sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

63,421 to 63,440 of 67,842 messages
09/01/2013 at 18:51
Yes slow is relative !
Watch it FRC I do go to track sometimes just because I don't always give a full report!
Not sure about the vibram s thing.. Certainly not in the market of buying interim shoes, did not even buy the vibram s, also may have to get spikes ... Got a bloody tax bill, not sure why, for 900 quid when I got home.. Bugger.

On a jolly not am off on a secret weekend with Sian and some of the girls .. 4 nights , need a passport ... Ooooo Er !

Wabo ... Very excited for you .. For Peru obv, not the Snowdonia marathon you nutter !
09/01/2013 at 18:52
Jolly NOTE not not ....
09/01/2013 at 19:11

Yasso 800s are great for training regardless of whether you use them for marathon purposes. But as AH says getting up to 10 reps on a club night could prove challenging.

Signed up for Jantastic eventually (kept putting it off and actually thought I was too late) Opted for the 5 x run per week in January which is already a challenge with being away (in sunny Mexico City in case you didn't know ) Hopefully my hosts will know some good (and safe ) routes in the city. 

So far run 37 quality miles this month - including 12 in the new DS9 Racers (I love 'em) and my not-so-secret target 1250 for 2013 is on course...

Still thinking about Bullock Smithy (as if the mere mention of it will rouse WT back to forum) - what do you think? Doable, stupid, ambitious - all of these?

09/01/2013 at 19:22
DTF, when is Bullock Smithy? I might do it, either that or the high peak 40. For when 26.2 miles arent enough....
Edited: 09/01/2013 at 19:25
09/01/2013 at 19:26
Definitely ambitious, of course its doable and I would say its stupid as well, if it were sensible, there would be no fun in it.
09/01/2013 at 19:40
Ooo forgot to say yes I love a Yasso! Bullock Smithy on the other hand ... Mmmmmmm
09/01/2013 at 19:44

Dave of COURSE you should do the BS.  So you're actually IN Mehico? Goodbye.

Susan - is your weekend away at a secret location?  How exciting.

09/01/2013 at 19:44

Is it only me that gets a bit nervous the night before a long run?

09/01/2013 at 20:12
AH, I get nervous the night before as well. I put nearly as much planning in to it as a race. Is everything charged up, are my long run socks clean, get up early enough to eat breakfast etc, and usually plan my route a bit better than I did on Sunday. Did 4.5 miles further than we had planned. Oops.
09/01/2013 at 21:16

Dave might consider BS

Lou- No but what I see as a long run has changed.

Bit of a eye opener today and interested to see what others think. In 2010 my 10 miler mid week was a key part of my Comrades training. Today I have run one of my quickest 10 milers ever but included 1KM at 9.45 pace!!!!! (all runs in KM now) The slow one was because I was walking most of it as it up a hill. At the top heart rate had dropped so was ready to run hard again. I have always tried to run all of a matathons and yes my best 2 involved running it all but maybe there is something in run/walk from the start.? (time 1.20) today so going to use it in Gloucester and see

09/01/2013 at 21:57
Dave and Martin doing Bullock Smithy ... May have to come to the pub after
10/01/2013 at 01:29
AH, Long runs, kind of look forward to them, get into a routine, kit out, nice food night before, breakfast early. Enjoy!

Susan, wasn't making fun at all. Impressed with you & the minimal shoes was what I meant. I have racing flats for some races. minimal too far for me as regular shoe, Sure someone posted on another thread that they went to park and ran on grass 1 mile a week and gradually upped it a little each time. Barefoot sounds lovely, but with all the dogs there...
Sorry to hear about tax bill.

Martin makes sense to me. run walk was my plan for Thames. Latest garmins now even have a timer for it. Anything that saves your legs for later sounds good.

Yassos - I know now for me that doing miles and halfs (or 800metres) are great for any race length - that's why my times have come down from June.
I dont think the Yasso idea is good though - when someone thinks their 800 splits will be close to marathon time. It sounds so tempting but don't know anyone it has worked for. Doing 8-10 will be getting nearly 2 hours with a warm up & c/d.
Will tempt the men to go faster at other times when maybe more important to actually go slower like on the long run, Tom & mcs?.

Amyway, Doing mix of half/ 800s & miles another time will bring your mile time down which then works well with Jeff Galloways Magic Mile Formula. Predicts my half & 10k times closely. Sub 4 roughly expects you to be able to do a 7 min mile flat out using this.
10/01/2013 at 08:36
Oh Dave you do know how to get me out of hiding It's very odd seeing everyone start their marathon training and I don't have one. I was a little tempted to enter Manchester and then changed my mind. Susan did you mention one later in the year?

Wabo - how exciting for you, bet you can't wait to see your family! Mr WT has entered Snowdonia so I'll be there supporting you, I'm still thinking about it as I think it's not really a normal marathon, but either way I'll be there so I can cheer you on

Dave/Martin - I fully expect to see you at the start line of BS in September, you'd both love it. I'm fairly sure I'll do it again but think it will be hard to beat my time although I'd love to. I've got to start finding my way round the Lakeland 50 which is slightly worrying me now due to my very bad navigational skills!

Re the barefoot I'd love to try them but worried it will kill my calves. My friend had a knee problem which is now cured from wearing these.

Running wise I had a huge kick up the bum on Sunday when I turned up for a race probably still drunk (!!) and in road shoes when it was the muddiest underfoot and I should have had fell ones on. I felt sooo ill. All self inflicted. Pre race training involved bottles of fizz and curry and rice at 1.30am.....got back to track on Monday night and I must try harder to not drink alcohol.

Susan- your trip sounds v exciting
10/01/2013 at 12:02

Wabo - enjoy Peru!!

Not sure I can add to the very technical Yasso discussion so won't even try. Spending day plodding through my Corporation tax return and my personal tax return...my head hurts and I am easily distracted...had about 10 cups of tea this morning...must focus.

Running wise it is all very crap...doing plodding runs trying to get back some mojo but not really working. I may need a new hobby like golf or fishing or darts.

Got a half marathon scheduled in a few weeks and my longest run this year has been about 6 miles so it may be a very slow and painful journey!!

Susan - enjoy your secret trip (once you get a passport!). Please can you give us a full report on one of your track sessions soon!

I like the name "Bullock Smithy" sounds real hard (which it is). I don't like the name so much that I would name one of my children it but maybe a cat or a dog! I think I may be putting off the inevitable tax return by talking rubbish so off to the paper work .....oh its nearly lunch time!!

Oh and on the running side injured my calf on Tuesday doing mile reps with club...will try running on it tonight but know deep down that it won't be better.

10/01/2013 at 12:02

TOTP

10/01/2013 at 12:07

..make that 11 cups of tea!

10/01/2013 at 13:05

You ARE bored, UmB.

WT your drunk road shoe race sounds a bit like my swim on Sunday - although I did feel a bit better after it.

Well, 14 miles done.  Very slow - 2.28 but I didn't die or anything.  I drove miles to the start of the Basingstoke Canal towpath, so keen am I to get in some long miles without scaring myself with all the hills round here. Obv had to do out and back but it was nice to be in a new area. Still managed to get v. muddy.

10/01/2013 at 15:07

12 ..and yes I am...14 miles is very impressive.

10/01/2013 at 18:07

Yes it is

10/01/2013 at 18:45

9 miles at 11 min mile pace and got a half marathon a week on Sunday Arghh.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.