sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

64,161 to 64,180 of 67,526 messages
04/03/2013 at 23:25
Some weird posts keep appearing on here about Buckminster half? Spamming going on?

Scott, nice time, that all important 1 sec!
Quinn , you are only a year older than me.

ACoop, great time also. I carry a hand water bottle on all long runs, even the marathon. Could never get used to a bottle on back, the bounce/ rub. ??4 Nike one from Sports Direct. Stick a ??1-2 in its pocket to buy from shop as you run.

Ikle, if any aches rest up. Easy running or light cross training if any attempt.. I find a massage helps me recover quickly. Foam roll and go for a walk if not?

Susan, how was the trip to parents?. Sure you understand really, ..stats. Numbers are important. Here is the article I mentioned, compares half to full marathon completion rates.

Simply - take your half time in minutes so 1:45 is 105, multiply that by 2.2 or 2.3 to get possible marathon time in mins. Higher number if it's your first.
Gives more accurate predictions than some of the famous online ones.
05/03/2013 at 07:16
Fit cat - thanks for that formula. Looks like I would have needed a 1:44 in hm to get a 4h first marathon. Damn. At 1:48 I feel like I might be close enough to at least give it a go without too much danger of completely falling apart at the end whereas when I was at 1:54 for the hm I thought I was so far away that even attempting a 4hr marathon would have been a bad idea. What do you think?
05/03/2013 at 07:51

Cannot do with holding a water bottle while running. I have a running belt that i brought when i used to do a bit of fell running. It can carry 2 bottles (Not a good idea as it weights a ton) and pockets for carrying a bit of food. It has a lot of padding and does not move about a lot (Still rubs soom times)

Ikle - 1 or 2 days rest or easy runs wont hurt you. Better to lose a couple of runs so you can be fully fit for the rest of your training.

Khanivore - Its only a formuls. I know some people who can seem to keep on running for ever and there marathon time is nearly just double there half time.

05/03/2013 at 08:26

Khanivore, I think if you put in the miles you have a good chance. And as long as you start conservatively. Worth a go, I reckon.

05/03/2013 at 09:04

Khanivore, definitely worth a go, you're pretty close. Which marathon is it again?

Its only a formula, gives a range of 1:44-1:49 which is about right, higher end with more experience, others here and friends have done sub 4 off 1:52 - but lots of marathons. Many end up with big positive splits on first marathon going off too fast. Friend had done 1:40 half, 3:55 marathon for example - very painful cramping up too. Think Scott did 1:48/ 3:58 approx, Scott?

Whether you manage to bring it all together on first marathon, get the endurance right, taper properly, who knows? Legs feel different after 20-25 miles. blog for my first if any help.. A few photos of water bottles also....

05/03/2013 at 13:06

see new peeps, what a lot of genuinely useful info you get here! They know their stuff they do

05/03/2013 at 16:05

Quinn true - people definitely react to distance in different ways. I shocked myself at the Silverstone half marathon. My heart rate was the same throughout. I honestly can't believe it didn't spike up like it normally does. You can see it in the splits at the bottom of my race report:

http://ninjakhan.co.uk/2013/03/05/silverstone-half-marathon-2013/

Fit cat - i'm doing Reading half in two weeks and then my big one is the London marathon a few weeks later. 

05/03/2013 at 17:18
My Camelbak has gone astray in the post. Moop.
05/03/2013 at 17:50
I'm doing a 4 mile run and a light weight pump this evening.
05/03/2013 at 21:47

Well done everyone on the good HM times and welcome Acoops and Quinn. 

I sometimes take money and buy drinks at newsagents. 

I reckon all the peeps getting within scratching distance of 1:50 should have a reasonable shout at 3:59:59 come the day. But try doing some long runs with a few miles at the end at 8:50-9:10 min/miles or thereabouts. If you can, it builds the confidence to do the sensible thing which is negative splits. 

Sounds odd but it is easier to do 20@9:15 + 6.2@8:51 than it is to do that the other way around - you haven't tired yourself out by going too hard and you only have to push for a few miles, knowing that the end and a nice sitdown is pretty close!

05/03/2013 at 21:53

fido, that was my next shout, I do that re money and just pop in and buy some. good advice there fido about pacing, its exactly how I somehow managed my half well on sunday, my last mile was my fastest and I cnnot quite believe that! It was also my 16th mile

05/03/2013 at 21:54
Fido2dogs can you recommend paces for this weekends 20 mile run and at what point I should speed up?
05/03/2013 at 22:01
Club (well, both of us) run tonight, steady 7 miles, legs felt tight to start with, but soon loosened up. Feeling quite fresh really!
05/03/2013 at 22:22
Just been reading the race feed back from folks that did bath hslf, sounds like quite a few folks had a distance of 13.24 miles on garmins, coincidentally, the same distance my garmin clocked..... hmm.
05/03/2013 at 22:57
Races are always over, aren't they? To make sure they're not under sort of thing. Silverstone was 13.35 on my watch...

Fido this seems like a very grand plan. Very psychologically appealing. I might try that on race day. But 6.2 miles won't feel very short at the time, I know that much!
05/03/2013 at 22:59
Scott courses legally can measure a little long. Think as much as 0.1m. Garmins aren't that accurate especially with any looped or curvy courses.

Khan great race report. Notice you did race a bit , went off fast first half and then slowed down per mile.
Be very careful doing half last weekend , 20 miles this and half after that. Really could tire yourself out for VLM.

Might be better to do 12ish this weekend drop back a bit and do the half with some mile before and after to make up the 18-20. And slow.

Fidos Comrades steady pace run inspired me.. Even or negative split is the best tactic by far.
06/03/2013 at 07:06
I'm sposed to be doing 20 this weekend then 20 then 22 (zoicks!) Then taper...

pump hard work last night though I did take it easy. And only 3 mile run..
06/03/2013 at 07:38
Ikle Less really is more.

20, 20, 22 consecutive weeks is way too much. Each will drain you and leave you progressively more tired.
You need 3 weeks taper too as well.
Ditch one of the 20s or drop it back to 12.
06/03/2013 at 07:51

Thanks for the all the ideas! I'm going to test out my camelbak again this weekend and see how I go, it usually has work clothes in it and no bladder.. things might change when I use it properly  

Slack Susuan - I'm in South London, though my long runs are stretching all over the place at the moment. I'm trying to keep them interesting, I don't take well to laps! 

Finding it hard to get back in to the training since Sunday, I have funny little aches all over the place. Cycling to work today and might fit in a little 5km over lunch, but will see how it feels.  

06/03/2013 at 08:00

Scott - Sounds like our running club with only 2 people.

Struggling to get proper runs in this week with my youngest doing a pantomime over the weekend (lots of dropping of and picking up). Managed to get out for a quick 5 miles last night (if you can call 41min quick).

Negative splits are definitely great if you can set of at the correct pace. 2011 Chester went through half way in 2:15 and finished in 4:24. Mentally it was great for the last 10 miles as i was just passing loads of people. I remember thinking that I never saw so many people walking in a marathon but then realised that i was normally one of them.

Hopefully get out a couple of times before the weekend and will probably have a run with the wife on sunday with extra tagged on at the end to get time on my feet.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.