sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

63,381 to 63,400 of 67,261 messages
06/01/2013 at 00:41
Dave racing shoes. Hmmm Here is a tip... zzzzz?

Slack I'm sure the other runner was just jealous. Or wanted to chat. Did you not wear spikes then? Sounds like a good run.

Scott, Gordon is a famous actor, you would probably recognise him. Little John in Robin Hood, Red Cap, the National Lottery, the odd Taggart, Sherlock the recent one, and Absolutely comedy series (which I remember him for). About right St Susan?.

I have been practicing intervals of beer/ food/ beer/ recovery.
06/01/2013 at 07:56
I am now on the same page FRC.
Well, been up nearly an hour, now, porridge consumed, banana on its way. Off for a 14 miler with my speedy running buddy at 10. It will be his longest ever run, he is faster thsn me, but he isn't one for endurance, shoud be fun. Looks like a lovely morning for it!
06/01/2013 at 10:58

FRC - love your stats... wish mine were so impressive! 

06/01/2013 at 15:13
Well, todays run was......diffetent.
We set off in glorious sun shine, lovely and warm. Planned to do 12 miles, took a wrong turn at mile 8..... the fog then descended, baring in mind, all the long straight fen roads around here all look identical, it was a bit disconcerting, as the miles ticked by and we didn't know where we were.
Finally got back to the car freezing cold, and shatteted, 16.5 miles in 2 hours 20. Is that about 8.30 per mile on average? Splits were all over the place though.
Got back, to a hot bath and big bowl of porridge!
06/01/2013 at 15:52
Bloody hell Scott .. That was quick! Glad you found your way back! I did a very slow 7 miles but third day in a row running so will take the rest of the week off
06/01/2013 at 16:31

Nice one scott

First 20 miler done (2.53) walked up the all the little "ups" feels like a good starting point. Depending on weather may have a crack at a sub 4 as part of my 50K. Feels like a good challenge

06/01/2013 at 18:25
Cheets slack and martin, I haven't stopped eating since I got back home!
06/01/2013 at 20:52

I just ran 9 miles in 1 hour and 27 minutes. LSD or LSR if you will. Boring but pain free! I have to do 12 miles next weekend. So far this year I have run 15 miles. But no press ups as yet...

07/01/2013 at 09:27
Good morning folks. My legs generally ache this morning, bur knees are feeling ok. I think a rest day is in order....
mcs
07/01/2013 at 10:39

Nice running folk. Had a very hily 6.66 miler yesterday in mist and fog and mud mud mud too!! Should have been longer but time did not permit. Hill work for the next month in readiness for March 9th race day. 21 miles of killer hills. Hope the ground is drier by then. Happy new week all.

07/01/2013 at 12:49

Just following the thread that I thought was for a sub 4 hr marathon, but some of the 10k times look very quick. Is it a sub 4 hour forum?

07/01/2013 at 13:53

Tom - you have stepped into a world of mixed ability! Some of us are sub 4 (eventually), some are not (yet!), some are bordering on sub 3:30 and beyond...

However... don't let that put you off - the advice and camaraderie is second to none here which is why this thread has been going for so long!

Dip in and enjoy the ramblings... 

Someone on here has probably got a league table of our Marathon times for you... mine, after 4 attempts is now 3:46 

07/01/2013 at 13:54

Tom I'm not even sure this is a running forum sometimes.   Yes, def sub 4, but a few people have achieved sub 4 and are still here even though, technically, they're too fast. I'm glad they're still here. 

Good job with your mate, Scott. How did he get on?

I feel rubbish so even though I've been running, there is just no pep in the tank. Or legs.

In more positive news, a club friend often paces for marathons and has done Brighton before.  This morning he said there's talk of him doing it again and should he ask to pace the sub 4s????   Will keep you posted. DO hope it comes off.  Some of you ultra types know him - Ian Berry.  His girlfriend is Sandra Bowers with the huskies.

07/01/2013 at 14:23

Thanks for that Dave and Hen. I am running the Paris Marathon with my wife in April and looking to get around 4 hours. Mary is looking to break 4:30. I shall be keeping up to date with the Forum over the next few months.

07/01/2013 at 15:36
Thanks AH, my mate did sickeningly well yesterday! He is speedy, but needs a nudge in the rightdirection for putting in the longer miles, which iquite enjoy. I think he will do sub 3.30 in london this year, unless he goes off like a whipet and blows up after 10 miles.
07/01/2013 at 19:31

welcome Tom dont be put off by all the mad speedsters on here.. its hard sometimes here not to think you are on the wrong thread and that you are slow but DONT!! you are not slow they have just got quicker and quicker - I have steadily faded but still running marathons - and also have memories of years ago (5 years this April!!! ) when I beat a few of them on a very very hot day in London  but as Hen says most of us are friendly... 

Hen - that would be amazing if your mate is a pacer although its always so crowded round the 4 hour pacer- will have to decide if I have it in me to go for sub 4 again ... hmmmmm.... how are you feeling now? better I hope..

had a quick run ( really not even a mile) in some vibram five fingers - a friend has given me a pair - they fit pretty well... have read so much about it I really want to give it a go but it does feel weird and the calves obviously take a hammering.. any thoughts from any of our experts?? if I do it should I really try to do it full on or can you mix the two ??  thoughts.... (in less than 100 words.)

back to work tomorrow ... 

07/01/2013 at 22:14

I have no opinion on the Vibram thingys - but I love my new shoes (they're bright blue you know)

07/01/2013 at 22:27
Slack, I think that you need to work your way down to the vibrams, not advisable to go from conventional running shoes to them, as you will have to drastically altet your running style....
07/01/2013 at 22:29
Tom, don't be shy, dive on into things here.
07/01/2013 at 22:48
Key is to transition slowly, Susan ie over 2 years. You can run in both. TGR does just that. I find I run slower in mine... But they are so pink and pretty...
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.