sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

64,821 to 64,840 of 67,462 messages
16/04/2013 at 11:40

FRC, you should really run. I'm hoping to come and watch. Have a school friend running it too...

16/04/2013 at 11:59
The weather looks good for watching and not bad for running!
16/04/2013 at 13:42

I'm with Smeags - Running is one of the few activities in the world that is completely inclusive, it shows us that humans of all can come together to enjoy something regardless of age, gender, beliefs etc. Running is a little beacon of hope in a sometimes dire world. It would be a sad day if we were to lose it. 

My plan is pay my respects to those who have lost their lives or sustained injuries and to continue on as before.

As such, here is my race report from Sunday! 

I was feeling quite excited and completely ready to go on Sunday morning, positioning myself in front of the 4:00 pacer. My plan was to run from him the entire way around. My plan went pretty well, for the first 16 miles..

I felt really good coming up and around Preston Park and through the city centre - I was keeping to my splits like clockwork and felt I was doing a good job of holding back. The trip up the hill was also enjoyable, I like hills when I'm allowed to run slowly up them. On the way out of the village is when I spotted Susan, but it took me a few metres to put together the red tutu and name on the shirt - I did yell out but I think my attempted cry of 'Susan, it's Coops!' sounded more like SUUDSAJDSASdPS. 

I started to tire a little as I was coming down the hill (??) but pulled my splits back to pace with the support of the crowd along the seafront. Somewhere along this stretch I became a little over excited and I think this is where it all went wrong for the 4:00 target.. at 15 miles I was ahead by almost 2 mins, but by 17 I was behind by three. 

The trip out and around Hove completely humbled me. I turned the corner with a 4:00 pacer balloon from in front slowly getting closer, but by the time I came back on to the seafront the 4:00 pacer from behind had overtaken me at a speed I couldn't believe I had been running only a few miles back. 

There is little to report of the remaining miles other than they seemed to go on forever. I had abandoned the 4:00 target by then and was just focusing on making my legs work. It is all a bit of a blur but I do remembering thinking how hard the 'climb' was to get over a speed hump and then laughing at how ridiculous that was. I had definitely gone a bit 'squirrel' at this point.

Crossing the finish line was just amazing. I'm now shuffling around like a Penguin but I've run a marathon and I refuse to let anything get in the way of how good that makes me feel.

Lessons to take in to the next one.. I need to work on nutrition, my single clif bar just didn't cut it on the day. I also need to teach my quads to cope with sustained hard effort. I didn't do any intervals etc. so I think that will be the next addition to my training regime.  

A bit long, I think I'm feeling rather emotional still - sorry  

16/04/2013 at 13:58
Great race report AC. Marathon running is a learning experience and it takes time to get it right on the day althought even with the best plans things still go wrong during the race. Although there is plenty of advice on here you will find your own methods that suit you. My marathon times have been 4;18 as the slowest to 3:31 as the fastest so there is no consistancy.
16/04/2013 at 14:22
No need to apologise ACoop. I couldn't get my thoughts together for weeks after first one. It's a lot to take in.

Did your pace trail off a lot then at 16-17 miles?
If it's the cliff bar I think you mean like peanut or choc chip ones, you need 2-4 times as much carb wise. Varies per person.
Yes to the quads. Gym work or hills. I did pump fx classes with the ladies for a year and definitely works.

Congrats again.
16/04/2013 at 15:31

Top reporting, Coops.  All sorts of gym work is good, but I think everyone's quads feel mashed during a marathon, no matter how much strength work they do in advance. That's just normal! Do you do lots of your running off road?  Getting used to the pounding of leg against tarmac is something you can only train for by running on the road. (On the other hand, that prob played a big part in my not doing Brighton...)

The main thing is that you enjoyed having triumphed over the marathon - it's a tough task master which you can only 'get' when you've done one. And you HAVE

16/04/2013 at 15:37
I did hils and gym work in training for my last marathon and my quads were ok. I think it takes a number of years of hard training to be able to sustain a marathon with little pain.
16/04/2013 at 15:41
Forgot to say, I have just un 5k in 29:07 on the tradmill. That's all I can manage at the moment as the calves get very tight. My cardio is ok due to XTrainer and bike in the gym before and after my kne op.
16/04/2013 at 17:39
Quads okay here too AH after last marathon?
I was back out running within 2 days and did 3 more races in the 2-4 weeks afterwards, 10k, 10 mile & 5k.

Did get into compression gear within 20 mins of finish and sports massage the day after.
16/04/2013 at 19:57

Hello all

FRC- You have to run. I will be in my UK top but now may put something on it. Ideas? I would rather we were going to clap as seems more like F@@k off  to the people who did this. The marathon family is strong we have to be to.

16/04/2013 at 21:36
Well 48 hours later and it's all a bit sad. Boston ... Awful.

Also on the 7.05 train yesterday am got message from my sister, Sam Brighouse who died in Brighton was a good friend of my nephew. So sad. Poor Ollie is very upset. Just unimaginable.

ACoops .. So sorry I did not hear you !

Got some great shots of me at finish line looking very together and smiley ... Not sure I quite felt like that but pleased with how I dealt with the gremlins at 18

Had busy two days in Leeds and Birmingham and popped to track on way back from station, our club was doing a marathon round the track so I did a lap in my converse and work trousers .. Just for fun.

Looking forward to my day off on Thursday
16/04/2013 at 21:37
((((Howard))))) how sad
16/04/2013 at 21:37
Don't be too down hearted Ikle (())
16/04/2013 at 21:45

Yep, FRC I had a choc chip one, nowhere near enough. I'm going to pick up some of those clif blocks for my next event - they looked tasty, like jelly. 

These were my splits: 

10km: 00:56:59 09:10/mile half way: 01:01:43 08:57/mile 30km: 00:54:35 09:52/mile finish: 01:21:59 10:49/mile   Most my training was on road, hard to avoid in London unfortunately. I wouldn't mind trying out a trail marathon to feel the difference.. 

I'll be recovered enough to get back in to training for my next event tomorrow - hooray! 
16/04/2013 at 22:49

ACoops that time, for a first time, on an undulating course, with "a clif bar" (and did you carbo-load properly beforehand?) - sub-4 is deffo within your reach with more experience, less hill-age, and more carbs

The clif shot blocks (orange waxy cubes!) my other half likes and I've taken to having them on training runs ... but think they would be a bit of a faff (getting the buggers out, and you have to have so many) in races. Torq gels (cafffffeeeeeene) for races, one every 5k or so, rip, slurp, wash down, job done. It's a very individual thing, people take to all sorts of different stuff. Tried a Hammer gel once and actually gagged!!

Howard how sad. Happened a few years ago to someone I'd known at Uni - he was a few years older than us but not that much. His cousin said how much it meant to see photos of him enjoying himself with his friends.

30 beginners signed up today - erk - no doubt the numbers will fall off over the weeks as LIFE takes its toll, but hopefully some will last the course and enjoy it all. 

Susan that's so sad. 

Massage yesterday after Sunday's 19 miler - oooh my left ITB !!

16/04/2013 at 23:47

Susan Sorry to hear that.

ACoops, sub 4 is definitely well within your reach, you were bang on pace at 10k & half way, then faded.. might be not enough carbs, possibly an extra long run, trail would be good for time on feet - my weekend run with club is 11 miles trail.

Fido, not sure what you mean about having take so many bloks.. 1-2 packs does me? 3 cubes equivalent to one gel, 6 cubes in each pack for ~£2.

I just took 1 pack to do my last 20 mile race, 2 packs last marathon and that felt a lot - 1-2 cubes every 4-5 miles. They even sell them in Tesco now. I like the "Orange waxy cubes... orange waxy cubes" song though.

(OWC - caffeine ones? I can't do caffeine..)

Mrs FRC is still a bit down, (maybe similar to Ikle with work and stress? Where are you IB?) but has a club posse thing going on now.. 4-5 ladies have joined Feb, all run together, take Deb's advice, or mine if needed, and did March half marathon together. They all did their first league race last week, instead of usual 8-10 women we had 16 running.. great turnout. Holiday being booked finally too.. Phew.

17/04/2013 at 07:46
Hey I'm reading but not writing! Have had almighty headache since Sunday so actually not going into work today... Hey ho.
17/04/2013 at 09:19
Get well soon Ickle . Sounds like you need a good rest.

Susan, sorry to hear that.
17/04/2013 at 10:54

hi guys

susan so sorry to hearabout your nephews friend, its awful when that happens

ikle hope you get rid of that headache soon

my girls are back, my house is upside down and I am very tired but totally happy!

So now I am feeling ever so unprepapred for SUnday, not runnign wise just not got my head around getting to start, getting number etc etc.  Yet somehow I am starngely calm and cool about the whole thing. First ever marathon 1997, guess thats why, don't know really!

hope everybody is ok.

17/04/2013 at 11:18
Stay calm Wabo and it will all fall into place!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.