the dark Ikle. Try another time, practice.
How long were the intervals, quarter or half miles maybe ?

Typing those top secret not for Ciceros eyes tips now.
23/11/2012 at 21:27
Hi folks, sorry I have been a bit quiet, I have been in a bit of a grump of late, I lost my job about 3 weeks ago, through no fault of my own, so haven't been feeling very chatty.......
I have gotten back into running again, as it clears my mind and makes me feel a lot more positive! Been and run 7 miles this afternoon and really enjoyed it. Managed to avoid dog sh*t for the duration of my run, only received mild abuse from smoking youths. All good.... oh, nearly forgot that as I turned on to the path at the side of the river, I saw a 40 something chap, smoking a joint, playing the bongos as though his life depended on it! That's part of the reason I love running, even though it was my regular route, it's always different.........
23/11/2012 at 22:45
I did make that noise @ points yes. I did 4 x 3/4 mile intervals with 1/4 mile reveries inbetween.
23/11/2012 at 22:50
Heh. For reveries read recoveries. Heck, actually, stick with reveries...

Hi Scott, sorry 2 hear u down in the dumps. Glad the running is helping. Bless you. Chin up, old Bean.
24/11/2012 at 08:52

Hello all

Yet again sorry for being silent.

FRC the improvement you have made over the last few months is truly amazing. total respect in fact you make me feel bad on occasions I dont know how you find the time.

Welcome back Scott hope things improve soon

IKLE- still nearly a 1m a mile inside your target mp. Relax

Susan- Agree I went out yesterday with my GARMIN but did not look  till the end Nice and as turned out faster than expected

Does anyone live fairly close to Gloucester (within 50 miles) and sorry to be very cheeky but Im looking at the 50K in January but have not enetered as clearly the weather could stop me. Loseing a race fee is one thing a hotel another.

24/11/2012 at 12:44
Thanks Martin. not sure how I make you feel bad though?

You've done loads this year, various marathons, back to back stuff, ultras, plus comrades to come. I'm at baby steps at those!

As for time, I don't run that much, 3-4 runs (currently at ~1580 miles for the year), plus a circuit & a speed/ strength class per week.

All of you inspire me and have done over the last year. (((hugs all)))

Scott, hope things better. Wondered how you were doing.
24/11/2012 at 16:45
Martin sorry if came across wrong. As an example just come off 8 days of no running. Work so hard at the moment. Saying all thar forst back to back runs for a while 2 x 10 in 1.21 &1.23 was better than I expected
24/11/2012 at 20:16
Hi FRC, things will be on theup soon! I am running the nene valley 10 miler next Sunday, looking forward to it, first race since Chester....... see how it goes, would like to do it in sub 80 minutes, not sure if I will though....
24/11/2012 at 20:58
Fast and flat Scott hope it goes well
24/11/2012 at 21:20
Fingers crossed Martin!!!!!!
25/11/2012 at 09:29
Could somebody please tell me that it would be fine to do half mile intervals. Instead of 3 quarters? That's what I'm angling for. Then perhaps I could maintain a better Sprint pace. Am attempting a 10 miler today with TGR. Longest for long time. Pray that my knee holds up... if it don't I'm gonna cut it short.
25/11/2012 at 09:50
Your knee will be good, your knee will be good, your knee will be good ... Repeat after me .....
25/11/2012 at 13:17
Ikle, of course you can.
we do various speed sessions on a Tuesday, hills, fartlek, 1/4 laps x 10.
Saturday speed session though is miles every other week, half miles or quarters alternate the other weeks. Half miles are good ones for marathons since they're a few feet past 800metres, and yasso 800s are a known session for marathon timing/ rule of thumb (run 8-10 x 800s at 3:55 and maybe you can do a 3:55 marathon).

Miles we do 3 or 4 if time, warm up, then mile, then anywhere from 4-6 mins rest. If you want to develop speed, rest as long as the effort. Cool down.

Halfs 6 or 8, similar recoveries. If you do much shorter recoveries, then it's testing your endurance which you probably don't want now. If you want to really develop your short speed for 5k & 10k - (it will affect all distances ultimately) then rest same time or even longer, so maybe 3:30-4 mins+ for you? Quarters we do 12 or 16.

All 3 interval lengths can do in just over an hour. - sure its the session that got my times coming down so quick. And yes, it can hurt flat out. Press manual lap on your watch to mark stop start so you can analyse later and see your splits.

Pm me for any more info!
25/11/2012 at 15:32

Thanks FRC. I think I just got my maths wrong. Dur!

I just ran 10 miles with TGR YES 10 MILES! in 1 hr 38:37 and my knee only hurt a tiny little bit and I'm REALLY PLEASED. Excuse the capitals. =) Running School on Weds @7pm. Zippee!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.