sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

64,841 to 64,860 of 67,377 messages
17/04/2013 at 11:56

I so so hope so smeags and with them both there I cannot think of anything better.

17/04/2013 at 12:07
lot of sad news at the moment.

did 6 miles last night with 5 miles fast (42:15 for 5m). definitely got to do some faster speed work after the marathon. turned out to be a good run, not for the run but for the ??20 note i found on the road .

Acoops - seems you got the pace spot on for the first half. Was it windy and did you find it hot. it's the only trouble with this time of year, you train in the cold and then when you get to the race it's always warmer.Was very windy here on Sunday so Im glad i did my long run Friday
17/04/2013 at 12:18
That was a nice find Quinn. Mrs Smeags to be found a ??10. note whilst on a run recently so this looks like a lucky thread to be on!
17/04/2013 at 13:20

Sorry Susan completely missed your post - I'm sorry to hear that about your nephew.

My final moment photos are shockers..

I was happy with the weather - cool with a nice sea breeze. My legs just stopped listening to me is all. They're still being a bit unreasonable. I tried to go for a gentle lunch-run today, they refused to go any further than 1.3km.

Ikle - hope you're feeling better soon!

Wabo - it will all be fine, at least you know that you need to organise yourself - plenty of people won't realise until Sunday morning..

17/04/2013 at 13:58

Thanks ACoops.

This is my Brighton Marathon, 2013 race report. It's in three parts. I would like to dedicate it to everyone who ran the Brighton marathon, everyone who ran the Boston marathon and everyone who will run London on Sunday too.

I started the race with about a billion beans in my back pocket and wondering how many I’d actually be able to eat. I had my mask ready to put on at the start and I was determined NOT to go too fast. Watch charged, 10 minute warm up done (2 lots of 5 minutes) in my pen, sitting down on my black bin liner looking through all the legs of the rest of the people in blue pen, thinking just how darn right everything had gone, all through training right up to this moment. We started. Slowly, but not annoyingly so, watch started, everything was groovy.

Realised quite quickly that mask was going to be a bit annoying and fally-offy, but thought it would probably be a good distractor later on. How right I was.

Got into a good pace of 9 minutes something for the first few miles and checked form. Got used to glasses and realised that sweat, though building up nicely on my face, was dripping out equally nicely through the nose holes of the mask. So that was good. Weather was nice. Mild but not too hot for me.  Crowds thinnish.

Towards the end of the first 10k had to do a fair amount of ‘slowing down’ but this I did, through constant refocusing and reminding myself that there would be plenty of time for zoominess later on, if need be.

Edited: 17/04/2013 at 13:58
17/04/2013 at 14:00

Was pleased in the second 10K that I still needed to slow down at points. I passed Susan after staring at her tutu for a bit, reading the ‘tu tu far’ sign on the back of her tee shirt, and thinking, Yes, that has to be Susan. So that was very exciting to see someone I know and chat. I really enjoyed this bit of the race, coming back down the long roady bit (!) and still feeling fab and all in control. Was very conscious that I knew my brother was tracking me, and that I’d have some questions to answer if I went too fast early on, so I was very pleased with my average of around 9:15 minute miles for the first half. It was around 12 miles that I felt what I thought was the ghost of knee pain, and dismissed it owing to a) knowing it couldn’t be because I don’t get that any more. I’m better now b) knowing I knew how to deal with it – by lifting the knee higher and concentrating on form and c) this was the Brighton Marathon, my SUB FOUR!

The  niggle really wasn’t going, and I got to mile 13 starting to feel worried, and trying hard to put TRS technique into action. Which I had already been doing to be fair; I kind of do it quite naturally nowadays, I like to think. It seemed to die down a bit around mile 14 but by mile 16 I knew that it really was ITB knee pain and also that it was getting worse and that the knee lifting wasn’t working, if anything was making it worse.

When I got to mile 17 I knew I was going to have to start walking for a bit, which I put off as long as possible, knowing well that once you start walking, it’s very hard to start running again, even without a specific pain at this stage of the race.  I knew that while I was running the end was getting nearer faster. I also kept thinking about the bit in the marathon guide in RW that says if you have an injury in a race that gets worse, you aren’t meant to keep going, but pull out. I also remember thinking that 9 miles was a long time to walk for. But I then thought that as it could well be my last marathon, I should just keep going. I remember pulling out of Edinburgh, and how depressing it was. I also knew that even though my knee would hurt more the more I ran on it, that I wouldn’t do any lasting damage; ITB doesn’t maim you, it just hurts (a Lot) I started to walk/run. By the end, from around mile 24, I could only run for about .07 of a mile at a time and I was starting to have to drag my left leg a bit, keeping the knee up movement to a minimum. This was where my comedy mask really came in to its own. People thought it

Edited: 17/04/2013 at 14:01
17/04/2013 at 14:04

People thought it was so very very funny. They laughed so much and said ‘Come on Cathy Bunt’ and I thought, that’s me, that is. I’m Cathy Bunt’ (though not for much longer) and this helped. I tagged so many children's hands throughout.

I cried so so much into my mask throughout the second half of the race because I was so so disappointed; I was so sure I would make the sub 4 or be very close, as everything was set up for it, including the whole first half of the race – I wasn’t just running like a lunatic. It was so measured.

So any time anybody cheered I just started running for a bit, 50 metres or so, and then walked again, etc. etc. So, eventually: 400 metres sign, 200 metres sign, sweet. I didn’t see anybody I knew apart from Susan on the way, and Basey at the very end, who was standing on a pole.  At least I did sub 5 and took over 20 minutes off of VLM. I knew I’d have to walk/run not just walk to make it as I remember noting that I only had about 18 minutes left for the last mile, but I did sub 5. With 5 minutes to spare. I’m glad I didn’t pull out.I remember the moment I decided I was going to finish. I felt happy then.

Edited: 17/04/2013 at 14:10
17/04/2013 at 14:12

PS, I managed to eat just over half of the beans. I never want to see one ever again.

17/04/2013 at 15:35
Great race report Ickle. Got the full picture and emotion from it. I'ts a shame you still suffer from ITB problem as you would certainly do a sub-4. Youdeserve one for all the effort you put into training and the race day.
17/04/2013 at 18:41

great report Ikle - I think the camber is really awful at Brighton particularly the up the cliff and down a bit bit - I felt my knee tweaking on that bit and kept moving into the middle to try and keep off the sides and the real left hand down camber... I was so stupid - I thought to myself I would ease it out when I turned round at the top to come back down but annoyingly my left leg was still on the left and the left hand side of the road was still on the left hand side ... doh!!!

17/04/2013 at 18:45

That's interesting, Susan. Could it have been something as simple as that? I didn't even think of trying to adjust to where on the road I ran, even though I read something to that effect in an article not so long ago...

17/04/2013 at 19:10
Interesting! I still think your ITB is too tight where it attaches to your Glute. You need to do lots of strenghning and especially stretching of your Glutes. When you stretch you should feel it pulling at the side of the knee.
17/04/2013 at 19:23
Ikle - I'm smiling away at your report which is perhaps wrong as I realise you are disappointed at the outcome. But I love the way you've written it... Honestly and without all the usual garb... So thank you! Maybe your sub4 hour day will come... Who knows? But in the meantime relish in the fact that you only ate half the jelly beans and that your betrothed is talented enough to position himself on the top of a pole...

On a completely different note...

I am in London for a few days soon (Chelsea Flower Show time again) and would love to meet up for cocktails etc with anyone who feels the urge. I am thinking 15th, 16th or 17th May - any takers?
17/04/2013 at 19:28

Don't give up Ikle.  Keep up with the TRS - all that's very new and I guess you'll need to concentrate on it for a while yet.  Something new like that doesn't stick over night.  Stick with it. You will get there .

http://www.220triathlon.com/blog/10-tips-tackle-open-water

That's my latest blog on 220 Triathlon.

http://louwalker.com/at-last-weve-beaten-winter/

my latest normal blog

17/04/2013 at 19:29

Am going to be in the local paper tomorrow.  Wouldln't mind but I've got much better pics now and they'll prob use one of me prancing round in my swimsuit in the snow - which is SO old news.  Never mind. If it prompts a bit of sponsorship I'm happy.

17/04/2013 at 19:43
Great blogs AH. The pic of you coming out the sea is particularly good. Fame at last beeing in the local paper! Next you should be on the local BBC news.

Dave I'm in Scotland that week getting married so will miss the gathering if there is one which is a shame as we haven't met up for long time.
17/04/2013 at 22:42
Very much available for cocktails around then Dave .. Any night better for you?
17/04/2013 at 22:54

Hi all been away from hear for ages see all the old Names and lots of new ones but iam back ive taken the plunge and entered Brighton for next year,

So iam going to make that extra effort to get back on the Sub 4 Forum and sub 4 time as well.

Hope every ones well

17/04/2013 at 23:21
AH maybe old news, but nothing wrong with photos of you in swimsuit (still got IT!)

Ikle, really felt for you reading that report, people cheering you on whilst you were crying your eyes out. Tough to finish. That takes guts.

Have a rest. Come back refreshed, then see how you feel. TRS is only a very recent change. Need more time and practice.

You've still got Thunder Run at end of July with me and others. It will be fun. Officially.
Edited: 17/04/2013 at 23:43
18/04/2013 at 11:02

great blogs AH - I have finally got a day off!! so pleased to be able to relax I have of course already done quite a lot of gardening!  must have a sit down.  The last three days have been so full on with work and with the sad news of Sam Carter Brighouse and the Boston bombs.

Last sunday seems a world away - I dont have a great race report like ACoop and Ikle but my day went a bit like this.  I had a good sleep at a friend of friends very near Preston Park I got up at 7 very civilised and we did not leave the house til 8 all very calm.  The park was so muddy the 45mins we spent there was in a loo queue (huge) and avoiding trainers being totally caked in mud! Last min decision to put in lenses as there was a drop of rain (wish I had put on prescription sunglasses but its one of the bummers of not being able to see - thought rain on glasse would be worse, but it did not rain). 

off we went - hill on the first mile round the park - had forgotten that! tried to keep pace.  Ikle passed me around mile 7or 8? gave her a cheery wave.  Saw Sian as I headed back down (the downhill never feels as good a down hill as you want - which explains why the hill up is not too awful!) was feeling the camber a bit in left knee....

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.