sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

63,921 to 63,940 of 66,878 messages
15/02/2013 at 18:22

should you not just REST FRC ??  novel concept  I know

dont think we are racing each other are we Wabo - we are women .. its different.

15/02/2013 at 18:23

there she goes again .. TOTP.... its happening all the time! 

15/02/2013 at 19:09
Artful hen/ frc... Thanks for the welcome, yes first marathon and really looking forward to it. Training going well and so far to plan and will continue with that and as you say just enjoy it! No matter what if I finish it will be a pb!
15/02/2013 at 20:11

AH is very sensible. 9/10 people get something or other wrong in their first marathon, just because it's such a long way and so the opportunity for **ckups is so big! So best to treat this as the pilot show and then recast for the full series!

My 10k/hm bests are 51:25 and 1:53:20 but I did squeak under 4h once. But I don't go full blast very often so that may not mean much. What gave me most confidence was the marathon pace runs and long runs with marathon pace sections at the end. At the height of marathon training, being able to do 10 miles 9:02-9:05 pace, or do the last 5-10 miles of a 20 miler run at MP was what gave me the feeling I might be able to scrape sub-4 if absolutely everything was right on the day. (Pace ignores time spent leaping into the shrubbery! )

Had a massage today and then a big bag of chips. Hmmm Well wouldn't want to peak too soon!!! Have run 1(!) mile this week but feeling a bit more human today.

A good strategy for a first marathon is to do the first 16-20 miles at long run pace and then get a bit brisker, as that almost guarantees a strong confident finish, trundling past all the poor sods who went off too fast and then got that oh.God.i.feel.all.gone.and.I.Have.seven.more.miles.to.run.feeling. Like.this.I.just.want.to.stop.NOW feeling.

15/02/2013 at 22:52
Just what Fido says .. So true
15/02/2013 at 23:00
Mm yes good advice re long runs Fido. I just ran 8 hilly miles in Paris, dontcha know. Legs killing. Vin rouge consumed.
16/02/2013 at 09:19
Tres Bon
16/02/2013 at 09:56

FRC thank you for your advice on not running my 20 mile race as a race. As if.

16/02/2013 at 09:57

So Ikle  is your Paris w/e just a full immersion learn as much French as you can in a weekend sort of thing? How fabulous!

16/02/2013 at 09:59

Fido - have lost track. ARe you off to South Africa again this year?  I know our very own Martin is.

My exercise today is limited to a trip to Winchester to buy my husband some proper glasses. He's gone beyond the cheapo ones off the internet or from Sainsburys sort.

16/02/2013 at 10:16
Hi folks, I hope eveyone is well, apart from the obvious aching legs.....which brings me to question of the day, is a foam roller worth investing in? There was a physio on marsthon talk this week highly recomending them.....
16/02/2013 at 10:36
Scott if you do then get The Grid. It's orange. And never wears out (especially if you don't use it) yes AH I'm here for one week. Two days language learning then a weekend of sightseeing then two days in a primary school. Funded by the British Council.
16/02/2013 at 12:53
Ha, Ok AH. I go into race mode very easily but maybe just me. You feel good and suddenly bit faster?. Those paces you did on treadmill are spot on to cope with surges. .. 5k about 23:30 mins, be interesting if you do one soon. Enjoy the 30m training run.

Ikle there are free tours in Paris you just pay tips.. Say 10-20 Euros for 3 hours. Also good for working out a run route later. Markets are on Fridays I think in 2 places. Fab!

Fido. Spot on with the. Oh.God. how can I go on. Legs.dead feeling.

Susan have rested last 2 days, and fair bit last 2 weeks.. circuit is perfect for maintaining & develop fitness so don't lose much running. Wearing hrm gives a training effect of 3-4 which is ideal. Slightly harder afterburn circuit 4-4.5 (for those with newer Garmins). So as good as a hard interval session but much less impact.

Good luck those running or doing events.
16/02/2013 at 15:11

Luckily I never have any problem sticking to a training pace.  Controversy alert - I think it's mainly men that get the red mist and forget all their plans to start/run easy.

Just seen a pic on FB of Susan at Parliament Hill. In the mud. Big time! Looks like she was taking it steady (was steep down hill with ankle deep mud).

16/02/2013 at 15:30
AH- think your right about men getting the red mist, I certainly do! My run on thur was meant to be 7 miles of 8.30-8.45 min miles, got carried away as I wasvin the mood and finished with miles of 7.33 and 7.38. Stupid for me as I felt it on Friday and still feel it today. I'm an idiot especially when I know I've got 18 miles to do tomorrow and my legs are still hurting today.
16/02/2013 at 18:30
Susan have rested last 2 days, and fair bit last 2 weeks.. circuit is perfect for maintaining & develop fitness so don't lose much running. Wearing hrm gives a training effect of 3-4 which is ideal. Slightly harder afterburn circuit 4-4.5 (for those with newer Garmins). So as good as a hard interval session but much less impact.

FRC - not being funny FRC but this may as well be in French ... Ha ha .. Tanks for the explanation but nothing much between my ears ....

As AH said, oh my the mud. No racing for me, thought I would stay with Sian , met Wabo in the loo queue by coincidence, did the first big steep hill with Sian , no spikes .. Sadness, hilarious, got to top and thought will run on a bit .. Then saw Wabo, ran with her a while ad a little chat between hills and quagmires and bog .. Was not sure she wanted to keep chatting so drifted a bit then looked to see where she was, was mainly looking t the ground trying to avoid A) falling over B) losing trainer or C) breaking ankle ! Tried to enjoy the madness , had a few jokes with the stewards then saw an old Serpie lady who used to be quite unfriendly so I thought I will have her ... We did a bit of cat and mouse, she had spikes so on some muddier hills she went past, I kept remind g myself I was not racing but ended up ahead of her despite the really steep impossible downhill at the end. Am very tired now. 5 am alarm to get down to Brighton for half... Will def be a LONG SLOW RUN

WABO LOOKS AMAZING .. NEW SLIMLINE racing snake ! ! ! Really looking nifty x
16/02/2013 at 20:42
I ran 14 today on tired legs still knackered from yesterday's hills. Really hating running at the mo. Having to do it while everyone else is out eating French food. Feels like a blinking Job. Moop. Going to un musee tomorrow and La tour Eiffel in the afternoon.
16/02/2013 at 20:46
My legs ache as though I've done a Mara. Managed to do miles 11 and 12 @ mp, but too tricky navigating all the people in Paris on a Saturday night. Plus my legs hurt. Plus I didn't want to. Not looking good! On plus side watching French version of The Voice in bed eating chocolate !
16/02/2013 at 22:10

Scott - yes. Mine is a bog standard blue one.

AH - yes

Susan - what am?

16/02/2013 at 23:06
?? Fido
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.