sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

63,561 to 63,580 of 67,240 messages
20/01/2013 at 21:53
Hello all. Just a quick skim read. Poor lurgied Susan.

Hello Fido. Hope you're fixed.

Course cancelled on Sat. Bummer but actually, given the snow, made life easier. Was looking forward to meeting Mara thou.

Bummer re all the cancelled races.
20/01/2013 at 22:38
Bit better today thanks AH I will beat the germs .. Did you get your run in?
Awesome run Jovi and Ickle ..
21/01/2013 at 00:56
Some good runs going on, with Jovi and Ikle. Hope Susans feeling better too.

Fido forgets to mention in her little intro her amazing run at 56 mile Comrades ultra last year going sub 11 hr and getting a bronze medal. Also reducing most of us to tears with the report.( Ditto WTs sub 4 at Manchester in freezing rain.). Both reasons to be here.

Just under 50 miles for the week, high for me usually only 35-40 ish for peak marathon weeks only but ultra in 2 weeks.

Did a 22 mile event at Hebden Bridge with Mrs FRC Saturday, cold, snowing, snow underfoot, often compacted, very hard. Still trying to work out the amount of hills, my new Garmin can actually work it out "properly" with altimeter, and reckons 4500 ft, but Garmins site reckons 5500. Mad !

Either way, for someone only who had only just done 2-3 half marathons, a few 15-17 miles on flat in training, and a hilly run at Moel Famau, carrying a backpack and all those hills and snow, she found it very tough, but finished. Much complaining when she hadn't eaten enough or right things regularly and energy dipped, kept dosing her with clif bloks, then got sore leg muscles so painkillers needed - finishing was a huge achievement for her.. Mrs FRC is now very inspired and got a big confidence boost. More events planned, nice change of pace for me, really enjoyed it.

Lots of lovely sweet cakes & things at all checkpoints, midway sandwiches, hot cups of tea, plus full meal at pies, peas plus crumble & custard , for ??9. Top value!

I got a great kit test for the ultra too, merino baselayer, new soft shell Montane trail jacket (both perfect), plus same make waterproof, even went down to testing bionic underwear and socks And lots of time on feet which was ideal.

Oh we were photographed too by Sports Sunday AND the Sunday Sport... (think about it). One official, the other one doing (cough) some natural type photos with a young lady. Fur coat and no ..... . Cue shocked looks as runners appeared.

Half marathon cancelled today, so did 14+ miles with club mates mostly trail and felt pretty good. Legs in decent nick, now tapering, sports massage tomorrow after heavy mileage month. 2 months into my plan for VLM and all good so far.
mcs
21/01/2013 at 13:55

Sounds like you had fun FRC....... Guess you had to buy the paper.

Shame about races cancelled, they seem to cancel quick these days.

We have had heavy snow here all weekend and last night plenty again. Didn't do a long run at the weekend too risky with my left ankle so did some sledging and snowboarding instead with the youngest great fun, a sort of cross training effort. Good to see you guys are all at it, need a treadie I guess here in the office perhaps as no room at home.  Ran down to work on the trail in the speedcrosses and then seem quite good as long as I stay off any ice. Got my waterproof socks on which are brilliant really keep the water off the feet. Need to do some miles this week......lets hope we get a thaw soon.

21/01/2013 at 20:18

So apart from an (almost) naked Hen in the garden what other fun things have been happening?

Mexico City is pretty much a run free zone unless you have a guide - and I didn't - so 4 uber exciting treadmill sessions in the hotel was as good as it got. Quite tough at altitude too - didn't expect it to be so... uh... breathless. No detailed reports on these sessions - sorry.

So, I treated myself to an 8 mile run this evening in the ice (although not that bad down here really) and it was lovely.

I'll read back now and do my own catching up

21/01/2013 at 21:58
Great run from Mrs FRC. Sounded a really tough run.
Welcome home Dave and glad you're on the mend Susan. Yes I did get my run in yesterday but wasnt exactly the 7 mile tempo it should have been. But was fab in th snow again.

Did intervals on the dreadill this morning. Think I'll do the tempo runs from the FIRST Prog. Have been looking back at what I did for Paris and was impressed. (mainly because I managed to write down all my mile splits in such detail.) haven't even read the instructions for downloading runs from my new garmin yet and I've had it about a month.
21/01/2013 at 22:35
Which Garmin did you get AH? Newish ones are much easier.

I see today was meant to be the most depressing day of the year? Glad we booked it off, Nice massage for both of us. A bit of retail therapy and Brazilian buffet meat thing.

Hope everyone okay in the snow. Ikle & mcs?
Edited: 21/01/2013 at 22:39
mcs
22/01/2013 at 09:54

Plenty of snow here, ran a five miler with daughter this am on the trail got some nice pics on the Monsal Head Viaduct then through the tunnel down to work. Hard work running in the snow, toughens you up I guess!!!  As I type a little robin is looking through the window at me as I have a couple of feeders on the window and he is trying to keep the blue tits away. Time for some work I guess.

22/01/2013 at 10:18

susan - great to hear you on the recovery road.

AH - meant to say - loved the snowy swimming cossie pics - bonkers but admiration for you!

Dave - welcome back to the frozen UK! good to hear you had a fun run

mcs - sounds a great run. 

I was snowbound at home yesterday so did a very steady 5 miles out and about around our village - as msc says, hard going in the snow but absoutely fab run - so peaceful under a blanket of snow. Made it out of the village today so back in work. No running for me today as ran most days in the last 7 and I am in desperate need of a rest.

and in other exciting news (drum roll) - my best mate who I do all the Jovi shows with has won us VIP guest list tix for a small intimate Radio 2 gig at the BBC Radio Theatre on thursday night - to say I am excited is probably the udnerstatemnt of the century!!!  

mcs
22/01/2013 at 11:45

Jovi shows?? Intrigued?? More information please

22/01/2013 at 11:56

Raining... yuk!

mcs
22/01/2013 at 14:34

Freezing still here!!

22/01/2013 at 19:21

mcs - they're doing a small show for the BBC at BBC Radio Theatre - you could apply via a BBC ballott (200 tickets available) and the fanclub also had a competition.  My friend won the fanclub tickets which are guest list entries so we go in with the VIPs & execs! Just checked t'internet and it says max capacity is 425 so its going to be a pretty intimate show - only ever seen them in arenas or stadiums so really looking forward to it - show number 51 here I come!. As you may have guessed by my board name - Bon Jovi is my other obsesssion!

Edited: 22/01/2013 at 19:24
22/01/2013 at 20:18
Jovi that really does sound amazing. You must be beside yourself. I'm surer you already know he's on the One Show tomorrow?
22/01/2013 at 20:41
Wow Jovi how cool!

Am feeling better just got a very runny nose now ! Also trying to push to the back of my mnd how few long runs I have done and hope i Still have it in me .. Got Watford half a week Sunday .. On the back of pretty much nil long runs ... Oooops. Parliament hill cross country cancelled on Saturday .. Will try a long run instead ....it's ll in the mind isn't it?
22/01/2013 at 20:42
All in the mind I should say ...
22/01/2013 at 21:05

Susan - am sureyou'll be OK - with having done a lot of marthons you'll definitely have a lot of latent long run fitness.

Yes, knew Jon was on One Show - we also applied for audience tix for that but didnt get those a few of my friends are going.  They are over doing promo for the tour in the summer. I'm beside myself with excitment re Thursday night!

23/01/2013 at 10:32

morning

Well done on the tickets wendy. Have you decided about TP50? I know you said no but ???????????????? Sure you would be OK

Susan Agree You will be fine All those years running count for something!

Great run Mr & Mrs FRC

Still to bad to run on the paths here in Lincs so me and the TM becoming friends NOT but never mind. With half an eye on TR did 2 x 10k yesterday AM/evening. Both sub 50 and done in different ways First 1 same pace all way second progressive. Despite being 2nd run of the day found it easier. Hope to get out Thursday (Im on holiday not sure if thats good/bad?)

23/01/2013 at 12:38

Cautiously happy about my first proper tempo run of the Brighton campaign. In fact first proper tempo run for EVER.  Cross country races have been the closest I've got recently.

AAAANyway - did 7 miles with 5 miles at tempo.  Was aiming for 8.30s and achieved that into the wind for the first half. Then turned round and came home at 7.57, 7.56.  Suffice to say that's easily within the FIRST target tempo pace for sub 4.

23/01/2013 at 14:36

Wendy - have you really seen Bon Jovi 51 times?? Perhaps you should be on the One Show with him! 

Nice run Hen, defo within FIRST pace...

I went out last night in the dark, freezing wetness of New Milton. It was surprisingly windy, wasn't expecting that... led a small group of 3 (inc. me) on an abridged route of 4 miles. Gentle build up then sprinted back to the club so I could thaw out.

Missed on of my Jantastic runs last week (doh) but will get back on track this week of course. 

Still umm-ing & arr-ing about an Autumn marathon - quite fancy Chester again if I do one. Must admit Bullock looks pretty unlikely really, at least this year.

What other Autumn options are there?

Also, anyone around in London Town on Feb 6th for a quick snifter at the Railway? 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.