sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

64,381 to 64,400 of 67,377 messages
19/03/2013 at 07:25

Aren't we good? Run done. 5.5 miles. Thanks Wabo. Onwards and upwards.

19/03/2013 at 07:31
Good four week taper for me as you would expect! 20 last Sunday, 16 this, 9 the following 6 the week before zzzzzzz
19/03/2013 at 08:07

Wow you are all pushing some mileage out here - well done!

Susan - you are an absolute stalmart, I wish I could go and do the long runs that you do, you don't give yourself enough credit.

Wabo - you are doing absolutely fabulous!

Ikle - you've got the miles in the bank and now you just need the power of positive thinking, it's amazing what it can do.

AH - is there more info re the high fat diet thing, I've been looking at the paleo diet but it looks too hard for me, as I'm not very disciplined.

DtF - a PB is a PB regardless of how much - well done I love the slapping feet comment, I think I am guilty of that, I am a heavy runner apparently and also look like I need the toilet when I run according to some club friends at the weekend ....

19/03/2013 at 08:10

In my world I have come up with the most spontaneous decision overnight with my friend. I have not run loads this year as I have nothing to aim for and for the first time in six years I haven't run a marathon - I underestimated how lazy it would make me and it's a bit odd having no target.

So me and my friend are going to run the Coast to Coast from St Bees to Robin Hood Bay in 7 days, 190 miles so it is a marathon a day. Due to the fact that both of us are extremely navigationally challenged this is going to be quite a challenge and so we are booked on a navigation course. Just sorted out all our accomodation which is scary as it means we have a specific mileage every day but I can't wait!! We're doing it in September so I can't do the Bullock but it's something new and unknown and an adventure - let's just hope I make it back.....

Edited: 19/03/2013 at 08:11
19/03/2013 at 14:04
WT that sounds truly bonkers but great fun. A marathon a day for that long is hardcore. I'm with you on navigation when I did off road fell event a couple of weeks ago I just followed everyone & hoped they were going the right way! Will. You run a marathon before the event?
19/03/2013 at 20:34

Oh my goodness WT - there you go again .. more mental than ever - thats why we love you and miss you - look forward to some great training posts with navigational comedy moments...way to go as the young people say ... and I dont object to being called a STALMART, bless you for noticing... truth is I dont do that many miles but dont telll the others, I am not sure they have noticed .. take this evening for instance .. was going to go to track - came home and ate two croissants .. before I had the pizza... AH was telling me about the whole diet thing and I knew I would not be able to do it...

great to see you AH .. and you Jovi btw... 

19/03/2013 at 21:34

Well done everyone, you're all running better then me but at least I am running!

IB - I recommend looking through old holiday photos, and sitting in a sauna several times a week (the latter builds heat acclimatisation as well as being Nice And Warm).

WT that sounds GREAT.

19/03/2013 at 21:37

PS we went to see Divine Comedy a few times back in the day. I remember one gig where they started off by launching into the not-then-released 'Sweden' and the whole audience collectively sh@ themselves 

19/03/2013 at 21:55
You are still running Fido, that's all that counts
19/03/2013 at 21:59

WT - that sounds like a fantastic idea... I mean what better way to spend a few days in September.

Official 1 second PB - unofficial (Garmin) 4 seconds... ummm... choices choices..,.

Lovely club run tonight. Took it easy for 4 then sprinted home, legs felt very good.

Not only was I mildly amused by slappy feet during Fleet, since I went to a running form workshop the other week i spent quite a long time (about 1hr45 to be precise) watching peoples running styles - jeez... it's amazing how inefficient some people are - arms and legs all over the place, nodding heads, rise and fall, heel strikes etc etc...

I can tell your all really interested...

19/03/2013 at 22:04
Yes Dave riveted and want to see video evidence of your perfect non slappy style ..... Cue Umbongo with witty comment about Daves "hair" ...
19/03/2013 at 22:06
Meant to say great to see you WT earlier not AH not that it's not great to see AH it is and it specially was on Sunday but just then I meant WT as she just popped in ... I am going, don't worry. ....
19/03/2013 at 22:14

Maybe Dave, if you weren't so busy looking at the other runners you'd have run quicker

20/03/2013 at 06:49

WT - know what? you're spot on! I am very easily distracted... as you can tell

20/03/2013 at 09:04

There were a couple of notable slappers on Sunday.  Really noisy.  I actually looked at their feet to see if they were wearing some sort of tap dancing shoes.

Coops - nope, nothing. Will message you to see if that works. Weird. (Ikle )

WT that is AWEsome. Good on you! I think I know how you feel. You look forward to not having to do xyz mileage/pace all the time, and having weekends back, then you miss the structure and sense of achievement. Well, that's what happens to me.

Can't believe the snow that Jovi is still having to put up with.

FRC - glad your fat eating friend is on good form.  To be honest, I'm not sure why I'm doing it. I suppose I think I'm sort of borderline and having endless energy stores on The Day appeals.  If any weight comes off - well lovely.  I don't think I really ate any processed crap anyway so don't think I'm likely to lose much.  Still feels really wierd TRYING to eat fat. So counter-intuitive.

WT - google Tim Noakes diet.  He has a great approach - very realistic and scientific.  He's researching it all at the mo and thinks we all have differnt genetic responses to sugar - some people tolerate it really well and don't have probs while others seem to find it difficult to control their weight how ever little they eat/much they run.  So he's not for a 'dont eat this, never eat that' approach.  He's much faster, thinner, more energetic (and his blood sugar/insulin response is happier) when eating hardly any carbs at all. No pulses, fruit etc. Some veg obv. But, unlike paleo, he's big into dairy.

He thinks he's quite extreme and that others are fine with more fruit, pulses etc. Bruce Fordyce is doing it, and his times have come down again and he can control his weight now.  He seems to be able to tolerate sucrose well.

Have a look at marathon talk - there was a Tim Noakes interview about it late last year. Also look at Talk Ultra Talk Training (via MArathon Talk website).  anything by Marc Laithwaite - 40/30/30 etc. Will make sense when you get there.

20/03/2013 at 09:05
20/03/2013 at 09:17

And - bloody hell I'm cross with myself - I was showing someone how to stretch the top of their hamstrings last night and I bloody well damaged a bloody muscle in my bum. really a bit sore this am. WAsn't going to run anyway but GOD.   How STUPID is that?

20/03/2013 at 09:28

Thanks AH - I will have a look at the Tim Noakes thing as it sounds easier than Paleo, is there a book or anything? I spent the weekend running in North Yorkshire and lived off carbs, I came home feeling absolutely awful so need to do something. 

Have just booked our private navigation course - feel sorry for the poor man who has to teach us!

AH - hopefully it's a short term pain 

20/03/2013 at 10:55

Nice to see Bruce Forsythe back in the mentions again. AH, did you deliberately vary your spelling of weird throughout, for my delectation?

Just realised that runs in my training plan don't have a 'run fast at the end' part any longer, it really is just miles now, with a few speed runs thrown in. Slightly terrified about the 22 at the weekend, but I guess I can turn into a 20 if I so choose.

Borderline less tired today. Went to see Ballet Revolucion at Sadler's Wells last night. Great fun and lots of male and femal buns of steel. Heh. Great stuff. Just like the radio with lots of amazing dancing.

As you can see, I'm avoiding doing any work today, because I've got so much to do I can't face it. So far I've written a list and a two day timetable to the weekend so I don't forget anything! Zoicks.

Edited: 20/03/2013 at 10:56
20/03/2013 at 11:26

morning all, I lost a bit more weight this week!

Hen hope your bum is ok

wt, my running club did that coast to coast a few years ago and I went along for the first couple of days.  Enjoy it its a great thing to do! I know what you mean about not having direction, I am so happy with my running right now training for a marathon its crazy!

WT one of my mates at work is doing paleo, lost about 20lbs he has.

We did some printing for that show ikle!

susan you do amaze me.  I would be scared to taper for 4 weeks, but then you have done more of this long stuff than me in the last few years I guess

9 miles d&d this morning, am a bit hungry!! early lunch I think..

Oh when do we get our packs for the collecting of numbers at expo?  I am out of touch with this marathon stuff

Edited: 20/03/2013 at 11:27
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.