sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

63,141 to 63,160 of 67,858 messages
11/12/2012 at 12:59

oh thats not good ikle

mcs
11/12/2012 at 15:26

Get gargling with some strong to night you might be okay in the morning Ikle.....get well soon.

11/12/2012 at 15:35

Gargling good plan. Sat morning I was so desparate I did it with only minimal suggestion and making of by Basey! And lemon and honey. Bletch.

11/12/2012 at 19:09
In other news, I am in agony! Play fighting with mini me on Saturday, Mrs D was holding my arms and mini me took a swing at me, catching me a corker in the right nipple, result a cracked rib! Can't sleep, sit, stand or move, oh, and staying still is no fun either!
12/12/2012 at 00:05

steve l b, no not recently. My 2012 running has been characterized by being injury free. I had ITB problems in 2010 when I was doing (relatively) high mileage. Subsequent to that I had orthotics fitted and this year I had assumed they were doing their stuff, although it's hard to know just what the relevant factors are since so many things have changed since 2010.

At the moment I'm working on the assumption it's a glitch and possibly that my shoes are near the end of their life. I know there's a rule of thumb on mileage per pair of shoes, but can anyone explain (or provide a link showing) just how you physically inspect/test a shoe to find out if it's worn out?

I'm currently using a 500 miles per pair rule of thumb and the two pairs I'm using now have 400 and 450 miles on them ... You know, now I've typed that out loud it suddenly seems very likely the shoes are the issue. It was the 450's that I was wearing today. I've a new pair ready to go ... I think I'll try one more run in the 450's to ascertain if it was a one off glitch and if it recurs swap to my new shoes and take it from there.

mcs
12/12/2012 at 09:11

The asics team at Birmingham last year said if you can twist the front of your shoe while holding the heel with the other hand then your shoes are probably shot. I tend to use mine longer though due to money saving. I have two pair of Kayanos on the go both are just coming up to one year old next month but because I keep swapping every time I run I reckon I can get more miles out of them. One pair must have 700 miles on them now the others 450 or so. I have done 1350 miles since Jan 1st. Hope you feel better soon...... sale time coming up buy a couple of new pairs and start again in the New Year.

12/12/2012 at 09:53

I was just about to say the same as mcs - they said exactly the same thing this year - twistability is not a good sign! The rule of thumb really is just that and it heavily depends on the individual runner... the physio said that she goes through shoes every 300 miles or so but some people can run 6-700 miles in theirs and not have any probs.

Guess it also depends on what kind of shoe you've got - as mine are stability control, they've got a lot more support so are less likely to twist to begin with!

Another thing I also found out was the benefit of getting my pronotation checked on a more regular basis - I had it re-done there and the shoes I've got, whilst being the right ones for me when I bought them and had my pronation checked, aren't now. Apparently my leg muscles have built up and I now pronate less than I used to - my shoes are now too controlling and I get a blister on one of my insteps! Given what you've said about using orthotics, it could also be a possibility that the orthotics may need re-checking...? No idea if that is possible, just thinking out loud...

12/12/2012 at 13:12

Hope its gone well WENDY. An easy one! We will see

Good to see lots of new faces

Hope all are well, just had what can only be called a very boring run. I would not recomend a half marathon on a tread mill  but its done I was walm and at least my pace was controlled. Highest miles for the year now achieved 1175 so can least average a 100 mile a month for the year

12/12/2012 at 13:23

afternoon all

scott ohblimey what a nightmare

hope wendy is doing ok

martin a half marathon on a treadmill! You deserve a trophy for that!

This year I reckon is my lowest mileage. Oh I will find out Tuesday if I have a club place for vlm or not, 3 of us go into a ballot for 2 tickets!

12/12/2012 at 13:36

thud!

mcs
12/12/2012 at 13:53

Can I put my name in that hat please??? A half on a tread mill thats horrid I managed a 10k once it was awful.

12/12/2012 at 17:15

Wabo, sounds like good odds for VLM.

Martin, half on a treadmill, I would just die with boredom. Actually I hate treadies, really bad for calfs & my tendonitis. Much prefer road or better yet trail.

I'm a little ahead of you on the mileage, might just get 1700-1750 for the year.

Hope Wendy going well, the 12 in 12, 12/12/12 thing, presumeably starting at 12:12pm.

Cicero, hope you're okay, the pace bit wasn't for you, it was more for WT but still useful to you. I did a 10k and a 10 miler consecutive weeks this year, so went nearly as fast, maybe 5-7 seconds slower per mile. Do a half, same again so 15 seconds up per mile (upto 20 is general rule of thumb).

Spent an hour slipping around with club doing 10 hills sessions last night, more like ice station zebra with shouts of Ice! on corners.

Name choosen for new cat.. Black & white little boy, huge paws, a bit of tuxedo front and batman sort of face, lovely and very friendly... just we were stuck on a name.

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-skrG54QQlvA/UMdH09aWfiI/AAAAAAAAAl8/eCU4fOK9rkw/s640/MrX.jpg

Say hello to Stanley!  and here 

12/12/2012 at 19:49
Stanley good. Stan Laurel one of my heroes... I have my 2nd TRS session tomorrow. Exciting. Finally feeling better hoorah just a snotty cold now. 10k got cancelled this evening due to ice!
12/12/2012 at 20:27

FRC- I hated it but I sometimes think its good to have a very bad run. Good for the mind. Ensured I kept to target (1.50) as my spring target is a 3.39.59 as gives me a big pb and a C seeding for Comrades. I do feel worse after a treadmill though so interesting comments you make

I did have ideas about trying to keep up with Wendy, but thats now a non starter Im so amazed by her performance today

12/12/2012 at 20:58

Yes .. that Wendy .. I dont know.. awesome.

martin - a half on a treadmill - christmas crackers you are!! that takes some determination!!!

lovely black and white cat

12/12/2012 at 21:05
Martin 35716, are we meeting up for a runover the festive period?
12/12/2012 at 21:42
Hi scott. Its a nice idea but working in retail ive not got much time off. Any luck on the job front?
12/12/2012 at 22:01

Hello everyone. Been busy but vaguely following the thread.

Lovely Stanley

Wabo - good luck for VLM ballot.  We had our draw last night. 7 people for 4 places. I had to draw the last place. OMG.

Martin - nutter if you've really run that far on the treadmill

Haven't even thought about a sched for Brighton. Think this should be week 1...

Ran this am despite ankle. Much better and loved being out in the hoar frost. An hour. God will I ever run a whole marathon? Seems unbeleiveable.  Daft innit.

Hope everyone's shopping, cooking, wrapping etc going ok. i've made a start at least.

12/12/2012 at 22:10

AH, if it's 16 weeks then the 24th December week beginning is Week 1. Unless I worked it out wrong. I have a RW plan on my wall with the dates for every week, ready to tick each run off as and when I do it. I'm nervous/excited/downright scared! At least my Brighton Marathon tee shirt is yummy, even though I may have to walk half of it!

In Christmas news, I bought some very pretty sticky tape for my presents with stars on in different colours that doesn't stick to the wrapping paper. Clever.

I have just signed up for a 10K on New Year's Day in Somerset in a fit of madness. We'll see. Wonder if I'll actually get to run it this time. Only six quid!

12/12/2012 at 22:42
Martin, no signs of any positive news for me on tne job cront, have you got any thing going temporary? I have got very good people skills.....
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.