sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

63,481 to 63,500 of 67,665 messages
14/01/2013 at 20:23

Oh, ok. Yes I see. Hanks. =)

14/01/2013 at 21:37

Tutu, we are ALWAYS talking about you!

14/01/2013 at 21:54
I went out earlier, did 5 miles in 42 minutes. Quite pleased with my self as it was snowing and a fair bit of snow on the ground!
14/01/2013 at 22:33

Hello Folks, training for 1st marathon but already feel i am behind the curve for 16 week training plan (3 weeks in). Went out for a 18k run at weekend, but kinda broke down after 12k, not impressive.Was running 5mins/k lasy year but this is nowhere near possible. Am i despondant too soon?

14/01/2013 at 22:33

AH - not entered York marathon - bit contentious in some quarters up here - primarily due to the price thing & also due to a local club trying to get permission to hold races in York but council turning them down and then big Jayne tomlinson organsiation applies and they get permission from council.  Also, one of my favourite trail 10 milers which rasies cash for a local charity is on the same day so will be doing that instead.

7.42 miles in an hour for me this lunchtime.  Part on snow and part on road - felt quite a slog but pace reasonably OK so quite happy - I think I've forgotten how much harder it is to run in the snow.

Susan - sounds bliss

15/01/2013 at 09:45

Missed the thread for a few days as I was quite busy at sorting out decorating, paperwork and all those things you put off over Christmas. Lovely to see so many people away and enjoying themselves. I always envy people who can get away from UK this time of the year.

Did 11 miles with Mary on Sunday morning in 2 hours. Late start as we didn't get home from London until 1.30 am. My son got me tickets for the Fulham v Wigan game on Saturday so had a few beers with him and then a few more at my sister-in-laws in the evening. Alcohol and running, the usual battle.

Good luck everyone with the training and hopefully all the injuries will heal quickly.

15/01/2013 at 13:42

Tom - better than alcohol with no running!

Ah Jovi - I see.  Didn't realise about the controversy.

Oliver - you've come to the right place . Yes you are too despondent too early.

1.  Never, EVER give up. Long runs - however long at whatever stage of the training programme - are always hard and most of us have wanted to bail many a time, but somehow, if you keep going, they DO end and you'll be glad you struggled on to nail it. Also, if you can manage long runs at the moment on your own - even if they become vile - you'll have no problem running on race day surrounded by other runners in the same boat, crowds of cheering people willing you on etc.

2.  Are you trying to run too fast?  At this stage long runs should be dead easy. Time on your feet. Do the distance, don't worry about the time.  You're building your engine (boosting your endurance) at the mo. The time for doing a bit of engine tuning (running faster) is in a month or so. Take a chill pill.

3.  Are you taking in enough energy/water on long runs? Running low on energy will make you feel rubbish.

4.  It could be that if you've upped your volume over the last few weeks it's beginning to wear you down a bit.  This could be a sort of 'it'll get worse before it gets better' thing and any minute now you'll start to feel stronger. Or it could be that you've been doing too much too soon - in which case back off a bit.  Keep the frequency of your runs up but have a week where you don't increase your volume/speed or anything to let your body catch up with itself.

5.  Don't worry about how far your training still has to go - it is too daunting for most mortals.  Just focus on each run in each week as it comes. If you just follow the programme you'll get there.  Promise!

6.  It might just have been a one off crap run.  We all have them.

Just a few things that come to mind. There could be more, but stick around and you'll see that we all go through rubbish periods and doubts.  The great thing about marathon training and following a thread like this is that it really spurs you on when you see people talking about the sessions they've done.  It makes you (well, me anyway) look forward to the time when I'm posting the session I've done.

Here endeth the lesson.

15/01/2013 at 13:44

Where's Fido?

15/01/2013 at 14:26

Thank you Artful Hen!

Yes, a little in my chemistry to be despondant at times, but appreciate all the great lessons...feeling a little chirpier today and will be out for a run later so will concentrate on that.....

Been told the crucial part is to work around one long run each week and build it up from there, so thats what i will do. I think you may be right that i am trying to pace myself too quickly too early, rather than build my lung capacity and do some decent (and slowish) miles...

Thank you for your feedback and you'll hear more from me

15/01/2013 at 15:49

I've heard they need to be 6 months to go in a running buggy, not sure how strict that is, but I suppose getting back into it by myself is probably a good thing.

I keep hearing about the York Marathon, October sometime? Definitely too early for me but I'll go over to watch if I know a few people running it.

AH - Mr Tutu is very excited about the arrival of the little one thanks. It's fun being at home with him during the day and just having this quiet time with the 2 of us and the cat though - obviously he is technically 'working' still, I think having me kicking around is a bit of a distraction though, oops. Off to see the Hobbit in the bit, hurrah!

Wise words from the Hen there, you are definitely in the right place Oliver.

Ikle - eek!

Susan - loved the pic of Sian on facebook, made me giggle. Hope you're having a lovely time sunning yourselves. Have you been to the souks yet? They are fun but crazy, I found it a bit hard not to get stressed when I went!

15/01/2013 at 16:04

Hope it goes well, then, later today, Oliver.  Are you following a plan? 

15/01/2013 at 16:19

Yes Oliver. What Artful Hen said. She's good she is. I found myself thinking make sure you are not running too fast. Just get the miles in, take your time, write off runs that you didn't do or didn't finish and make each run a new moment.

It's all such good fun!

15/01/2013 at 17:18

Hello, do you mind if I join this thread? I've been tentatively thinking about my chances of running a sub 4 marathon in April, and I'd like to stick my toe in the water and eavesdrop on how you guys are all doing, so I can gauge whether it's feasible.

My training has been going pretty well. I previously ran one marathon (Brighton 2010) in 5:08 when i was seriously underprepared (long, dull story) but decided to turn up anyway. I've done a couple of halfs since. The most recent was June 2011, after which life got in the way and i gave up running for about a year. I picked it up again this august, and decided to build some slow, steady miles throughout the autumn, and started my 18 week P&D plan for the Manchester Marathon about 4 weeks ago.

So far so good. My 5k PB (as of last weekend) is 24:21 and i've been feeling strong on all my runs so far, including the 14mi on Sunday, which has prompted me to wonder again if I could sneak in under 4hours (mcmillan running calculator suggests it's not out of the question) 

I think there's an outside chance, and I seem to be coping well enough with the various training paces. My soft target is about 4:15-4:20, but I'm hoping if i continue to progress in training, and avoid injury, then I can shoot for 4hours and see where I land.

15/01/2013 at 17:18

I should probably shoot for 3:59:59 though, right?

15/01/2013 at 17:35

Hello Ginger. Goal creep is a dangerous thing, especially this early on!  Having said that nothing's impossible. It's a huge subject but over the next few weeks you have to think what's most important?  Finishing feeling good, but faster than 5.08? Finishing in a particular time? Your 5k time is similar to mine but 5k is soooo different to a mara.  Even a half marathon isn't really a good indicator, but it's better than a 5k. 

15/01/2013 at 17:39

Cheers Hen, yep, i see what you mean, which is why i'm a little speculative about it. I certainly don't intend to rock up on race day and head off at 9:09min/miles, unless my prep indicates I have a reasonable chance of not blowing up at halfway, or at mile 20.

Honestly, i'd be a miracle not to get a PB, so I'll be happy come what may, but I think there's a little more I can squeeze out the tube at the moment so i'm going to delay making a decision on race pace until nearer the time, and see how training goes.

15/01/2013 at 19:17
Hello all especially new people think this must be most people ever

hello tu tu only seems yesterday I saw your scan picture

got a bad feeling about gloucester this weekend. Never had a race cancelled on me but snow would only result in 1 outcome real shame as feeling good at moment 10k in 48 mon and 25k in 2.17 today with lots of walk breaks. New people ignore these times they are not your targets
16/01/2013 at 10:42

Weather got in the way of last night's run. Waited until my wife got home from work but by that time the temperature had really dropped and the pavements were like ice rinks as well as being dark. The council turned off every other street light a year ago and made running in the winter a much more dangerous task, so we gave it a miss and celebrated her birthday in a more relaxed fashion! Still hoping for 3hrs 59 mins and 59 secs.

I think all you can do is train and see what your times are over some of the longer races. My biggest fault in all marathons is going off too fast and then getting cramp at around the 20 - 23 mile mark. I thought it was down to hydration initially but read a great article in Runners World a while ago about cramp. It appears that the hydration theory was based on people involved in heavy work and was rather sketchy.

mcs
16/01/2013 at 15:49

Keep your chin up Oliver you have only just started..... Did my longest run since Edinburgh Mara on Saturday, a 19 plus hilly fell run, mud, fields and tracks up and down very little level, dead at the end and had to call into a garage for food at mile 16!!!.......fantastic here today minus 6 this am, ice and snow on the ground still and the new Speedcrosses have really kept me upright. Get training slowly and carefully and dont fall over folks!!!
The road to success is always under construction!!!

16/01/2013 at 16:23

AH, will always sponsor you. Good news that running is feeling easier, after epic long run, XC and Yassos sounds nice progression and no coughing too. And as for the naughty old dog comments by Ikle, you're always learning new tricks so definitely not right Top dog?

Tutu, lovely to see you back.

Susan I assume is sunning herself by pool whilst we all freeze.

Agent Ginger welcome. As AH says, its too early now. Best to take it easy now, and base your pace on a half marathon nearer the time, March or whenever. Its a bit of a stretch to jump from 5hrs to sub 4 unless you show that improvement on 10k & half times. Oh and P&D is a bit anal as plans go. Mad speed and high mileage - not really recommended.

Oliver & Tom, you're in the same boat, best advice someone gave me last year was to do my first 2-3 long runs at rough marathon pace plus 90 seconds... felt soo slow. But it really works especially for men. great advice from AH too, solid gold. Tom - zero tablets are ace but gels have electrolytes in anyway. Clif shots for me.

mcs, great run.. see below, sounds similar. also looking at the speedcross.

League race for me at weekend, cold and although in a park, very twisty turny which I find hard, and on a camber / angled path the whole time which I don't like from old injury left hip & heel... (AH you are not alone!) 4 laps going left the whole time... grrr. 5.5 miles in 35 minutes, roughly 6.30min miles, not too shabby but not flat out pace either - Jan is more a month for LOOOONG stuff in my plan. Then 6 ish miles warm down with friends to our house, sausages sizzling in the AGA, bacon, tea.. lovely!

Light stuff only this week, then a busy weekend - final preparation for the ultra - with Jovi - or at least it was till today.

Saturday doing Hebden Bridge 22 miler with my missus at her pace, hilly and also expecting snow. Backpacks, jackets, trail shoes and tons of lovely food every 3-4 miles, plus a full meal and dessert with custard at the end. Hills estimated approx 3500-4000 ft. Call me mad, but it will be FUN.

Then Sunday doing Helsby Half marathon as a training run, pace to be decided. Maybe try and meet LO65.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.