sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

64,181 to 64,200 of 67,853 messages
06/03/2013 at 08:23

Yes, I did so much overtaking on Sunday. Def a good feeling...

06/03/2013 at 09:59

(Cough) Speedy Ikle.. Over taking.. You mean when you told us you weren't racing? Hmmm.

Also see post above. Brighton is April 14th - so last long run of 18-22 miles for most people (3 week taper) would be approx March 24th (a particularly fabulous date... ), even the week before is reasonable. 2 perfect long runs this weekend and fortnight later are much better than 3 average, ones that leave you drained.

Main aim now is to get to the start line in one piece - without hurty knees or other aches caused by too much mileage. You can still do 10-14 mile runs, medium long runs @ MP and speed work in the 3-4 weeks after.

06/03/2013 at 10:26

frc, I am glad you say that about less is more, my next two weeks are both 18 and then 20, last weekend was suuposed to be 18 as well.  I won't be g oing up to 22 according to my schedule, and I never have.  When I keep reading 22 for others I keep getting worried. Sticking to my schedule though.

06/03/2013 at 10:27

that should say 18 then 20 for next two weeks btw.

06/03/2013 at 12:02

Yes FRC right as always. I was not racing as much as I could have, that's the point. And I think I mis-read my plan anyway. Will follow your advice. Do not like speed runs either. Am glad that all my hill running is done. I did loads of that. Need to do 7 easy this evening. Just that. Easy.

06/03/2013 at 12:03

I think that the good thing about 22 is that is really is nearly 26.2. But I know, that's what's bad about it too. =)

06/03/2013 at 12:30

Wabo - My schedule has me running 18 this week, 20 next as well. No sign of a 22 and I'm pretty happy to keep it that way at the moment.

I haven't gone for my lunch time run, instead I am on here and eating soup. Maybe after my cycle home.. the shower at work is broken so I couldn't wash my hair if I went for a run. Good enough excuse?

I overtook quite a few people towards the end of Bath as well, made me feel like a champion.

Ikle - Impressed that you did loads of hill running. I haven't been so good following such instructions on my schedule. Hill run/ pace/ intervals have all been replaced with 'just run the distance on the sheet.'

06/03/2013 at 12:56

The hardest thing about doing the 20-22 mile runs is the time it takes to do your runs.

Will try to get 4/5 runs in of between 2:45 and 3:00 (maybe a little more if i can) before the marathon.

06/03/2013 at 13:51
There was a recent post on McMillan that just advocated time out running and on feet not specific distance. If someone is out for 4-5 really doesn't help them. 3-3:30 at most including breaks for loo & drinks maybe is plenty enough.

Also our english liking for getting to 20 miles plus is just because its a round number. Europeans work in km so quite happy with 30km which is only 18 miles.

Achilles still a bit sore but stretching and warm up seems to loosen fine. Last night w/u mile, then 3 m @ MP - 15s.. To arrive at running club then a great fartlek at top speed (5:25-5:55). 10 quality miles done. Heel all fine.
06/03/2013 at 16:04

Yes 18 was my max in all other maras. (Heh. I say all) I think that a longer longest run is psychologically helpful because you know you are near as anything to full distance. Quinn agree with the time element.

06/03/2013 at 17:13

According to McMillan my marathon pace is 8:39 based on my 1:47:45 - well under 4hrs! Are they just being crazily optimistic?

06/03/2013 at 17:50

Hello all nice to see some new people

Sorry all not read back bit hope all are OK. Been out for 10 today better than Sunday but a long way from recovered. I HAVE to slow down or Im not going to make the start . Rhyder 20 next Saturday so going to take it very easy until then

06/03/2013 at 17:51

Khanivore- Honest answer would be maybe the weather will be a big factor. Which Marathon you doing?

06/03/2013 at 17:55

London in April. 

06/03/2013 at 17:57
Khanivore, yes think they're being very optimistic. I'd say so for first one especially. And also because you are male. We tend to run on adrenaline and testosterone (fine in a half)... So lots of speed, lack of endurance and of course experience.

See that multiply your half by 2.2 or 2.3 a page back.
That gives you about 4:02-4:08.

You seemed to race your half, so up on 8 min mile pace by 1 min at the 6-7 mile point, down by 3 minutes on the next 6. Finished slower than the marathon pace you are suggesting to. At marathon distance you could go off similar but have a much more painful past 6-10 miles.

Setting off at 9:00-9:20 could save you.
Edited: 06/03/2013 at 18:04
06/03/2013 at 18:02

I have another half in a couple of weeks I plan to run that one at a steady 8 min/mile. That should tell me whether the initial few sub-8 miles at Silverstone cost me pace at the end right? For now though the plan for London is to set off and try to maintain 9 min/mile. To be honest, regardless of what happens at Reading in 2 weeks I will probably stick to that plan. The main thing is now that I feel just a bit more confident that I can hold 9 min/mile.

06/03/2013 at 21:55
I liked it when Jovi checked my pace in the race results! I didn't spot it til much later. Somehow missed the post. Nice when people are interested. I ache all over from pump yesterday. And my toe nail is coming off. Made running problematic this evening. But good news is that I found my Camelbac at the sorting office! Woo hoo! Tried it out today. Alright. Quite good actually. My teeth hurt after a run. Often. Any one else? I think I must clench them. This has been various weirdnesses from a very tired IkleB. My life is Bonkers. MA & Work & OFSTED & Training equals Nuts!
06/03/2013 at 22:00
My teeth hurt too.. I think it's from running with my mouth slightly open so all the cold gets in.. Maybe..
06/03/2013 at 22:28
Ikle, I must be the only person in here not to loose a toe nail, obvs not training hard enough.....
06/03/2013 at 22:54
My goodness FRC so glad you have been here in my absence talking sense. 20 20 22 ... Physio / hospital ... AND I Have been saying on here for SIX YEARS now .. It's time on your feet .. That was what Keith Anderson told us on my marathon training weekend in 2007 ... So there

Slow five for me this eve... Better do some speed soon ??? Eek ..
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.