sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

64,161 to 64,180 of 66,858 messages
04/03/2013 at 20:52

hi ACoops, or a lady shape bottle carrier on the front maybe?  I have done a long run with a camelbak like scott said, works fine for me.  Nice half time!!!

I do get scared when I see some of the distances people are doing - on training thread and my running club, sticking to the schedule though

04/03/2013 at 20:53

It was! I took three cups of tea to defrost after. Brrrrr.

I have a camel pack, but don't wear it running because I can never get it to sit flat on my back, I think it's a bit big? I bought a women's one, but I think I probably fit more in to the child category.. do they make childrens camelpacks for running? 

I live in London so drink depositing is out. The foxes would definitely drink them before I had the chance  

04/03/2013 at 20:59

Wabo - I've never heard of a lady shape bottle carrier.. I will google!  

Thanks, re. the time. I was so wonderfully pleased. I'm definitely not doing the same distances as most and I'm only (I say this relatively..) running between 40 to 50km in total for the week? This is my first marathon so I'm just following a schedule the best I can and will see what happens!   

04/03/2013 at 21:07

What do people think about mini recovery along with mini taper? I mean, obviously I'm not running today, but should I resume business as usual tomorrow do we think? I'm a bit nervous about going back to full on training... My left leg aches at the front and my toes on my right foot are a bit of a bloody mess (not swearing!) But apart from that I feel fine...

04/03/2013 at 21:41

Runningfeet - Blackminster half is a nice event - I've done it quite a few times. Flat, although a few undulations - the ones I remember are a bit of a drag at about 5 miles and then a particularly nasty incline right at the end of the 6 mile loopy-loop which always catches me out, and you get to do it twice.  Also it's over distance - you go straight past the last marker and think you've finished but there's still 100m or so to go. The thing that always amazes me is how fast the leaders are going - the speed us mere mortals run means we're bound to be lapped usually midway through the first 6 mile loopy...you here them it coming up behind you and then they zoom past at some speed.  www.d2ride.co.uk  ZolaP - Good going at Kidderminster.  Did you see Wiggins and Froome apparently they were in the crowd.  Half way round we thought you would cave in but you looked full of beans in the home straight.  Coolio.  www.d2ride.co.uk

04/03/2013 at 22:23
Hello all new peeps... Glad some of you can work out what FRC posts are about, been reading them for months but my eyes go blurry then I don't understand

ACoops ... I have had the chafing thing with bottle belt. If you let it heal my advice is make sure it's snug when fitted and your shirt does not ruck up under it, if it starts to feel like its rubbing take the time to stop and adjust. I carry Vaseline that you can smear on for good measure on the day. I am doing Brighton along with Ickle and AH from this thread .. Although they will be in front of me ... Am aiming for sub 4.30 unless the weather is good and I have a miracle day. Have gone sub 4 once but don't do the hundreds of miles and speed work but it will be my 12 th ! Where in London are you ?
04/03/2013 at 22:31
ACoops, can't youleave drinks at friends houses? For training runs, you should be ok without a drink for around an hour.....
04/03/2013 at 23:25
Some weird posts keep appearing on here about Buckminster half? Spamming going on?

Scott, nice time, that all important 1 sec!
Quinn , you are only a year older than me.

ACoop, great time also. I carry a hand water bottle on all long runs, even the marathon. Could never get used to a bottle on back, the bounce/ rub. ??4 Nike one from Sports Direct. Stick a ??1-2 in its pocket to buy from shop as you run.

Ikle, if any aches rest up. Easy running or light cross training if any attempt.. I find a massage helps me recover quickly. Foam roll and go for a walk if not?

Susan, how was the trip to parents?. Sure you understand really, ..stats. Numbers are important. Here is the article I mentioned, compares half to full marathon completion rates.

Simply - take your half time in minutes so 1:45 is 105, multiply that by 2.2 or 2.3 to get possible marathon time in mins. Higher number if it's your first.
Gives more accurate predictions than some of the famous online ones.
05/03/2013 at 07:16
Fit cat - thanks for that formula. Looks like I would have needed a 1:44 in hm to get a 4h first marathon. Damn. At 1:48 I feel like I might be close enough to at least give it a go without too much danger of completely falling apart at the end whereas when I was at 1:54 for the hm I thought I was so far away that even attempting a 4hr marathon would have been a bad idea. What do you think?
05/03/2013 at 07:51

Cannot do with holding a water bottle while running. I have a running belt that i brought when i used to do a bit of fell running. It can carry 2 bottles (Not a good idea as it weights a ton) and pockets for carrying a bit of food. It has a lot of padding and does not move about a lot (Still rubs soom times)

Ikle - 1 or 2 days rest or easy runs wont hurt you. Better to lose a couple of runs so you can be fully fit for the rest of your training.

Khanivore - Its only a formuls. I know some people who can seem to keep on running for ever and there marathon time is nearly just double there half time.

05/03/2013 at 08:26

Khanivore, I think if you put in the miles you have a good chance. And as long as you start conservatively. Worth a go, I reckon.

05/03/2013 at 09:04

Khanivore, definitely worth a go, you're pretty close. Which marathon is it again?

Its only a formula, gives a range of 1:44-1:49 which is about right, higher end with more experience, others here and friends have done sub 4 off 1:52 - but lots of marathons. Many end up with big positive splits on first marathon going off too fast. Friend had done 1:40 half, 3:55 marathon for example - very painful cramping up too. Think Scott did 1:48/ 3:58 approx, Scott?

Whether you manage to bring it all together on first marathon, get the endurance right, taper properly, who knows? Legs feel different after 20-25 miles. blog for my first if any help.. A few photos of water bottles also....

05/03/2013 at 13:06

see new peeps, what a lot of genuinely useful info you get here! They know their stuff they do

05/03/2013 at 16:05

Quinn true - people definitely react to distance in different ways. I shocked myself at the Silverstone half marathon. My heart rate was the same throughout. I honestly can't believe it didn't spike up like it normally does. You can see it in the splits at the bottom of my race report:

http://ninjakhan.co.uk/2013/03/05/silverstone-half-marathon-2013/

Fit cat - i'm doing Reading half in two weeks and then my big one is the London marathon a few weeks later. 

05/03/2013 at 17:18
My Camelbak has gone astray in the post. Moop.
05/03/2013 at 17:50
I'm doing a 4 mile run and a light weight pump this evening.
05/03/2013 at 21:47

Well done everyone on the good HM times and welcome Acoops and Quinn. 

I sometimes take money and buy drinks at newsagents. 

I reckon all the peeps getting within scratching distance of 1:50 should have a reasonable shout at 3:59:59 come the day. But try doing some long runs with a few miles at the end at 8:50-9:10 min/miles or thereabouts. If you can, it builds the confidence to do the sensible thing which is negative splits. 

Sounds odd but it is easier to do 20@9:15 + 6.2@8:51 than it is to do that the other way around - you haven't tired yourself out by going too hard and you only have to push for a few miles, knowing that the end and a nice sitdown is pretty close!

05/03/2013 at 21:53

fido, that was my next shout, I do that re money and just pop in and buy some. good advice there fido about pacing, its exactly how I somehow managed my half well on sunday, my last mile was my fastest and I cnnot quite believe that! It was also my 16th mile

05/03/2013 at 21:54
Fido2dogs can you recommend paces for this weekends 20 mile run and at what point I should speed up?
05/03/2013 at 22:01
Club (well, both of us) run tonight, steady 7 miles, legs felt tight to start with, but soon loosened up. Feeling quite fresh really!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.