sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

64,001 to 64,020 of 67,686 messages
22/02/2013 at 16:10

Good run Susan, and Happy Birthday to Gordon too.

Tough runs gotta be done. They'll feel easier in the next month or so.

22/02/2013 at 17:09

17.50 miles yesterday 10+ min mile pace. 

Susan is my running Guru I do not post much but do lurk

Half Marathon last Sunday took me 2hrs 5 mins slower than same race last year! Still won £25 

22/02/2013 at 18:05

FRC, I didn't miss my TO, but I'm getting very suave and sophisticated now,; so much so that I don't always even have to mention them! But I do think them.

22/02/2013 at 18:09

I feel entirely smashed now and have slept for two hours. TGR is having issue with my fuelling. He says, and I quote that 'a sports jelly bean every now and then won't do it'. Thoughts? I can't bear the thought of gels because of the texture, and there is never an issue with water in an actual race (I didn't take on any water during either because I hate carrying a bottle) because there's so many stops. In training I usually just drink a lot before hand, perhaps pop home during for a quick drink or get a helpful brother or boyfriend to carry one for me.

I haven't got very long to practise... Surely beans are ok if I took more? I don't like the idea of gels at all. Yes, no, alright, I haven't tried them. In other news my left buttock really hurts and I did it in 2 hours 52 minutes. Thank you.

22/02/2013 at 18:33
LO 65 I love you

FRC my running weeks start on Mondays so that does not work, sorry.

Ickle you must practise with some thing you nutter ! With some gels or lucozade you will def go sub 4 !
Still time to practise ...
22/02/2013 at 18:34

That's a fair old lick for 18 Ikle! No wonder you feel smashed!

If you like jelly beans, have them - as long as you have enough.  But would be worth seeing if you feel better if you have more than you had today.  I'm a jelly baby girl myself. You're right that during the race you won't have to carry a bottle, but you prob ought to try to drink more while you're training, even if you don't like carrying a bottle. Have you got a camelbak?

Ideally you want to avoid completely emptying your system of food/water on training runs beause it just means you're more knackered than you need to be and are therefore less likely to recover and train well the following week. Also, 18 miles is where the wall is for most people.  You might have survived today but what about that next 8.2?  It's not just crowds and determination that takes you through - it's fuel. So you need to be as well stocked as you can with jelly beans or whatever by the time you get to 18. 

22/02/2013 at 18:36

Oh yes, happy birthday to Gordon xx

Am feeling really frustrated on behalf of two out of my three charities because one of them isn't sending in the right forms to Virgin Money Giving.  I haven't raised a BEAN yet.

22/02/2013 at 18:39

My long run is complicated tomorrow. I'm taking C to a thing in Cambridge for the day. So up early, drop C at thing, drive to Park and Ride (parking in Cambridge is £25, yes £25 for 5 - 24 hours), bus to nice meadow to start out and back run along the Cam, then what? Back on bus to car  to get changed into clean clothes in the car, then back on the bus into town to collect C at 3.30? Drive home.

22/02/2013 at 18:44

Ikle - we're not friends... (on FB) - who are you again? Smasing LSR though (I presume...)

I won't bore you with my amazing tempo club run last night but it was interesting in that I was running alongside a new club member who had done a Half Marathon last weekend. I politely asked her how it went and she "pretty well actually... I won it" No runner I've ever known has ever said that to me... No wonder after 3 miles she got bored of my company and ran off with Frank (one of the club's fast boys)... Phah! 

Martin - you always make snese, I've gottne usde to it over the yers... 

Susan - Happy Birthday to the old man... doing anything nice? The odd HM or Baileys Marathon?

22/02/2013 at 18:50
I'm called Cathy Bunt. Shhhh don't tell anyone! Brilliant advice as always AH. Thanks. I think I'll get a camel pack thingy for training. Excuse the over communicating, everyone. But writing on here is what's getting me through the training at the mo. So sorry and thanks.
22/02/2013 at 18:51

Good luck tomorrow Martin. You might have snow... It's going to be brassic everywhere

22/02/2013 at 19:02

you come here to chat Ickle - we all do .. there is plenty of advice given here..

how far are you running AH?  good luck with yours.. will think of you on mine

22/02/2013 at 19:02

good luck Martin - whatever madness you are up to

22/02/2013 at 19:28

Duly befriended Ikle... 

22/02/2013 at 19:29

Ikle - yes, as Susan says, that's what we all come on here for!  You can moan, whinge (she can whinge, right?) and complain as much as you want.

And tonight you can whinge knowing that you have done your LSR for this week whereas the rest of us have still to get it done . 15 for me tomorrow. Nice and flat, new part of the world next to a river. Can't find my running tights though. Think I'll need them for tomorrow. THey've gone into the same black hole as my favourite Sweaty Betty massage trousers that I could really do with for Lanza. #comfy for wearing with Skins underneath.

22/02/2013 at 23:01
Hi folks, not much to report, hope everyone is well.
12 miler today, reasonably happy. Can't wait for bath half next weekend....
23/02/2013 at 00:50
Just back from pub, orange juice and water consumed, I can do sober.

Right. Sleep next would be good.. Night x
23/02/2013 at 10:13

Just in case anyone feels the urge to sponsor me, and can't because it turns out I'm not being sponsored this time (feeding the homeless van thingy that my church is involved with just couldn't get their act together!), you could praps sponsor my friend Andrea instead, who did her teacher training at my school. Cheeky ask, but I said I would pop on the link, just in case. She is running for Shelter, which, oddly enough, is kind of the same thing!

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserProfilePage.action?userUrl=AndreaStylianou

23/02/2013 at 13:25

well there is a lesson in fuelling to confirm what I already know but its good to practise.

So I made sure I had not got time for lunch as rushing from St Albans to get to Theatre... had a rubbish supper as I was rushing from the Theatre to get to the pub for Gordon birthday - had a mini/quarter bowl of old pasta in fridge, four chips from someone else plate and two slices of birthday cake for supper - nice and nourishing! no alcohol and late to bed.  Of course ensuring no bananas for pre-run breakfast - my one and only breakfast of choice so had nothing for breakfast.

Blimey it was cold.  I ran 5 miles and it felt like 15 - luckily then met the girls on the corner and did 5 miles with them - nice disctraction - forgot about how I was feeling (oh had quick toilet stop before I met them!).  Ran 5 miles with them and was pleased to have got to ten ... a bit stop start as we wait at the end of laps for the slower ones, headed off up to park for final 7 - threw in the hideous hill at 13 miles for good measure - timed a few laps and was perfectly at 17 miles at my front door - motored up the hill in final mile.  2 hours 51 mins - with two toilet stops in the end.  Had two gels and lucozade.  Glad its done and next time will fuel better and get more sleep.  Dont feel too bad. enjoying sofa it has to be said.

23/02/2013 at 14:02

Wow well done, Susan. Sounds epic! And now it's done. Yay! =)

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.