sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

63,401 to 63,420 of 67,406 messages
08/01/2013 at 15:01

Same here mcs, but slower, 46' 24" for 10k last April, 1hr 45' 22" for a half-marathon last August, and 4hrs 13' 42" for the VLM in 2012. Have run faster, but that was nearly 30 years ago ! Looking forward to keeping in touch with everyone. Thanks for the friendly welcome.

08/01/2013 at 15:01

Link to ibuprofen info

It's not just my opinion - it's more a collation of thinking from various bits of research.  There are occasions I'd pop a nurofen before/during a long race/run... but only if an injury needed it and it wasn't a hot day when my kidneys would already be stressed.

08/01/2013 at 15:54

Or a swim in the park...

08/01/2013 at 20:05

Evening all

Hello all new people as others have said listen to the advise but ignore some of the times

FRC- Its the Gloucester 50k My original target was 5 hours but after Sunday 8.40 pace for a 20 miler decided on a new plan. If I can get a sub 4 to the marathon distance I can honestly say I dont care if I walk every step after that (will be good Comrades practice!!!) If the weather is against me back to plan A.

08/01/2013 at 20:24

my half and 10 km pbs are slower than both MCS and Toms and I have managed to sneak under 4 hours.. only just and only once but I have done it!!

08/01/2013 at 21:00

Scott - what is there to run in that is between running shoes and vibrams???

Ickle - do you use your vibrams just once in a while? whats the furthest you have run in them?

Did feel amazingly different - did not do track in them tonight ... yes Slack went to track..

08/01/2013 at 21:09
Slack, I have a pair of brooks pure cadence that are no where near as bouncy as my glycerin 10's, they are very light, so that sort of thing is a halfway house, or a pair ofracing flats.
08/01/2013 at 21:13

Vibrams!! 

08/01/2013 at 21:53

I used to run 15K in them, but that was a while ago. I am running my marathon training exclusively in trainers, just to give the ultimate chance of not confusing my knees. There are lots and lots of shoes inbetween barefoot and regular trainer. Especially nowadays. I usually see one or two pairs of barefoots in any marathon.

Not sure about this running 5 times a week mallarky. Run today (no desire or pleasure in it whatsoever) and I have to run Again tomorrow! A hilly 5.

And what do people think about Yassos? It's nearly time for me to start doing some...

08/01/2013 at 21:53

Yasso 800s, I should say.

09/01/2013 at 07:43

Yasso 800 - way to go!

mcs
09/01/2013 at 09:26

Did some interval work on the way home last night and got my heart rate to 179 but it was pitch black with a dying head torch battery so might be able to squeeze abit more out of my skinny legs in daylight. But gives me a start for measuring where I am. Yasso 800 no fun.

09/01/2013 at 12:29

hi all you lovelies and the newbies! I cannot keep up..

susan ooh interesting re the vibram thing I will wtch your progress with interest!

I had a moments madness last week and entered Snowdonia Marathon! Oh goodness me....

hen loved all your sea swimming photos, you are something else!

I am off to Peru Friday so I wont be around for a couple of weeks.  Have to squeeze in a 10 miler tonight because I sure wont do that out  there!

09/01/2013 at 12:30

hang on slack to the track and vibrams in one post....

09/01/2013 at 12:52

AH, interesting about the swimming. Think I mentioned about the thermogenesis thing, wondered if you would be tired or actually super charged, well recovered on say Monday. Guess its a matter of fitting your long run in before the swimming either on Sat or Sun. 

Ikle, I don't bother with Yassos. But did alternate doing miles with halfs/ quarters this summer - big improvement. Yassos, I don't think I will be doing a 3:03 marathon based on my times mid last year, and certainly not a 2:45-50 as it would be now. Long run far more important. oh and see above about the 3-4 days a week running, my 4th or 5th day is cross training, hard cardio circuit. Got some interesting HR readings doing 50 minute circuit... proved that it is very fitness building but not OTT, similar to a interval session but not as much impact on your legs - so the running can carry on.

Susan, mcs, Tom - 10k & half times.. Women statistically have better completion times half to a full marathon - they are better runners. We men tend to go off silly fast in both, and then slow down, so might have faster half times but much slower marathon times... will be interesting to see how Martin gets on going for sub 4 and then keeping it going.

Wabo... have you seen the Snowdonia course? my mad ultra friend who did Leadville Marathon de Sable and other scary 100k & 100 mile races did it, and flew through it... other friend not so much. You really need to get some hills in, actually mountains. with Susan doing track and Wabo hilly stuff, definitely new year

mcs
09/01/2013 at 13:31

Interesting comment on conversion times for women compared to men. Need to go slower I guess, plus I dont have as much fat reserve as my wife, she told me that by the way Maybe need to eat more in the marathon!!!

09/01/2013 at 14:53

Wabo - SO exciting re Snowdonia.  Not as exciting as Peru of course.   If you took your trainers with you you could get in the odd run at altitude.  You'd prob fly when you got home!

Funny that Ikle brought up Yasso 800s.  I'm going to start doing them with my athletes next week.  We're going to start with 6, then repeat the session every two or three weeks adding one on.  I'd really like to do them myself - surely my little legs can cope with one grass track session every two or three weeks...   I put something on the club website this morning about it.  When we get up towards 10 the session is going to get very long - especially for us 4 hour marathoners because you do jog recoveries of the same time as your efforts.  Non-marathoners will do fewer reps, faster and with shorter recoveries. Everyone's a winner.

Who's done them on here? Looked like someone had because they said they were hard - can't remember who.

09/01/2013 at 14:56

In other news, I swam my arms off this morning. Then had a triumph at SuperDry because they took something back without the receipt. So I then went and blew that dosh (plus a bit more) in H&M on 6 tops for £56.  Feel ridiculously pleased.

09/01/2013 at 15:21
Did 4 x 800m with 200m recoveries last night with Mary. Very slow at around 7' 50" pace, but I can't see myself doing a marathon in 3hrs 50 min.
09/01/2013 at 16:08

it is exciting about snowdonia.  Hen I am at sea level so you know the trainers are coming! They are coming to meet me in Lima and from there we weill fo to Mancora for a beach holiday!

Wow Tom ist all relative eh, I did a very fast 3.17 race last night in 8mm! DIdnt feel slow mind you I see what you mean If I do 800's the pace is much quicker.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.