sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

64,041 to 64,060 of 67,474 messages
23/02/2013 at 22:04
Go Ickle !

Do you think AH ran out in Cambridgeshire and got lost like that 18 year old Brit in Oz ... Should we send in search dogs ?
23/02/2013 at 22:14
Ikle maybe take out all the TOTP type comments to cut the word count down ?

Second suggestion cut all the Moops phhhhsttt and Glurks, and any other sound effects.

AH where are you ? 60 quid on the parking and counting.

20ish miles for me tomorrow, roughly MP+60s. Sleeps. Up at 6 for light breakie , out at 8. I always carry a water bottle by the way.
Edited: 23/02/2013 at 22:14
24/02/2013 at 10:00

My nine is with 7 at MP.

FRC, without those things I would be nothing. You know it.

24/02/2013 at 15:18
AH fine and swimming? Brrr. Iron lady.

20 miler all fine for me, spot on timing aim, MP + 60s approx, 2hrs 48-49.
Less fuelling than normal, 3 cubes of blok shots, packet of dried fruit and 1-1.5 litres of water, made it feel a bit tougher.

Where the (Glurk?) is Ikle? Bet it's great essay.
24/02/2013 at 17:00

Hello all. Wow - you can tell everyone's marathoning on here! 18 miles here, 20 miles there, even a 40!  Thought that was a typo until I realised it was Martin

Yesterday's run was good - felt knackered the whole way, but there you go.  In the end I parked in the expensive concrete multistorey which was perfectly positioned. Ran along the Cam with the rowers and their coaches. Then had to change also in the car park, hunkered down in my car seat, hoping no one came past to get flashed. God it was cold by then. Then parked on the side of the road somewhere else (50p/10 mins) while I shambled round Cambridge, tourist dodging, trying to find somewhere for lunch that didn't have queues outside the door. Everyone wanted to be inside. It was SO cold.

Then went straight out for a post-rugby curry with AR, then this am straight down to the sea. If you've been on FB you'll see how cold it was.  I only lasted 12 mins. When I left home it was still snowing - and it was lying - about 1cm thick. But tis done. So today was my rest day .

24/02/2013 at 19:13

Well done AH.

I love getting changed outdoors. The surf man always laughs at me because I insist on getting changed outside in a towel in all weathers. It seems the only way to do it on a beach. Getting changed in the car I find problematic as I keep getting stuck putting jeans on. Felt the need to share that with you all. Yes. 

Nine mile run done. Felt like plain sailing. Avec Basey on bike. 7 at MP

24/02/2013 at 19:42
Had a real rest day. Church, renounced the devil (not really the confirm ants did) a nice if freezing walk to restaurant, then ate delicious food. Stroll back to car. Drive home. Fuelling - borst for starters, roast chicken and delish veg. On sofa now.
24/02/2013 at 19:58

Sounds nice. Always good when sofas feature...

Finished Lit Review. Too long at 7000 words, but I was really fed up with it so sent it anyway! Hurrah, one job done, now on with the rest... Back to work. Glurk. (Ooops!)

24/02/2013 at 20:20
Okay Ikle. Nudie streak for you then. And 7000 moops and glurk words done.
I noticed there is a little computer tablet for children called a Meep! (With exclamation mark). Did wonder if you were involved...

Susan. Food all sounds lovely. Had the blandest bowl of pasta last night at restaurant. But only ??5 and no horse so...research next time.

Usually would rest after a 20 miler but day off tomorrow.
morning got a free PT session I won with uber gym coach who I have ribbed a bit in the past. He does 10-15 miles a week to run sub 3:15.. But blew up at Comrades on same mileage doing 9h45 and only just ahead of Fido. Hmmm. I predicted his last 10k time to within 1 second at Xmas.

Suspect it could be brutal ! Bring it on
Search parties if I don't post by 12 though...

Where is Umbongo ? And WT.
24/02/2013 at 21:40
grear running all and will add fido/wendy to that list. what a weekend. feels like the moment to confess 2014 target a lake in Milton Keynes x 4 QUADZILA. entered
24/02/2013 at 21:56
Have no idea what that means Martin, you could talking Latin but I am sure it translates to many many miles ...

Well done Fido
24/02/2013 at 22:01
4 marathons in 4 days susan so yes a lot of miles. but you do get to sleep between them! my other idea was a 100 miler so took the easy option in the end
24/02/2013 at 22:04

I wanted to get your thoughts on something sub-4 crew. I just did a half marathon in 1:54. According to the the running coach i spoke to and the mcmillan website too I should be on for a sub-4 marathon - JUST. Like 3:59:50 or something lol. What do you think? Is it possible?

Reason I ask is that I did my first 20 mile run yesterday. Now, it was snowing and freezing cold. I forced myself to stick to 10 min miles to ensure I completed it but the last two miles were epic hard. I can't even imagine doing that run at 9 min miles - but then race conditions are obviously totally different. If you asked me if I could do a 1:54 half marathon after one of my training runs I would have laughed at you but i've done it twice now.

By the way the main reason I'm asking is that I do want to do a sub-4. At the beginning of a marathon 9 min miles is going to feel very easy. However, I do know that if it is too fast for me I will die a horrible death in the later parts of the run. I've no way to know whether this is a do-able speed for me or not.

Any advice appreciated.

24/02/2013 at 22:43
I reckon TOTP?

Martin, you are a nutter. 4 in 4 days. Might as well just do a 100 miler...

Welcome Khanivore. Helps to know if you are male/ female, rough age & maybe a 10k time too? Was the half today a flat one or hilly?

1:52 is tight for half to a full sub 4 marathon. There are no set rules though, some have done it just on 1:52-54, others needed sub 1:50 and lower, depends on the course and also how good your endurance. Women in theory convert better than men.

We've been discussing long run pace a few pages back, as have other faster threads, sounds like you are spot on at the moment.. The first few 20s always feel really hard, and bear no relation to your final time, just building the legs and body for it first.

Don't worry about the time on your first one, best to enjoy it.
Edited: 24/02/2013 at 22:44
24/02/2013 at 22:54

Hi Cat, thanks for the welcome - I'm a 41 year old bloke who has been running since may. The first half marathon in November was pan flat. The second one was Brighton which had a gentle incline for a couple of miles but that was about it. I had an injury betweent he two so i wasn't expecing to do it in the same time as the first one.

I know i'm meant to just enjoy the first one. I had actually decided to do that. However, today someone once again told me they thought i had a sub 4 in me and it got the fire lit again. I haven't run any 10k's at all recently.

I have another half marathon next weekend. I was going to run it at 9 min/mile and see how I feel at the end. Maybe that will be a good indicator.

25/02/2013 at 07:50
khanivore first welcome.
I agree with FRC currently I think its a tough one for you. in fact you remind me if me 5 years ago when I did my first. If I could have that first time again I would have just enjoyed it. Very few people complete a marathon if it takes over 4 hours
so what. If you decide to do more then go for a time. It took me 5 goes but got there

Either way stick around its a great thread you will loads of support just dont worry about some of the times people do training runs in
25/02/2013 at 07:59
frc you know how close I came but the the idea of 4 days with other nutters was the difference
25/02/2013 at 10:58

Quadzilla sounds brilliant, Martin.  Annoyingly appealing.

Khanivore - you sound very sorted with your attitude/paces/training. You're new to running so you never know, you might continue to improve up to and through the marathon and get the magic sub 4, but your HM time is prob a smidge on the wrong side of borderline. Having said that, my PB (4.00.15) was done off a HM PB of about 1.49 - can't remember.  Subsequent marathons with a better HM PB of 1.47 were slower.  Just keep training hard and enjoying it and you never know. 

25/02/2013 at 10:59

Oh, meant to say, my club mate Lou Damen only went and won the National XC champs again on Saturday!

25/02/2013 at 12:55
I'm excited about Silverstone half on Sunday. Looks like a big event!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.