sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

63,741 to 63,760 of 67,967 messages
04/02/2013 at 19:35

Being meaning to tell you all - Sarah and I started Ballroom/Latin Dancing lessons 4 weeks ago. The Jive is quite aerobic excercise!

04/02/2013 at 19:39

Sorry to hear that Howard about the steals. Hmph. Hope you can jive it off...

04/02/2013 at 20:20

It only takes one day's rest before you start worrying about having to run again and not wanting to! Finally (almost) got my fundraising sorted for the marathon, and there's hardly any time left! I was planning to be fundraising for one year not one month!! Heave ho...

04/02/2013 at 21:31
What a pain in the proverbial Howard. I mean next Friday 15 th .. Will confirm next week that I can def go.

I agree kingkenny got to get back from LSR tired but not spent / done in / can run no further .
04/02/2013 at 21:55

How rotten HRR. 

04/02/2013 at 22:07

Marathon Training Pacing - LSR

Everyone is different but generally LSR should be run at a comfortable pace i.e. easy enough to hold a conversation - unless you're on your own 'cos that looks strange...

So, anyone looking at 9min/mile pace should be looking at completing a LSR at approx. 30 - 45 secs slower than PMP (projected marathon pace). It is a good idea in the latter stages of training to throw in a few miles (3 - 6miles) at PMP to get used to how it feels.

You will feel tired (esp. after 18+ miles) but not totally shot, leave that for post Marathon itself.

In my experience I have trained to what my body is telling me and even completed LSR at a far quicker pace than perhaps I should (c. 30 secs faster than PMP at times) but I've always made sure I recover well afterwards.

There...

Open to discussion...

Ikle/Susan/anyone - Wednesday?

04/02/2013 at 22:17
What Dave says .. He is a legend I have heard ...Wednesday ? This week ? Where? Not sure if I can ...

Where is the monkey man ?
04/02/2013 at 22:34

Where is it again D the F? I have to fit in a hilly 7 miler somehow beforehand...

05/02/2013 at 09:07

Morning all

Agree with you Dave but would add conditions. On Sundays LSR first 10 miles involved  a strong headwind and a couple of nice hills. There was a time when I would have pushed like crazy to run at the pace I wanted. Sunday stopped looking at my watch listened to the effort rate and checked when I turned for home. At half way I was 2 mins behind target but finished 2 mins inside feeling OKish!

IKLE- You seem to have a big step forward (Brighton ?) keep it going but dont push to hard its still a long way off

05/02/2013 at 10:27

Actually it's often better to run naked (no watch/garmin etc) and not worry about LSR pace - just remain comfortable. Running into a headwind for 10 miles will certainly have an adverse effect on your planned pace!

05/02/2013 at 12:40

hi all

ikle and frc oh and susan too, well done on races!

I also had a good race saturday, 4.88 in 39.48, very very good for me, feeling good at the moment!

my lsr is slow, say 10mm, but like others said its a bit dependant on how I feel too! I must admit at the end of 13 last weds evening I was a bit more than tired but ran friday night and sat race well so no harm done!

Tom, its quite nice getting thelong runs out of teh way in theweek eh?

AG Hi! your LSR sounds really good

Howard what a night mare for your daughter and you, dancing sounds nice though!

right hen, lets watch your vid, you are looking super fit btw!

05/02/2013 at 12:40

oh dear dtf I did a double take on your post above then!

05/02/2013 at 12:44

wow! Hen you lot are something else, I would have stayed with MOnty!

05/02/2013 at 16:37

DtF, Shame I missed you on the line at Henley.

Wabo, AH looks superfit because she is superfit

DtF pretty much in agreeement with your LSR comment, same as both Fido and I on previous page, a wider pace range is fine though so 9:15-10:30, especially for the men amongst us.. we often go too fast, don't have enough endurance then crash out... or so the theory goes. Ladies? Women are of course far better distance runners because they don't do this..

The bit I don't agree with for Tom Ikle and other sub 4 hopefuls is going way faster than marathon pace on long runs.. no point? Runners will be dipping into their anerobic rather than aerobic side... which is the whole point of the long run right now early in training. Further into training, can get tighter on that range to 9:30 ish.

Faster than marathon pace on your medium mid week run...( so for sub 4 I'd be going 8ish min mile or under). And if you can do the LSR much faster and not knackered after, then maybe you could go faster so your MP is faster. I like my long runs to feel really easy, run well inside myself.. not breathing hard at all, chatting to friends. Its usually on trail so naturally slower. Not tempted to "race" or force it.

05/02/2013 at 16:38

TOTP ! ...

05/02/2013 at 18:01
Dave the Flower wrote (see)

In my experience I have trained to what my body is telling me and even completed LSR at a far quicker pace than perhaps I should (c. 30 secs faster than PMP at times) but I've always made sure I recover well afterwards.

FRC - yes... this bit is certainly not recommended for many people! And only goes to show how rubbish I am at pacing! When I was training for Chester last year one of my LSR was run at 3:35 pace - 8:12min miles (but then it was only 15 miles ) The others were all run at around 9:05 - 9:10 min miles (PMP + 30 secs) to achieve 3:46

05/02/2013 at 18:31
What a lot of stats
05/02/2013 at 21:14

Stat-mad me... 

05/02/2013 at 21:49

Susan, can't make the 15th - going up to Yorkshire that day - sorry.

05/02/2013 at 21:59
Report from track session.

We ran round and round .. Some more rounds some little short half rounds.
The wind was windy.

Stopped
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.