sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

63,201 to 63,220 of 67,288 messages
17/12/2012 at 10:34
It was just nice to see andy murray getting so emotional about it all and his mate the boxer seemec to take it all very seriosly......
Well done Wiggo though!
17/12/2012 at 12:02
I just won a pair of brooks pure cadence trainers, I am overthe moon to say the least!
17/12/2012 at 12:14

nice one Scott

Susan I am with you on SPOTY, hard to pick a winner but Mo and David Weir made me shout and jump about at the olympics for sure!

happy christmas Tutu hope all goes well with you x

mcs
17/12/2012 at 14:19

Brilliant report Jovi, thanks for that. What Marathon was that? Milton Keynes mara is on bank holiday Monday fancy a look at that as must be flat.......Awesome time Jovi well done.
Enjoyed seeing Bradley win as love my cycling but wanted Mo in second or third and Jess up there too being from Sheff of course.   Dave Weir's training is awsome and they were all ace over the summer of 2012.....dont think we can repeat that in Rio. But the cricket team won a series in India so not bad there.

FRC my list of races is from another thread sorry to confuse you! Asics reject and race group from last year.
Scott where did you win your trainers from? Won a kindle which I should get this week on Scottish Power draw......have a good week all.......seven miles done for me this am and a run home to come as didn't run yesterday.....

17/12/2012 at 14:24

I ran 8 miles yesterday morning, but none of my loved ones will let me do any more until I'm all betterer. Boo! Still have a sore throat. Rather bored of it all now...

17/12/2012 at 16:45

just get better Ickle....

17/12/2012 at 17:34
Mcs, I won the trainers on the brooks web site, they were giving away 500 pairs, exdemo ones I think, been tried on by folks, butnevetworn out side. I a, over the moon! Also, got a callfrom an estate agents that is opening up in January and they want to interview me in the new year! They say good news comes in 3's, so wonder what else willhappen?
The pure cadence trainers are superb by the way, light, responsive, fit very nicely, its just the big fat lump wearing them that buggers the job up!
17/12/2012 at 20:05
In santa hat news, my delux santa hat from asda is much more substantial than the one I got for the santa run, but made my head even more sweaty....
I am still going to wear a santa hat for every run during the lead up to Christmas day......
17/12/2012 at 21:34

Jovi nice marathon PB. I think the relaxed approach is quite difficult to achieve, well done. It feels like a mental balance between not going for a PB and going for a PB and hoping that the two sides of your brain don't figure out what's going on ... if anyone sees what I mean. (?)

FRC Absolutely agree with you about magic running shoes. I think I was just hoping against hope. Running in shoes that are past their run-by date can cumulatively cause damage I think, but of course throwing on a new pair can't then reverse that damage.

Started foam roller use Wednesday last week and continued over the weekend. After two runs breaking down with knee pain on Tuesday and Thursday last week - both around the 6k mark - I decided to go ahead and parkrun since that's only 5k anyway Had another great run - 19:51, just 4 seconds off my PB.

Having felt really low about my knees - on Wednesday and Thursday in particular - my parkrun really lifted me. This morning I ran 9k in 45 minutes. Though there was the slightest hint of knee pain around 7k/8k I felt good throughout and never considered stopping or slowing. FRC I see what you're saying about too fast too soon. Certainly I've missed too many of the longer slower runs in the last few months. Going to build up the distance slowly and get back to a weekly long slow run. Also re strength work, that is something that my TRS coach has introduced me to and I shall be continuing as a permanent part of my training. Until TRS I have been, what I guess is a fairly typical casual runner, someone who basically just runs. No other related work. It took me quite a few years to even regularly stretch out after a run. The strength work that I've done to date I can really feel the benefit of; improved core strength means I'm better able to maintain my more efficient TRS running technique and I'm sure it is also a factor in my long standing sciatica being in the best shape I can remember.

Thanks for your interest and support people.

Cicero

@cicerunner

Edited: 17/12/2012 at 21:37
18/12/2012 at 11:53

Just had a quick read back.

Jovi - LOVED your report.  Just fab. 

Cicero - keep up the exercises etc and I'm sure that knee will settle. Do you know what the prob is? (sorry - haven't been here enough lately to be sure... is it ITB?) I'm sure a fizz, TRS will advise, but if it IS ITB, the thing that often makes the knee sore is inflammation from chafing of the ITB on a bursa/bone.  Even if all the exercises and TRS stuff is helping, my understanding is that that inflammation does need to be allowed to die down for once and for all. There might be a case for a week or so of not running just to let it do that.  But check with a fizz first.

Ikle - 8 miles with a sore throat Nutter! But understand the frustration. 

18/12/2012 at 11:57

In a controversial move I'm not running this week. I might not even swim, either.  I've been so blimmin knackered and stressed lately I was imagining me starting my marathon training in a state of exhaustion. Not good.  It's a beautiful day today for running but am knuckling down and sorting out loads of wrapping, shopping, planning and admin crap that's needed doing for ages. Am sure that's helping.

Training starts next week. Still haven't got a plan though.  Hey ho!

18/12/2012 at 12:49

AH, Good call on resting up. Sometimes I just crash out, done too much, fatigue, but especially around xmas, gets hectic and stressful.

Ikle hope the cold/ throat improves, you are being sensible. my missus had a cold & throat last 4-5 weeks, did 3 hard runs with me in 7 days, felt good, then went backward with chest infection. Hasn't run for 9-10 days now, hopefully will jog/ walk tonight - doing a 22 mile Hebden Bridge event together Jan 19th so time tight.

Tutu, glad all is well.

Scott, hope job comes your way in Jan. Cracked rib?

Cicero, aches on Tue & Thu, then a park run? I know they're "fun", but any injury worries, 5k would be the last distance I'd do and arguably most risk of injury since so short. Any twinges I always stop, find a wall/ bench, stretch, take some neurofen after even. Compression socks may help with knees, xmas present?

League race Sunday. Meant to be road race so my lovely WHITE Saucony racing flats on, the thin mesh ones with holes in the sole for triathletes, water to drain off. hmmm. Waiting to start, mention of "off road" and standing water but avoidable. HHHMMMM.

Set off steady (6:25-6:30mm ~10k pace), not mad sub 6 pace as my pal has done last 2 races. Worked myself into the race, tend to find hit the first km mark and then stay around that pace, 3:55 so spot on. Some minor incline, a few hills just taking the edge off speed. Red club shirt way in distance, but 1/2k maybe. KM markers mostly under sub 4min km apart from the hilly or muddy ones.
Off road but suddenly we are going through thick mud in places, and then a section with 6 inch deep water. Feet now in grey shoes feeling cold & wet. Grr.

Running through some single track, occasional little cobble narrow footbridges, couldn't get past people, but spy my pal just ahead. Can see his arms going slow, runners going past him, struggling - 6 min miles at start again, nutter. 8km go past him, try to pull him along. Final hill at 8- 9k and then mad sprint for the line.

Km 1 3:53/ 2 3:51/ 3 3:55/ 4 3:57/ 5 4:01 Km 6 4:03/ 7 3:56/ 8 4:04/ 9 4:04/ 10 0:54

5.7 miles in 36:45 with soaking wet feet, managed to get my first ever scoring point for the club. Nice end to the year for club stuff.

With mile warm up, switch to different shoes + backpack on ran 13+ miles run home with pals, tired legs so first 20 miler for 2013 ultra+VLM plan. Legs felt sore after the race but gradually warmed up. Only downside, back & shoulders sore from my pack being a bit too tight, but massage yesterday helped a lot.

Oh Stanley doing fine, has already knocked the Christmas tree over. (see not just running )

18/12/2012 at 14:36
Frc, yes, cracked rib, due to high speed collision with running buddy, it hurts!
Slightly off topic, is any one doing the High Peak 40? Is that your neck of the woods mcs? Its going to sound like a daft quesrion, but how much harder is 40 miles than 26.2?
mcs
18/12/2012 at 14:54

Thats in my neck of the woods......sounds like longer and slower to me!! Sorry to be obvious.  Buxton start and all round here. Here is the link. September race usually.
http://www.highpeak40.co.uk/entryform.html

Nice running FRC........ Up to 13 miles yesterday and today.

18/12/2012 at 23:00
Like AH a non running week before training begins .. Not sure what training exactly but you can be sure LIM. Just been to the Ice Bar ... How cool !
18/12/2012 at 23:58
9.5 miles at 9 minute mile pace, for some reason I feel so unfit! It might be tbe santa hat making my head swesty..... rest day tomorrow. ?..
19/12/2012 at 07:32
Yes .. Rest is good
19/12/2012 at 08:43

Your Ice Bar pictures look ace Susan

Did a club run for the first time in ages last night as I was lured by mince pies and mulled wine - a hill session in a pair of flashing deer antlers was not easy. Hoping to do a run with Mr WT tonight to deliver our xmas cards - I need to run to get rid of all the calories I'm taking in with home baking - not good!

SD - I'm considering doing the HP40 next year. I've been out supporting for the last two years and still in two minds as it is only two weeks after the Bullock Smithy and there's a fair bit of road in it. It always seem to be warm then as well!

mcs
19/12/2012 at 09:24

18 miles done in two days so having a rest day today.......I reckon I would run out of steam after 26.2 miles......have to run a lot slower I guess to do the HP40..... whats the Bullocky Smithy off to google it.

19/12/2012 at 10:12
Mcs, its the hills more than the distanethat wirries me! Living in lincolnshire, ihave to travel about 13 miles before I find a hill!
We stayed in castleton a few months ago and I did a route, up to Hollins Cross! Over Mam Tor, around the back of Pevril Castle and back down Cave Dale, probably about 6 miles as I took a slight detour....... and it was brutal!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.