sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

64,401 to 64,420 of 67,387 messages
20/03/2013 at 14:17

No WT - no Noakes diet books or anything yet.  I haven't listened to it yet, but the Talk Ultra current episode - #30 I think - is a recording of the talk Marc gave in Lanza.  There are food suggestions in there. Don't know if it made the cut but I asked specifically about what fats were ok to eat.  Also, if you can, do listen to the Talk Ultra Training podcasts.  I haven't listened to all of them yet, though.

You can either No Carb or Low Carb.  Paleo is pretty much No Carb, which I just don't think I could do.  At the moment - and I'm no expert - the two things that stand out for me are not having starchy things like rice, pasta, spuds with every meal, and eating a high fat breakfast to get the day's fat metabolism going.

For about six months now, poss longer, we've been a full fat household - full fat milk, yog, creme fraiche etc, although I've only just started the actively eating fat thing.  I've always loved cheese etc but it was always a treat, in moderation.

I'd suggest doing a bit of reading and then perhaps starting to make a couple of changes in the diet to see what happens.  I think its interesting and relevant for someone like you who's doing ultra stuff.  The gippy tummy thing when you have lots of carbs when exercising is dire and if you can avoid it by eating a lot less, but fatty food on the go - and not upsetting your tum, but at the same time giving you boundless energy - has to be a good thing.

20/03/2013 at 14:19

Oh Ikle. Bugger.  I seem to use the word a lot - and seem to be able to remember to spell it properly the first time - and feel smug about it - then use it again immediately and spell it incorrectly.  What a dunce.

20/03/2013 at 14:36

WT- You are crazy! but amazing. How on earth do you go from not a lot to 190 miles in 7 days.

I probably shoild not say this but training for all seems to be going very well and no ???????

Seem to have recovered Ok from the 20. Legs feel heavy all the time but managed a 5,6 and 7 in the last 3 days at different pace.

It depends on the next few weeks but for the London newbies are any oy you going off blue?

20/03/2013 at 15:02

ACoops - I've been onto your profile and there isn't a 'message member' button (or whatever there usually is).

Find me on Face book or Twitter (@LouArtfulHen) and perhaps that'll work better.

20/03/2013 at 18:26
ACoop, best not to try catch up on training, trying to do 20 two weekends. Which marathon & how many weeks to go? Can you drop back this weekend and do it week after?

Ikle, hope you're feeling more up for it today. Were you really up at 4:26am?

Susan - not mart, stalwart!

WT that ultra multi day event sounds nuts but amazing. Are you doing it for charity?

DtF, definitely agree with you running actions. watched the lpool half runners finish, from 1:05 winner (ulp) to 2:15, some weird styles and lot of energy wasted.

More weird was what it did to my eyes, you know that camera pull effect from vertigo? When the big block from 1:40-2:00 started all the runners going right past me in front of railings, with river behind and coast opposite... Ship went past and my eyes for next 5 mins had the coast moving as people ran. Weird!

Oh and Judderman was there! I forgot...

3 or 4 week taper for me, although have the option of 4 from this weekend, maybe go 21/18/14/11 on long runs. Still doing speed & mid week tempo runs.

Wabo, 4 week taper is fine, especially if any niggles. Extra tigger bounce guaranteed.
20/03/2013 at 20:06

FRC - Training schedule says 20 18 12 Marathon. I'm doing Brighton. I don't feel quite ready to taper yet. I felt good after my 20 on Saturday, but not as though I had 'peaked.' I think I will stick to another 20 this weekend. I've planned a special 'treat' run where I get a train and then run 20 miles home rather than my usual out and back. It feels significant somehow.  

WT - hello, and that sounds incredible! How do you train for that kind of thing??

AH - I've tried to message you through facebook on my computer now and not my phone. Fingers crossed..  

Wabo - Impressed with your weight loss. I seem to stay the exact same weight regardless of the hours I put in to training. I'm clearly overcompensating on the calorie front. 

20/03/2013 at 20:33
AC me too calorie consumption. Nice treatish run. I'm doing 22, 15, 12, Marathon.
20/03/2013 at 21:24
I did 6 today. Was supposed to be 8 but what the hey. Had a crummy day. Hey and crummy are really swear words...
20/03/2013 at 22:55
I have done a variety of 3 & 4 week tapers over several maras .. As am doing 16 this weekend don't think I am that "brave" Wabo .. just don't want to be on the start line tired , you know me

Great more weight loss Wabo ...
FRC I did get the stalwart thing, you just don't get my irony some times !

Bed now .. Did 7 miles MP this eve .. Not sure what that means but felt surprisingly good after Sunday .. Night ....
21/03/2013 at 00:16

Ah Susan, humour was lost in translation..stalmart .. Thought you might be a big Asda walmart fan. Great 7 miles at MP by you.

Friend does variation of Harcombe eating style some examples here. . Can still eat carbs some meals but not breakfast. Worth a read plus there is a book available.

I didn't realise the 5 a day veg fruit push came from American farmers for example.

Legs were a bit tight today after intervals Tuesday.
S & C class Wed night lots of stretching, Glute & hamstring work, heavy dead lifts. Hips more flexible which were a long term injury so progress. Legs feel like new after too. Only a few more days before taper. Phew.

Edited: 21/03/2013 at 09:28
21/03/2013 at 12:46

Hi All

I will be doing 15 this Sat (xctry hard core race) 21 the easter weekend and then not sure about first weekend of april, so my long runs are only 15 x 2, 17 x 1, 18x 1 , 20 and then the 21 which doesnt sound a lot to me but I feel good so I somehow think I am going to be ok! 

Acoops that sounds quite good teh 20 mile runnign back, something mentally good about that feeling of running home! Long miles with a nice purpose!

frc I have had that funny feeling watching the London!

Martin I have been thinking the same about training and I dont want to say it either....

21/03/2013 at 14:23

I'm doing a 10k race on Saturday morning, which i hope will act as a barometer, and as encouragement for a sub4 marathon in 5 weeks time. I have no half marathons in my training plan (following the P&D plan) so this is as good as it gets in terms of "tune-up" races. Next weekend is an 18mi with the last 14mi at MP, so that too should hopefulyl give me some sense of whether i'm in the right shape.

21/03/2013 at 20:17
Wabo if you say what you are doing/ have done "does not sound a lot" I may have to come a d give you a smack! It sounds brilliant and honestly twice as many long ones as me so don't make me feel bad ... You feel PROUD lady
21/03/2013 at 21:27

Well... that was wet!

21/03/2013 at 21:44

EEEEEkk I'm in the red section to start Brighton.. I shall be hiding right at the back behind the proper fast people. EEEEEEEkkk.

DtF - Where are you? Can you please keep the rain there? I would like at least one long run that didn't involve rain or snow. Ta. 

21/03/2013 at 22:01

Have you been in the shower Dave?

AH - I have attempted the high fat diet today but not sure I have got it completely right  Bacon, egg and mushroom for breakfast which was a bit odd, snacked very very little on almonds, and walnuts, tuna nicoise salad (admittedly with some potatoes in), and then fish, broccoli for dinner and I'm absolutely stuffed -  No chocolate or bread has passed my lips. I have however made flapjacks for the kids and had to have two of them which isn't in the diet - apart from the flapjacks have I got the right idea?

Re London - I am going down to support a friend so who is running it, I will have to have a plan as to where I will be and cheer you all on.

21/03/2013 at 22:02

As for the questions as to how I train for my stupid challenge, I have no idea! Think we will do some back to back long runs, we're heading off to the route to recee some of it and we have attached ourselves to a friend who is training to run the Pennine Way and very good. We aim for weekly 30 mile hilly walk/runs to become our norm.....

Our mileage plan for the 7 days is 26.1, 28.1, 23.9, 31.8, 22.6, 29 and 19.  As you do....

21/03/2013 at 22:27
That's exactly how I would lay it out WT good move
21/03/2013 at 22:28
AH IN THE RED SECTION TOO ACOOPS... Not sure why I am shouting ..
21/03/2013 at 22:43

That is amazing, Wishful. Does anyone know why my writing in these boxes now looks really tiny? It's spoiling all my drivel joy.

Aren't you worried your legs will fall off, WTW?!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.