sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

63,861 to 63,880 of 67,684 messages
12/02/2013 at 14:44

Aw bless - have you all  missed me  I have been on an"internet break" after Christmas as i was just spending too much time on FB, reading stuff here, there and everywhere - not great when I am supposed to be working from home either! Work is also just horrible, in middle of a very nasty case, hard to justify why I do what I do when innocent people's lives have been destroyed

Running wise, I think I'm just plodding along, nothing massive to aim for. Have Grindleford and Skyline planned and maybe nothing until the Bullock after that, who knows? I am still going to track and pretending to enjoy running fast round and round in a circle, and I've loved the snow on the hills Madam WT is doing wonderfully at sport, fastest in her year and got through various stages of Cross Country school championship until she chose playing a football match over the final  Master WT is coming to track next week with me, hope he likes it. I've also joined this Cross Fit gym, it's slightly scary and I spend the week aching in every bone I have and behaving like a disabled person but they assure me it will make me stronger and faster.......

Feels weird  not training for a marathon though!

Edited: 12/02/2013 at 14:45
12/02/2013 at 18:26
Club run tonight, I say club in the loosest sense of the word, there will be 4 of us if we are lucky!
Probably a 7 mile plod......
12/02/2013 at 22:37
Welcome WT

Ended up at doc, no real clue re sore ribs / chest ... Weird. She did all sorts of tests, reckons its muscular .. ( how?) and said best not to go to track tonight ( well pleased with that as its too cold for me ) and I went twice sat week. Gave me some strong painkillers. Very teeny tiny chance could be related to shingles but hoping thats not likely.

Wabo will meet up Sat for sure, my mate Sian more likely to be last up that hill ! Lets start together and see what happens. I won't be really speedy, still have no spikes !
12/02/2013 at 22:39
Oh and my half at Watford the other day .. Negative spilt... Heh heh, through half way bang on 1 hour pretty much, hit 10 miles at 90 mins, finish 1.57 nice little speed up to finish
12/02/2013 at 22:50

Yeh - what FRC says is all true... 

In fact I've never "tapered" for a half, may have eased off the week before. My own Half training (March 17th I think) is a bit sporadic really, so don't know how I'll be by then. There is one other guy from the club doing it so at least I'll have some company (for the first mile at least)

Know what? If I'd kept going on Saturday after my 5k and kept at the same speed I would have done a Half in 1hr35 - and that, Ikle, is a true story too 

12/02/2013 at 23:43
I am sure I can crack 1h 45, tonights club effort was a steady 6.5 miles.. only 3 of us turned up, so not very exciting!
13/02/2013 at 07:46

Whether you taper for a half depends on whether it's an A race or not.  If it's part of your marathon training and it's a long run, no taper, no recovery. If it's part of your marathon training but you want to use it to see how you're doing/have a hardish run without doing lots of miles, perhaps don't do any hard sessions for two or three days before, and same after. You have to balance the benefit from a hard half with the amount of hard training you'll miss while you recover.

If it's a stand alone half and you're not marathon training, def worth tapering for a week or 10 days and def have a couple of very easy weeks after.

13/02/2013 at 08:02

It's tricky, WT, when your children are multi-talented.  They obv take after their mother.

Susan - god I hope it's not shingles... poor you. That would explain the not feeling quite right thing, never mind the weird (Ikle ) rib thing.

13/02/2013 at 09:29

Morning all

WT,lovely to see you!

Susan, oh I so hope it isnt anything likeshingles.  Did it hurt if you took in a deep breath?  I have had a muscular thing like that once on the left sort of side and thought i was having a heart attack! But it was a muscle deep inteh shoulder or chest and hurt bad. One problem with Saturday is that clubs have there own pens so we must touch base at the start and suss  out where we are so we can do it.  I have ordered spikes, not used them for years but I just slip slide everywhere in my trail shoes!

negative split is always good susan!

I havent really tapered for a half either but most of mine were probably part of marathon training too

Had such a good run at the club last night,on my tempo bit I caught up with and overtook much faster runners than me, I am really loving therunning right now!

13/02/2013 at 14:48

Re: taper/recovery - what the Hen says!

13/02/2013 at 15:15

Would have thought spikes were essential for SAturday. Having said that, if I were doing it, I wouldn't be wearing them. I'd just put up with sliding around  - better than having a big fat swollen knee!

Someone asked whether I'd gone sub 4 before. No not for the want of trying though.  My PB is 4.00.15.

13/02/2013 at 15:23

Proud of myself.  Did my session on the dreadmill and it was HARD. 

1600m @ 7.21m/m, 400m jog recovery
3200m @ 7.31m/m, 800m jog recovery
2 x 800 @ 7.06m/m.

Because it was on the treadmill I took the target paces for the 3.50 FIRST programme - supposedly to counteract the help the treadmill gives you.  I managed the 1600m but was working way too hard so took the 3200 down to 7.35 m/m and the 800s were 7.15 pace.

Bloody hell. Anyway, it's done.  I was ok, just not used to working at that intensity and had to give my brain a good talking to.

I shall wreak my revenge by setting this as the session for my group at the club next week

13/02/2013 at 18:38
AH those STATS are just too hard for me to understand. Just as well as it would probably scare me ! ! brilliant news in the rib department slept like a dream and woke up 99.99% back to normal .. SOOOO weird ... Must have been a muscular thing .. Thank the good lord, just a longish run and a speed session missed, shame.

Wabo - last time I did parliament hill I kpt my sweatshirt on, being not a hard core runner and stood by my mate in another club but let's see. Def got your number and let's meet up before, look out for Queens Park Harrier flag.

AH - I have no spikes so not much choice and I am doing the half the next day but should be okay if I don't go crazy on either etc ? ?
13/02/2013 at 20:21

hello al

Glad your fixed Susan.

Lou- Nice session although I hate it convinced the treddie helps as controls your pace. Ive created my own hill session which is tough but each couple of weeks as it feels easier either increase the pace or the % a good benchmark ,

Its all been said but after last week I think its a simple as listen to your body the old rule is a day recovery for each mile you race so 13 days for a half marathon. That would have been true when I first started but not for anyone on this thread,

13/02/2013 at 23:02
AH it was me that asked. Your treadmill session sounds amazing! In France now and it's gorgeous. Paris in fact. Our hotel is on the only hill. Good for hill running. Early start tomorrow though.... Language classes for two whole days. Je t'aime le Francais... A bientot. And happy V day.
14/02/2013 at 06:20

Si seulement je pouvais parler français, il serait vraiment aider si jamais je me retrouve là-bas (ou en Belgique peut-être, certaines personnes le parlent là aussi!)

14/02/2013 at 07:02
Je comprend un peu.... Dave le Fleur tu est tres intelligent..
14/02/2013 at 07:53

14/02/2013 at 08:01
Get back to handing out the roses Monsieur le Fleur ... And where are mine ?????
14/02/2013 at 11:47

what do you think a realistic 10k time is, as a predictor of a sub4 marathon?

I've heard a few people say that the mcmillan calculator is a little optmiistic, suggesting that a 10k time of ~51mins is roughly indicative of a sub4 mararthon (it also suggests a 1:51 half is predictive of a sub4 mara). I'd tend to agree that this is a little optmistic for most people. Perhaps the mcmillan calculator is more accurate for faster runners but i'd guess that someone who can't break 50mins for 10k or 1:50 for a half will find it a struggle to come in under 4hours for a marathon.

What are your thoughts? For those of you chasing your first sub4 marathon, what cues are you looking at from your training to indicate you're in the right shape to start off at 9:09 pace on race day?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.