sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

63,721 to 63,740 of 67,269 messages
03/02/2013 at 11:26
Learning the ropes here. Have revised nickname as I don't want to shout no more. Feet up today. Had to revise schedule since next weeks half marathon the Moreton Morrell Mad Dash is on a Saturday. It will be my first half marathon and will be 8 weeks before the Paris marathon
03/02/2013 at 11:55

Well done, Alexander, on all fronts.

I ran 10K today at Regent's Park in about 49:30. I'm v pleased to be the right side of 50 minutes once more... It was flipping FREEZING!

03/02/2013 at 13:28
congrats frc. A fantastic run. Have I missed something r u doing london?.

Ikle great 10k going well

well done howard

hope all had good runs today very windy here but a good 20 done in 2.57 pleased with my pace with a few walks on the hills
03/02/2013 at 14:13
Welcome Alexander. And good luck with the half. Glad you're not in capitals any more.
And not a meercat I assume off the advert ?

Ikle fan 10k. Sub 50 is on track for sub 4 marathon 3:55 up..just saying ? Cause someone needs to
Get around a 1:50 half or lower then ...

Martin. Yes doing VLM. got in the ballot ages ago end of Sept. My mad Franken monster plan for the last 5 months has all been with London in mind. I could say it was carefully planned mesocycles .. But just kept it simple. Speed then endurance. Then both.

You would've enjoyed TT yesterday. Ideal for comrades ?

Been for a walk today, mooch around the Ashmolean. Legs pretty good. Easy easy week planned. Much food.
03/02/2013 at 14:35

Thanks, Martin (35716!) Yes you done good with your 20 miler. Sheesh, there's always someone that's done more than yourself, isn't there? I was saying just that to my brother, (Cicero) who just did 16 miles and isn't even Training for a Marathon!

And thanks FRC. Your remarks have made me a bit excited, I must admit. 10k times and marathon times just seem a world apart, but it's good to be reminded that the maths works, especially now my knees don't hurt any more. It's just that when I do a long run, I'm always around the 9:30 - 10 mark, whereas I used to be more like 9 - 9:10mm, so I'd got to thinking that sub 4 may not be achieveable...

Do you think I should have 9:09 as my marathon pace in training?

I would hope to be sub 1:50 in my half on the 3rd March. I usually am when knees behave.

Lots of questions...

03/02/2013 at 14:44

37th out of 204 ladies... Gun time 49:41; chip time 49:24. Which one do you have to take most notice of? (More questions)

03/02/2013 at 15:50

Ikle- Chip without a doubt. Forget abour what others are doing we all know the thread has changed a little over the years bvut its the people who make it special

FRC- Great see you there.

03/02/2013 at 19:42
My god FRC that's some long run for Mara training .. Are you intent on making me the slackest person on thread ..oh no I do that ALL on my own

Great run Ickle and Martin and everyone who ran.

I did Watford half and decided to try and run with Lucy, some of you met in Newcastle, so ended up doing it in 1.57 which was pleased with as have not broken two hours in Watford for three years and we powered in the last three miles, negative split. Saw Mick n Phil early on up one of the hardest hills , and Sian ad a chat with him apparently it's his first half back post an op ... So when I hit the next hills just thought of Mick behind me pushing that wheelchair. Inspirational
03/02/2013 at 19:43
Heard them say as he came over the line with the wheelchair it was his 365 th half marathon. Respect
03/02/2013 at 19:57

Marathon pace runs (e.g. 7-10 miles @ MP as a single run or 5 miles @ MP at the end of a long run) are great for building confidence. 

9:09 is usually about 9:05 "as shown on garmin". Ickle your 10k and HM times are fine for a sub-4 if all is well.But it must be so frustrating having the injury problems you have had.

If people do their whole runs at MP then that suggests they are underestimating what their MP is.

03/02/2013 at 19:57

Wow, well done Susan. Aren't we great!?!

03/02/2013 at 20:49
You are !
Well done Susan. Nicely done. and your friend with the wheelchair. Wow.

Oh and I won't run much the next 7 days, upto 2 weeks so that's my less is more bit. 5-10 miles maybe. This week is most I've run ever in 7 days so rest needed!

Ikle, backing up what Fido says, you don't need to force that long run pace... You could just end up knackered or injured.

For me.. "training" pace in long runs over say 14 miles is 45-90 seconds slower than your target so 9:45-10:15+ is fine for you... That's the way I always do it. I did 9:15-30 last year for first 20 miler when going for sub 3:30 (which is 8 min miles).

Then gradually get tighter on that range nearer the race but never big chunks, or the whole run. Most I would do is 1-5 miles at end and only if I felt up to it. Even the last mile at MP is enough. Just doing 20 miles is tough enough.

Can do the 9:00 ish pace on your midweek medium run. Any speed work much faster 7-8 min mile pace.
Once you taper, you'll get more endurance than normal and fingers crossed get that time.
03/02/2013 at 21:03
Hanks FRC. In my training programme it says to do MP at the end of some runs. Only for a very few miles. I just wasn't sure what it would be since I haven't quite decided what my marathon pace ought to be!
03/02/2013 at 21:11
Exactly. You dont know what it is yet.

10k gives you a bit of info - just have to get the endurance now. Do the paces slower as suggested and you have lots of wiggle room for 3:55-4:20. No need to do MP at the end religiously. If you feel fresh, then yep. If not, still a great long run.

If you're doing a half nearer the time, that may give you an idea what to go for realistically - and if your body can cope with it.
03/02/2013 at 21:57
Interesting spin on "less is more" FRC.
03/02/2013 at 22:17

Alexander - glad my rudeness didn't put you off. I am too bossy.

With my long run progressions, that's exactly what they are - progressions. So 16 (ok, so it went wrong and ended up being 17.5), 18, 20, 15 (to have an easy week after three weeks building up), then 20, 15, 20 (4 wks out), 17/18 (3 weeks out - ie still quite long cos three weeks out so last long run), then 13, 6, race.That was the thinking anyway.

Ikle - I'm going for 9.05. In past maras I've gone for 9.00, but that ends up being 8.50-8.55 which all of a sudden is 10-14 secs/mile too fast. Recipe for disaster (well, has been a few times). So I'm aiming to stick to 9.05.  I was thinking 9.05 to stay just on the right side of 9.09 and to allow for the extra distance that we always end up running in a marathon. Interesting, then to see Fido's comment about 9.09 being "9.05 as shown on Garmin."

03/02/2013 at 22:18

Have just had a row with my poor daughter.

04/02/2013 at 07:21
What was the row about ? 9.09 vs 9.05 ?
Completely understand the progressions now ... Just far too many miles for me.
Slack by name slack by nature
04/02/2013 at 12:32

Thanks Dave and Hen for your comments on coaching. It looks like you are both further down the road than we are. Committee meeting this Wednesday so looking forward to bringing up the coaching question again. I wouldn't mind going for a qual myself, but I still enjoy running and I worry that getting involved with coaching would reduce the amount of time I spend on it.

Did 15 miles on Thursday evening with my wife. Met her outside work just after 4pm and we managed to get the first hour's running in daylight. We had to stick to built up areas because of the dark, but it wasn't too bad, a bit boring! We did it at 11' 24" pace so just wondering if this would allow me to get around the Paris marathon in sub 4 hour time? My wife is looking to get under 4 1/2 hours.I have been following the  pacing debate over long runs and wondering it its a bit slow for sub 4?

We did the final xcountry of the season on Sunday morning at Delapre Abbey, a local run to finish with. It was great, a proper xcountry run, thick, deep, clinging mud, even with spikes I managed to fall over. Six minutes slower than the previous year!

Well done everyone on the longer runs and races. Looks like everyone is doing better than me! Take care.

04/02/2013 at 13:04
I find it hard even @ 9:10. That's why I'm currently more convinced by 9:30mm. But perhaps later in training I might speed up a bit...
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.