sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

63,541 to 63,560 of 67,859 messages
19/01/2013 at 19:55

Susan - was it the Fred Hughes 10 you were doing?  There is something on FETCH to say that the race has been cancelled.

19/01/2013 at 21:46
Yes got a text earlier, was never going to happen. Can't do it anyway the way I feel. Hey ho
19/01/2013 at 22:05

Susan - hope you're feeling better soon and fight off the dreaded lurgy.  Have you ever done the Serpies Last Friday of the month race?  there is an outsidde chance I'm going to be in London on Good Friday (potential gig on the night before) and wondered what its like - flat? I might just enter anyway as it's only £2. the last time I entered I ended up with an invite to the Jon bon Jovi quesiton & answer session thing so didnt make it so quite fancy giving it a go.

Edited: 19/01/2013 at 22:07
19/01/2013 at 22:20
Yes did it for the first time at end of December, flat as a pancake, very friendly, will try and do it if am around. Was 2nd vet 50 lady in Dec
20/01/2013 at 09:53

10 mile snowy run with TGR. CHECK! SO much fun running on the edge of Epping Forest and skidding along by the river. Lovin' it.

20/01/2013 at 10:32
Well done Ickle .. I was meant to be doing exactly that but I appear to be in bed still ...
20/01/2013 at 17:52
Wrll folks, 6 runs this week, a total of 36 miles, so quite pleasedwith that, taking into account the weather! Bath half on march 3rd, I should be ready. I need to focus my training though, I just seem to be concentrating on putting in the miles......
20/01/2013 at 19:18

I survived my 15 miles with the fast guys - just!  Fantastic run - hills, snow, mud and forests. I was delightede to see another lady turn up but she peeled off after about 5 miles as she had to go to work. However, she is a 19 minute 5K runner so even she was much speedier than me - and about 25 years younger!  I was managing to keep up with the fast guys until about 9 miles when we came to a rare flat section.  It was a gorgeous snowy section through a beautiful river valley.  The guys had been going at a manageable pace (if faster than I'd usually do a long run) until that point but they went a bit mad on the flat section and I found myself running through the snow at close to my half marahton race pace - I think that did for me.  Last couple of miles I was hanging on for grim death and my calfs wanted to murder me. They assured me at the end they were impressed I'd kept up and said they looked forward to running again so hopefully I put up a decent enough showing to be invited back! and as my mate's wife said - what doesn't kill you and all that!

20/01/2013 at 19:41
Good running jovi, I now feel like a sloth like wimp!
20/01/2013 at 19:51
I've done 4 plus 5 plus 4 plus 10 this week which makes 23 if I'm not mistaken. I've only recently gone into the 20s. Exciting! Didn't have any pain after today's run either. Just slightly tight at top of left ham that's all...
20/01/2013 at 19:52

Scott - not at all.  As I'm planning another ultra and a few marahtons this year I'm having to start building the mileage up now. I'm also very competetive and would rather collapse than admit I couldn't keep up and ask them to slow down

20/01/2013 at 19:53

Ikle - great to hear no post run pain - long may it continue! 23 miles is a great milage this early in marahton training - that's 100 miles a month which is fab.

Edited: 20/01/2013 at 19:53
20/01/2013 at 20:17

Jovi, Thanks for the encouragement. And well done for your run. I can't believe I didn't win the 'most heroic' competition! Today's run in the snow was the most fun I've ever done!

20/01/2013 at 21:53
Hello all. Just a quick skim read. Poor lurgied Susan.

Hello Fido. Hope you're fixed.

Course cancelled on Sat. Bummer but actually, given the snow, made life easier. Was looking forward to meeting Mara thou.

Bummer re all the cancelled races.
20/01/2013 at 22:38
Bit better today thanks AH I will beat the germs .. Did you get your run in?
Awesome run Jovi and Ickle ..
21/01/2013 at 00:56
Some good runs going on, with Jovi and Ikle. Hope Susans feeling better too.

Fido forgets to mention in her little intro her amazing run at 56 mile Comrades ultra last year going sub 11 hr and getting a bronze medal. Also reducing most of us to tears with the report.( Ditto WTs sub 4 at Manchester in freezing rain.). Both reasons to be here.

Just under 50 miles for the week, high for me usually only 35-40 ish for peak marathon weeks only but ultra in 2 weeks.

Did a 22 mile event at Hebden Bridge with Mrs FRC Saturday, cold, snowing, snow underfoot, often compacted, very hard. Still trying to work out the amount of hills, my new Garmin can actually work it out "properly" with altimeter, and reckons 4500 ft, but Garmins site reckons 5500. Mad !

Either way, for someone only who had only just done 2-3 half marathons, a few 15-17 miles on flat in training, and a hilly run at Moel Famau, carrying a backpack and all those hills and snow, she found it very tough, but finished. Much complaining when she hadn't eaten enough or right things regularly and energy dipped, kept dosing her with clif bloks, then got sore leg muscles so painkillers needed - finishing was a huge achievement for her.. Mrs FRC is now very inspired and got a big confidence boost. More events planned, nice change of pace for me, really enjoyed it.

Lots of lovely sweet cakes & things at all checkpoints, midway sandwiches, hot cups of tea, plus full meal at pies, peas plus crumble & custard , for ??9. Top value!

I got a great kit test for the ultra too, merino baselayer, new soft shell Montane trail jacket (both perfect), plus same make waterproof, even went down to testing bionic underwear and socks And lots of time on feet which was ideal.

Oh we were photographed too by Sports Sunday AND the Sunday Sport... (think about it). One official, the other one doing (cough) some natural type photos with a young lady. Fur coat and no ..... . Cue shocked looks as runners appeared.

Half marathon cancelled today, so did 14+ miles with club mates mostly trail and felt pretty good. Legs in decent nick, now tapering, sports massage tomorrow after heavy mileage month. 2 months into my plan for VLM and all good so far.
mcs
21/01/2013 at 13:55

Sounds like you had fun FRC....... Guess you had to buy the paper.

Shame about races cancelled, they seem to cancel quick these days.

We have had heavy snow here all weekend and last night plenty again. Didn't do a long run at the weekend too risky with my left ankle so did some sledging and snowboarding instead with the youngest great fun, a sort of cross training effort. Good to see you guys are all at it, need a treadie I guess here in the office perhaps as no room at home.  Ran down to work on the trail in the speedcrosses and then seem quite good as long as I stay off any ice. Got my waterproof socks on which are brilliant really keep the water off the feet. Need to do some miles this week......lets hope we get a thaw soon.

21/01/2013 at 20:18

So apart from an (almost) naked Hen in the garden what other fun things have been happening?

Mexico City is pretty much a run free zone unless you have a guide - and I didn't - so 4 uber exciting treadmill sessions in the hotel was as good as it got. Quite tough at altitude too - didn't expect it to be so... uh... breathless. No detailed reports on these sessions - sorry.

So, I treated myself to an 8 mile run this evening in the ice (although not that bad down here really) and it was lovely.

I'll read back now and do my own catching up

21/01/2013 at 21:58
Great run from Mrs FRC. Sounded a really tough run.
Welcome home Dave and glad you're on the mend Susan. Yes I did get my run in yesterday but wasnt exactly the 7 mile tempo it should have been. But was fab in th snow again.

Did intervals on the dreadill this morning. Think I'll do the tempo runs from the FIRST Prog. Have been looking back at what I did for Paris and was impressed. (mainly because I managed to write down all my mile splits in such detail.) haven't even read the instructions for downloading runs from my new garmin yet and I've had it about a month.
21/01/2013 at 22:35
Which Garmin did you get AH? Newish ones are much easier.

I see today was meant to be the most depressing day of the year? Glad we booked it off, Nice massage for both of us. A bit of retail therapy and Brazilian buffet meat thing.

Hope everyone okay in the snow. Ikle & mcs?
Edited: 21/01/2013 at 22:39
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.