sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

63,061 to 63,080 of 67,665 messages
04/12/2012 at 18:30

yes you are mental Ickle .. you work in a school and its nearly christmas - actually having said that maybe its a good idea .. clear your head.

AH & Wabo - saturday .. what the plan ?? is it cross country ? I have no spikes so I might fall over ... working out how to get there - have to get away prompt as have a tea get together for the post Nice marathon gang... but lets try and say hello before the race  ? guessing its best we dont jog and chat on the course ?? will I get told off?

04/12/2012 at 18:30

and FINGERS CROSSED HOWARD ....

04/12/2012 at 18:31

and welcome Eldred...

get well soon monkey man - sounds like Gordon he has a cold .. sorry , flu.....

04/12/2012 at 18:48

Flat marathons? I love them! Berlin, Hamburg, Eindhoven, ...and Malta is downhill mainly! London flat but crowded. Abingdon fairly flat. 

Mablethorpe supposed to be flat but windy...

04/12/2012 at 18:56

It's like your own personal twitter site in here ... When I drop in to post about 10 pages have passed! [I just checked. 11 pages.]

Just two races since I posted about my 10k in Battersea Park on 10 November (see), but both pretty successful:

24 November another parkrun at Dulwich and another PB. 19:47 - 3 seconds off previous best - with much gratitude to my Running School coach/friend who paced me round. I honestly can't remember much now, apart from I left my (footpod based) watch set to "easy run" calibration and hence it thought I was running about 19:00 pace, but I ignored it quickly enough and listened to my friend. Splits 4:00, 4:02, 3:57, 4:01, 3:47. I'm sure there's more to come. Ikle and I have a sidebet on which of us reaches :30 first - me 19:30 and she 23:30. I think she'll be there first.

Sunday, 2 December, was the Pervial 5 mile. I planned to run it at around 40:00 10k pace to help with my next 10k attempt. In the end I chose to aim for 6:30 miles (=40:23 10k).

Well it was a good plan ... Which actually didn't come off as badly as I thought when, as I started, my watch didn't. Tried a couple of presses, but something was up. Probably user error. I've yet to go back to it and confirm that it does still work. So with no watch on and not being able to spot the mile markers I had little clue as to how I was running. (Event details state markers every mile, but I'm notoriously bad at noticing anything when running.) I asked a friendly looking runner what pace he was aiming for after about 500m and he said 6:20 so I thought I should let him go, but not too far. I lost track of him after about 3 miles, but take into account my comments about me noticing things

Not having my watch on it felt all but impossible to push towards my target pace. I just settled in and made myself uncomfortable. All I can say is I still had a little left at the end as I didn't see the finish coming up. (You know what I'm going to say.)

So, all in all, when the results were published I was actually quite pleased with a 33:11. Plenty of room for a(nother) PB next time anyway.

Edited: 04/12/2012 at 19:06
04/12/2012 at 19:03

Hi guys and girls,

Hoping to do my first mara in the Spring and definitely aiming sub 4:00

Ikle good luck on the mid-week run - I reckon, what with all the adrenaline etc of race day, you'll probably come out the other end feeling pretty energised

mcs whereabouts are you? No snow down our way (my son is very disappointed!)

Cicero well done getting that time without a watch to pace you!

04/12/2012 at 19:56

Cierco - That's such a wonderful 5k, wish I would be able to do sub 25mins when I do mine maybe this weekend.

Fido - Flat for PB, Hilly for the fun!

04/12/2012 at 21:28
Good evening folks. Just got back from running club, only 3 of us turned out. We did a very wet and miserable 7 and a 1/2 miles on the road. Did it in just under an hour, so not a bad time.
Apparently I stink, so off in the shower now......
04/12/2012 at 22:46

Yes, Steve, I believe you are right. Scott D, you and your smells. Cicero heh and well done. And Eldred well done so far. 

04/12/2012 at 23:29
Eldred, welcome. As you say, get 10k and half down to sub 1:50, slow steady build for future. You'll knock big chunks off.

"Steve loves Bacon" -SLB - Welcome. Give us some more background, current times
04/12/2012 at 23:37
Scott. Good 10 miler to build on. Only 3 at club? Job news?

Jovi, Great "ultra" of 27 miles. What did you wear layer wise?

Ikle, Good 10k! Splits give you easy 1-2 min to chop off, progress & TRS to come.

AH, great XC, and superb swim. I dont know how you do it but total respect. That BBC program I mentioned about controlling core body temp, was through the hands so might be something in socks & gloves.
What does Charlie play? My sister and brother in law are both musicians in an orchestra, probably never said.

Howard, Sooo nice to see you running.
Wabo, well done, keep doing whatever you're doing. You'll be a supermodel soon if this carries on.

Sunday 13.5 miles 2500ft of hills in North Wales with loads of pals, jeez. Tough, would've walked chunks in a race but not an option. Tonight, steady 4m warm up to club with extra layers & backpack on, then a 6.5 mile fartlek with top group in the cold & wet. The wood burning stove is on. Brrr.
Edited: 04/12/2012 at 23:38
mcs
05/12/2012 at 09:20

SLB I am near Bakewell, Derbyshire.  Freezing cold here this am, rode into work on the mountain bike, polar buff required and winter gloves.......coffee time!!!
Off to see Jools Holland tonight in Sheffield looking forward to that he does a great show.
Nice time Cicero speedy.
ANyone done Milton Keynes marathon, that should be a flat one and on Bank HOliday Monday in May??
FRC where were you in Wales. Going down at Xmas for a bit of winter walking, climbing running if weather good.

05/12/2012 at 09:46

oh ikle I was going to do that! They do it every month, gravesend right?  I will do one but not next week.

susan what am I doing on Saturday? WHat have I signed up for that I don't knwo about, help!

thanks frc, another lb off today, 10st 3lb, I feel so good!

mcs, love jools holland, enjoy!

cicero thats a speedy parkrun!

I think I may do a park run this weekend, see how it feels nearly one stone lighter!

slb welcome!

05/12/2012 at 11:21

Wabo, once you get a little training in, half or a stone lighter for me is upto a minute a mile faster.. or at least feels easier to do. Enjoy yourself ! You will feel fabulous for Xmas too.

mcs, Moel Famau, North Wales, not far from Wrexham, we met up at Loggerheads, loads of runs & walks from there. Only about 40 minute drive for us, so very handy. Might go there over Xmas for a run/ walk.

05/12/2012 at 11:28

TOTP !

(ha, Ikle may have TRS, but she has lost her TOTP power)

05/12/2012 at 13:43

Ikle still in two minds about joining you for your 10k a week today ... How close does your drive take you to me?

In other news - to the thread if not Ikle - have now signed up for Bournemouth Bay Run - Half Marathon. So catching up with you guys in terms of distance. Sunday 7 April 2013. Nice course. https://www.bhf.org.uk/get-involved/events/runs-and-jogs/event-information/bournemouth-bay-run.aspx 

05/12/2012 at 14:21

Cicero I was actually going to suggest you do a half to bring your 10k time down towards sub 40.. get some more endurance in from 5k to 10k. Upping your weekend and mid week run will make a big difference.

mcs
05/12/2012 at 14:25

Never raced a 5k or 10k any suggestions within spitting distance of Derbyshire........

05/12/2012 at 21:04

claybury Wabo - the masters or some such nonsense of old people running... am signed up to do it - 6km - cross country - I have no spikes.. ooops.. am hoping it may snow and I dont have to do it - can do park run instead...

mcs
06/12/2012 at 11:36

Did a great interval session this am which was good seeing as how I got to bed at midnight after a fantastic evening at Sheff City Hall warm up act was Nel Bryden, what a singer just her and a guitar, a 1946 Gibson and a voice to die for singing all her own songs. Then two and a half hours of Jools, Ruby Turner, Louise Marshall,  Roland Gift of Five Young Cannibals fame, showing my age abit with him but a great voice. Boogied the whole night as did my 11 year old...........great night.
Returning to more serious stuff.......a freezing morning.........9.13 warm up mile then 7.39-7.11-7.24 then cool down 8.03 and a half mile to finish and felt much easier this week than last weeks interval session.
Frosty here but no snow yet, bad accident on the road to Sheff last night take care out there on the roads.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.