sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

64,461 to 64,480 of 67,488 messages
24/03/2013 at 18:20
Nice training run event in Hyde Park, def one for future if they do it again, very low key, nice cafe to hide in until start it was SOOOOOOOOOOO cold. Lovely 4 mile loop, option of 16 or 20 miler, or frankly 4,8,12 if you stopped! Found it not too bad, was having to slow myself down on lap. 3 so desperate was I to get the end and lost my two mates as they stopped for the loo so attacked two poor innocent young people to chat to me on lap 4 they were very nice and funnily enough live in Willesden Green where I live, they probably thought I was s total nutter but we had a good natter and the last mile I ran on as they had one more lap and I was keen to finish. Last mile quite quick. 2.28 for 16. Not too bad. Hands still frozen solid at the end.

God KNOWS how AH went swimming in the sea today ... RESPECT you mad person .

Hope Ickle went well ..
24/03/2013 at 18:29

Your event sounds fab, Susan.  Much the best kind of way to get a long run done.  

Yes, the sea was cold, but it always is so same old same old. It's cold before you get in and cold in but then worse when you get out and start to shake with your body filling up with what feels like icy water.  Really it's icy blood.

Have lolled about a bit this pm after dissapointing roast pork... only to realise I'm meant to be at the club awards evening in 20 mins... Bugger. Really wanted to do some more Sunday lolling.

Hope everyone else's runs went ok.

24/03/2013 at 18:37

I like lolling.

Ran 21 miles (took off one mile due to rubbish fuelling - managed to miss out lunch entirely, and only had 4 beans left...) Horrid weather. But great route - via Olympic site (with Basey of course) then Canary Wharf, Limehouse Quay, ending at St Katherine's Docks (lovely place - so nice to show it to Basey!) and then back again with a few loops in the park near home. Look on FB should you want more detail. I am really dead now. It took me 3 hours 43 minutes ish. I felt sick at the end (see the not enough fuel part.) Weather horrid, but much better day for running than yesterday. No aches and pains as such.

Well done everybody else for various spectacular things - AH, Susan, et al.

Edited: 24/03/2013 at 18:38
24/03/2013 at 19:13
Yes def better weather today Ickle. Just looked at GARMIN in un characteristic interest .. Average pace 9.40 last Sunday 20 av pace 9.39. Zzzzzzzzz sorry lost myself there. Last lap felt faster today but obviously it wasn't ha ha .. I think my two miles last Sunday where I was catching up pals post loo stop which were both 8.30 min miles brought my average down ..

What has happened to me I am talking about pace and min miles ... Going now to loll.
24/03/2013 at 19:14
Well done Ickle 21 miles ... Ouch ...
24/03/2013 at 19:14
ACoops great 22. The hard runs like these will make the real event seem easy. Character building.

As for those doing Hard moors 55 or Thames 100 this weekend. Brutal. the Thames 50 I did would be nails today. 100 miles just plain torture. HM 55 with 1000s metres of incline - like the Eiger.

Great runs by Susan and Ikle.
Definitely need to work on refueling IB.. Just those sport beans still? What do they give out at Brighton, any gels or sport drinks?

AH you are the woman of steel - or hen. Who needs superman ?

Did fraction under 21mi with pals today and sounds pretty similar to ACs. Started before 8am, finished after 11.30 with loo breaks for pals plus change to trail shoes midway. On road itself most pavements too icy 11ish miles in 1:4x. Next 10 off road nearly 2 hours and tough, ice, snow, freezing water, few hills.. Worse than XC but sort of enjoyable especially the snowball fight fartlek section !
Gave up on doing 22 after first mile of trail. Time on feet well and truly done. Legs strong anyway.

Then some fine food after to recover.
24/03/2013 at 20:28
Is it too late for me to start gelling now?
24/03/2013 at 21:29

oops - I got there at 7 ... but it started at 6.  Still it means I'm home again nice and quick and back on the sofa.

Legs still feel absolutely dead after yesterday. STill have Skins on with my feet up.

Not going to run tomorrow.  Will swim and hope my legs are back in time for the final 10 x 800 on Tuesday.

Night all xx

24/03/2013 at 21:33
Night Hen x
24/03/2013 at 22:07
Night thread people ....
24/03/2013 at 22:38
Night night
24/03/2013 at 23:15
Not too late to try something Ikle.. There are ways to test them.

Anything given out for free at Brighton?

Night Fred!
25/03/2013 at 12:20
average of first 10.5 miles   total time first 10.5 miles 10:52       1:54:10               average of last 10.5 miles   total time last 10.5 miles 10:18       1:48:09

Look my lovely brother did this. and it proved that I managed to do a negative split in my monster run yesterday! Zippee! Feel normal today too. Just tired.

25/03/2013 at 12:24

I think my energy drink straight after helped too.

25/03/2013 at 13:14

I've been doing a little bit of investigating about the free food for Brighton. They are giving out Clif shots and Clif gels along the way for 'fuel,' water will be in those little water pouches and they have gatorade as their sports drink.

For those that care the water pouches are sulphite free, hooray! I'm allergic to sulphites so have to carry my own water if the event are handing out bottled water with them in. I can't wait to run without my camelpak

Ikle - I always take a Clif energy bar on my long runs, choc chip flavour. I seem to be getting through without any kind of wall hitting so I guess they are doing the job. I have a whole box of them if you would like to try one!  

25/03/2013 at 13:23

While I'm at it - anyone have experience running with a marathon pacer? I know I run faster with other people and I'm not so great at setting my own pace, so I am thinking it might be a good idea..  

25/03/2013 at 13:39

I much prefer the idea of a bar.

25/03/2013 at 13:39
ACoops I use cliff blok shots, about 1 cube every 3-4 miles, 9 g of carbs. I don't use their gels. Most full gels are 27-35g of carbs... I find them too much so prefer to have the bloks.

Be careful if mixing any of those with Gatorade .. A visit from the Gingerbread man may result. Or a visit to the toilet for those more innocent.
Edited: 25/03/2013 at 13:51
25/03/2013 at 14:29

ACoops I think pacers are sometimes fab and sometimes not.  I think you'll be ok at Brighton. I might do it, too.  There was talk of a friend being a sub4 pacer there, but its def not happening which is a shame.

In Paris I started in front of the sub 4 pacers (two groups) yet both groups came charging past me at half way, going really fast.  I let them go but caught one group, then another at 20 miles and it was a real relief to mentally hand over to them the calculations and thinking about pace, KM/Miles etc.  But then they stopped en masse for drinks at 23 so I pushed on.  They did all get over the line below 4 hours (which is more than I did) but their pace did seem to accelerate/decelerate a bit which I'd find a nightmare on a flat course.

Cracking splits, Ikle

25/03/2013 at 19:56
Thanks AH. Order of info slightly confusing in the cut n paste. Sorry. Fuelling is confusing too. Too many options. I think I'll stick with jelly beans and have lots more. This evening i shall mainly be doing NOTHING!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.