sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

63,721 to 63,740 of 67,530 messages
03/02/2013 at 19:42
My god FRC that's some long run for Mara training .. Are you intent on making me the slackest person on thread ..oh no I do that ALL on my own

Great run Ickle and Martin and everyone who ran.

I did Watford half and decided to try and run with Lucy, some of you met in Newcastle, so ended up doing it in 1.57 which was pleased with as have not broken two hours in Watford for three years and we powered in the last three miles, negative split. Saw Mick n Phil early on up one of the hardest hills , and Sian ad a chat with him apparently it's his first half back post an op ... So when I hit the next hills just thought of Mick behind me pushing that wheelchair. Inspirational
03/02/2013 at 19:43
Heard them say as he came over the line with the wheelchair it was his 365 th half marathon. Respect
03/02/2013 at 19:57

Marathon pace runs (e.g. 7-10 miles @ MP as a single run or 5 miles @ MP at the end of a long run) are great for building confidence. 

9:09 is usually about 9:05 "as shown on garmin". Ickle your 10k and HM times are fine for a sub-4 if all is well.But it must be so frustrating having the injury problems you have had.

If people do their whole runs at MP then that suggests they are underestimating what their MP is.

03/02/2013 at 19:57

Wow, well done Susan. Aren't we great!?!

03/02/2013 at 20:49
You are !
Well done Susan. Nicely done. and your friend with the wheelchair. Wow.

Oh and I won't run much the next 7 days, upto 2 weeks so that's my less is more bit. 5-10 miles maybe. This week is most I've run ever in 7 days so rest needed!

Ikle, backing up what Fido says, you don't need to force that long run pace... You could just end up knackered or injured.

For me.. "training" pace in long runs over say 14 miles is 45-90 seconds slower than your target so 9:45-10:15+ is fine for you... That's the way I always do it. I did 9:15-30 last year for first 20 miler when going for sub 3:30 (which is 8 min miles).

Then gradually get tighter on that range nearer the race but never big chunks, or the whole run. Most I would do is 1-5 miles at end and only if I felt up to it. Even the last mile at MP is enough. Just doing 20 miles is tough enough.

Can do the 9:00 ish pace on your midweek medium run. Any speed work much faster 7-8 min mile pace.
Once you taper, you'll get more endurance than normal and fingers crossed get that time.
03/02/2013 at 21:03
Hanks FRC. In my training programme it says to do MP at the end of some runs. Only for a very few miles. I just wasn't sure what it would be since I haven't quite decided what my marathon pace ought to be!
03/02/2013 at 21:11
Exactly. You dont know what it is yet.

10k gives you a bit of info - just have to get the endurance now. Do the paces slower as suggested and you have lots of wiggle room for 3:55-4:20. No need to do MP at the end religiously. If you feel fresh, then yep. If not, still a great long run.

If you're doing a half nearer the time, that may give you an idea what to go for realistically - and if your body can cope with it.
03/02/2013 at 21:57
Interesting spin on "less is more" FRC.
03/02/2013 at 22:17

Alexander - glad my rudeness didn't put you off. I am too bossy.

With my long run progressions, that's exactly what they are - progressions. So 16 (ok, so it went wrong and ended up being 17.5), 18, 20, 15 (to have an easy week after three weeks building up), then 20, 15, 20 (4 wks out), 17/18 (3 weeks out - ie still quite long cos three weeks out so last long run), then 13, 6, race.That was the thinking anyway.

Ikle - I'm going for 9.05. In past maras I've gone for 9.00, but that ends up being 8.50-8.55 which all of a sudden is 10-14 secs/mile too fast. Recipe for disaster (well, has been a few times). So I'm aiming to stick to 9.05.  I was thinking 9.05 to stay just on the right side of 9.09 and to allow for the extra distance that we always end up running in a marathon. Interesting, then to see Fido's comment about 9.09 being "9.05 as shown on Garmin."

03/02/2013 at 22:18

Have just had a row with my poor daughter.

04/02/2013 at 07:21
What was the row about ? 9.09 vs 9.05 ?
Completely understand the progressions now ... Just far too many miles for me.
Slack by name slack by nature
04/02/2013 at 12:32

Thanks Dave and Hen for your comments on coaching. It looks like you are both further down the road than we are. Committee meeting this Wednesday so looking forward to bringing up the coaching question again. I wouldn't mind going for a qual myself, but I still enjoy running and I worry that getting involved with coaching would reduce the amount of time I spend on it.

Did 15 miles on Thursday evening with my wife. Met her outside work just after 4pm and we managed to get the first hour's running in daylight. We had to stick to built up areas because of the dark, but it wasn't too bad, a bit boring! We did it at 11' 24" pace so just wondering if this would allow me to get around the Paris marathon in sub 4 hour time? My wife is looking to get under 4 1/2 hours.I have been following the  pacing debate over long runs and wondering it its a bit slow for sub 4?

We did the final xcountry of the season on Sunday morning at Delapre Abbey, a local run to finish with. It was great, a proper xcountry run, thick, deep, clinging mud, even with spikes I managed to fall over. Six minutes slower than the previous year!

Well done everyone on the longer runs and races. Looks like everyone is doing better than me! Take care.

04/02/2013 at 13:04
I find it hard even @ 9:10. That's why I'm currently more convinced by 9:30mm. But perhaps later in training I might speed up a bit...
04/02/2013 at 13:30
Are you talking about the LSR Ickle ? 9.30 with some miles at MP is surely the way forward but check with FRC and AH they are better placed to advise ..
04/02/2013 at 13:32
Another TOTP ... AM ON FIRE WITH THEM, oops shouting by mistake. Legs feeling pretty good after attacking those hills at Watford. Pilates was hard work but a good stretch.. Howard next week I have to work Monday but will go to the Friday class if you are around. She is a bit more hippy dippy but also very nice.
04/02/2013 at 14:25

Aiming for sub-4 in London & my LSR's tend to average around 9:50. Always feels very easy at the start of a 15+ miler but I know it'll be hard at some point!. Also should be finishing the run feeling tired but not finished. I like to see quite even mile splits meaning I've got it about right, rather than slowing/struggling for the last few miles.

Just started adding some marathon paced midweek long runs in, which i'm doing around 8:50-9:10 for the last part of it.

FRC - Glad my marathon plan doesn't have a 45miler in it

04/02/2013 at 14:36

Ikle at the mo I wouldn't worry about long run pace. Just do the miles even at ?MP+90secs.  In a month you can start thinking about actually running some of some LSRs at MP.  FWIW I'm doing them at about 10.15mm on average.

04/02/2013 at 14:38

Look what I just found!    5 min video of our swim yesterday. Well, a bit of the flavour of it.  Not great quality but you get the gist. See if you can spot me (clue: pirate hat on top of gimp hat I was testing for 220 Triathlon mag).

04/02/2013 at 17:41

I went out for a 16 mile run yesterday, with the last 10 miles at planned marathon pace, i.e. give or take 9min/miles. I covered those 10 miles in 1:29:20, so pretty much on target, although the pacing was a little up and down; a couple of miles at 8:45ish, one at 9:20, the rest nearer the planned pace. but then i was running along the pavements dodging people and obstacles, so i'm pretty happy with it. felt hard for the last 2-3 miles, but comfortably hard, if that makes sense. i reckon i could've sustained the pace for another couple of miles max, but not much more. i guess that's what the next 12 weeks of training will develop.

04/02/2013 at 19:31

This Friday (8th) or next Susan?

So I missed pilates this morning because I had to wait for a locksmith.....

Yesterday Rosa was coming back from France where she had spent a few days with her boyfreind whose third year at Uni is spent studying in Lyon. Rosa was passing through London on her way back to Sheffield for the start of her second semester of her final year. S 0 we agreed to meet her at Kings Cross and take her  to Nandos. We we got up o leave we discovered Rosa's back was gone - stolen. In it were her bank card, driving licence, camera, clothes and two sets of keys (including our house keys). Her driving licence contains her home address so immediately we saw a security issue. We decided to risk it overnight but called in a locksmith first thing this morning. He was very quick but it was too late by then to get up to North London .

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.