sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

63,501 to 63,520 of 66,871 messages
15/01/2013 at 17:18

I should probably shoot for 3:59:59 though, right?

15/01/2013 at 17:35

Hello Ginger. Goal creep is a dangerous thing, especially this early on!  Having said that nothing's impossible. It's a huge subject but over the next few weeks you have to think what's most important?  Finishing feeling good, but faster than 5.08? Finishing in a particular time? Your 5k time is similar to mine but 5k is soooo different to a mara.  Even a half marathon isn't really a good indicator, but it's better than a 5k. 

15/01/2013 at 17:39

Cheers Hen, yep, i see what you mean, which is why i'm a little speculative about it. I certainly don't intend to rock up on race day and head off at 9:09min/miles, unless my prep indicates I have a reasonable chance of not blowing up at halfway, or at mile 20.

Honestly, i'd be a miracle not to get a PB, so I'll be happy come what may, but I think there's a little more I can squeeze out the tube at the moment so i'm going to delay making a decision on race pace until nearer the time, and see how training goes.

15/01/2013 at 19:17
Hello all especially new people think this must be most people ever

hello tu tu only seems yesterday I saw your scan picture

got a bad feeling about gloucester this weekend. Never had a race cancelled on me but snow would only result in 1 outcome real shame as feeling good at moment 10k in 48 mon and 25k in 2.17 today with lots of walk breaks. New people ignore these times they are not your targets
16/01/2013 at 10:42

Weather got in the way of last night's run. Waited until my wife got home from work but by that time the temperature had really dropped and the pavements were like ice rinks as well as being dark. The council turned off every other street light a year ago and made running in the winter a much more dangerous task, so we gave it a miss and celebrated her birthday in a more relaxed fashion! Still hoping for 3hrs 59 mins and 59 secs.

I think all you can do is train and see what your times are over some of the longer races. My biggest fault in all marathons is going off too fast and then getting cramp at around the 20 - 23 mile mark. I thought it was down to hydration initially but read a great article in Runners World a while ago about cramp. It appears that the hydration theory was based on people involved in heavy work and was rather sketchy.

mcs
16/01/2013 at 15:49

Keep your chin up Oliver you have only just started..... Did my longest run since Edinburgh Mara on Saturday, a 19 plus hilly fell run, mud, fields and tracks up and down very little level, dead at the end and had to call into a garage for food at mile 16!!!.......fantastic here today minus 6 this am, ice and snow on the ground still and the new Speedcrosses have really kept me upright. Get training slowly and carefully and dont fall over folks!!!
The road to success is always under construction!!!

16/01/2013 at 16:23

AH, will always sponsor you. Good news that running is feeling easier, after epic long run, XC and Yassos sounds nice progression and no coughing too. And as for the naughty old dog comments by Ikle, you're always learning new tricks so definitely not right Top dog?

Tutu, lovely to see you back.

Susan I assume is sunning herself by pool whilst we all freeze.

Agent Ginger welcome. As AH says, its too early now. Best to take it easy now, and base your pace on a half marathon nearer the time, March or whenever. Its a bit of a stretch to jump from 5hrs to sub 4 unless you show that improvement on 10k & half times. Oh and P&D is a bit anal as plans go. Mad speed and high mileage - not really recommended.

Oliver & Tom, you're in the same boat, best advice someone gave me last year was to do my first 2-3 long runs at rough marathon pace plus 90 seconds... felt soo slow. But it really works especially for men. great advice from AH too, solid gold. Tom - zero tablets are ace but gels have electrolytes in anyway. Clif shots for me.

mcs, great run.. see below, sounds similar. also looking at the speedcross.

League race for me at weekend, cold and although in a park, very twisty turny which I find hard, and on a camber / angled path the whole time which I don't like from old injury left hip & heel... (AH you are not alone!) 4 laps going left the whole time... grrr. 5.5 miles in 35 minutes, roughly 6.30min miles, not too shabby but not flat out pace either - Jan is more a month for LOOOONG stuff in my plan. Then 6 ish miles warm down with friends to our house, sausages sizzling in the AGA, bacon, tea.. lovely!

Light stuff only this week, then a busy weekend - final preparation for the ultra - with Jovi - or at least it was till today.

Saturday doing Hebden Bridge 22 miler with my missus at her pace, hilly and also expecting snow. Backpacks, jackets, trail shoes and tons of lovely food every 3-4 miles, plus a full meal and dessert with custard at the end. Hills estimated approx 3500-4000 ft. Call me mad, but it will be FUN.

Then Sunday doing Helsby Half marathon as a training run, pace to be decided. Maybe try and meet LO65.

16/01/2013 at 17:37

Lost a post.  Think there may be a few cancelled races this weekend...

I did 15.5 miles today. Sore knees now cos had to stay on road, but what a beautiful day to run. Happy with pace - smidge faster than last week's 14 on a more undulating route.  Didn't feel dead at the end. But I can feel the road in my legs.  Most of the tracks round here are too rutted and frozen and ankle breaky to run on at the mo.

Another week's long run done.

16/01/2013 at 18:57

AH, your mileage for long run is nice and high already isn't it? I've done 12 as my longest so far, and at the weekend it goes back to 10.

Just letting my dinner go down before going out for hilly 5 miler in the dark. Yummy! And my legs still ache from the gym yesterday. I did that thing (don't know name) when you put your leg in TRX straps low and make a press up shape then bring your knees in up to your chest. 3 sets of 12. Horrid. First gym session of the year. Couldn't fit in the pump session yesterday because of all the New Year's Resolution peeps booking in. Darn it. Did a 4 mile run on tread mill too. What a bore!

16/01/2013 at 19:15

FRC - very kind re offer of sponsorship.  All my charities have agreed to register with Virgin Money Giving... but apparently it'll take 2 weeks for all the checks/validations to go through.  But I will def have the begging bowl out one day in the not too distant future

16/01/2013 at 22:49

Ikle, get with the lingo . Atomic press up.

3 sets of 12 is a lot... you'd be very tired. We do 30 - 40 seconds of them 15 seconds rest then onto another exercise. There is a one minute fitness test to see how many you can do... very hard. Tough on the glutes also so be careful.

AH, good they are joining up to Virgin. Long runs looking good for you.

Got email from weekend race organisers.. "If we can get to the start line and the marshals can get to where they should be then it will be on. Walking in up to 6-9” of fresh snow is possible."

Wonder if its worth getting some of those Yak Trak or similar things.

Edited: 16/01/2013 at 22:49
16/01/2013 at 22:53
Yes AH ramping up the miles .. My longest still 11 miles on Christmas Eve ! Don't worry Ickle. Did six slow miles yesterday in Morocco along the road sides much Exhaust fumes! Back now to freezing Blighty, got burnt and prickly heated legs ! Nice... Work tomorrow and a ten miler Sunday ... Best get some miles in soon ..
16/01/2013 at 23:14

Thanks FRC I feel more heroic now.

I'm really happy with my training so far. Apart from when I was sick, I've completely stuck to it so far and done nearly 4 weeks out of the 16. I am completely overrun at work though. What with work, MA, French learning and marathon training I've got no time for anything. Just listened to the first episode of a beginners' French CD so that's why I'm still awake. Work entirely bonkers and have been on a 2 day course this week about Approach training for children (how to NOT get punched in the mouth training!) Night all!

17/01/2013 at 07:38
Go go Ickle......
17/01/2013 at 10:09

mcs
17/01/2013 at 12:07

Freezing here and running into work had to be fast to stay alive.....got to dash home at five that will be another speedy run in the great Speedcross 3s which I bought at the right time great for the snow on the trail, ice not great but nothing is apart from crampons. More snow due here in the Peak District tonight. Stay safe a customer of mine broke her wrist on Monday night slipping over.

17/01/2013 at 20:00
We have had snow here in lincs for a few days, which hasn't been to bad to run on, but noe its icy, its awful! So I haven't been out for a run today! Feeling guilty though!
17/01/2013 at 20:16
I'm meant to be doing a marathon coaching course with Mara Yamaouchi as the speaker. Wonder if it'll go ahead?
17/01/2013 at 20:27
AH, when is it?
17/01/2013 at 21:18
AH, is he who the marathon was named after?! I'm so hilarious.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.