sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

64,861 to 64,880 of 67,526 messages
18/04/2013 at 11:11

sun peeping out - me no hat, no sunglasses... so phoned a friend... lovely Shade - she was at the wheel waiting to cheer - sounded surprised to get my call.. could she see a chemist or cheap sunglasses on the pier!?  tried my son- his house is virtually on the course on the sea front - no answer - still asleep .. ran on.... saw Shade and Diane in front of the wheel - ran over for a kiss and she passed me some cheap and cheerful sunglasses - popped them straght on - sun was out for a bit and I hate that sun when its 10 degrees warmer than what you want to run in - eg. shorts and t shirt on before you start - thats too warm.  Sunglasses were very tight and steamed up!!! ha ha... wore them for a bit but very annoying so put them on my head - looked very stylish with tutu and sunglasses on head.

on on on on we ran .. saw ambulance, saw people looking pooped.. did the loop up out the back way ... that felt longer than 2 years ago - saw running club guy - on other side - gave him a shout and a smile... on on on ... people holding a sign saying HURRY UP ITS KNACKERING HOLDING THIS SIGN made me smile. .. on on on .. towards coming out of this long loop saw Sian on other side going in .. we had a big hug - I said - its horrible - she agreed... on we went.

approaching mile 18 my garmin told me to delete data...what?? no idea how .. so that was the end of my garmin.. it stopped right there.  I nearly did too.... but no on I went .. as I got to 19 I had a touch of the bloody cant do it, dont want to etc so I took charge - remembering a conversation on the train down with a real marathon junky about run / walk.  so I told myself I could walk at every mile marker - one minute only - very strict.  So into the ship yard area of death I went and walked when I saw those markers .. more people lying by side of road not happy... on on on... found I could pick up the running knowing I was stopping at the next marker to walk.

18/04/2013 at 11:18

back  up on the seafront the crowds are brilliant - lots of encouragement to run .. I smiled and said I will!  I promise!! and counted to 60 and ran again.. saw my mates at about mile 24 .. luckily was running and looking relaxed and strong.. see photos on facebook.. but I still did my walk at 25.. every one shouting at me to run .. but I kept smiling - told them I was only walking a minute and needed to look good at the end..

400 metres to go... running now quite well  .. thinking I hope I will have made it under 4.30 despite the 6 minutes of walking - heard someone shout SUSAN !!! looked to my left and saw my lovely James - gave him a big wave and smile (actually I may have shouted never again ... hard to remember now!!!) .. was very pleased to find out afterwards on the beach from Sian who had the Brighton app my time was 4.20 ( the seconds were the wrong side of 30 so we wont mention them...)

Had a sit down - waiting for Sian - saw an older guy unconcious on a stretcher convulsing and a young guy on a stretcher really distressed.. its makes the end quite sobering...  sat with a young guy who had lost his girl friend and phone .. he had no drink and nothing to eat... so I gave him a lucozade and some crisps.. he had not really trained .. the only training he had done was a half marathon the weekend before!! how mad. 

How sad that the young guy my nephew knew was fit, had trained but did not make it. Still makes me feel very sad.

I do like Brighton .. but I think the November marathon suits me better... Although stting here reading Easthams comment I am quite tempted to enter Brigthon .. it is very expensive though so I probably wont... just yet... 

18/04/2013 at 11:22

three sleeps till London!! 

18/04/2013 at 13:04

way Susan that is a lovely report! Well done you, and yes how sobering

And IKLE! Your report is so so poignant and I feel for you, what a star. Susan may well have a good point about the camber eh?

will try and read your blog later hen, need to crack on at work now but I am sure they are great!

3 sleeps????? Oh goodness.....

hi Eastham!!!

DTF I have a wedding 18/5 and have to head off to Devon 17/5 so I am not sure about that week

18/04/2013 at 14:30

Lovely posts and reports. Doing VLM Sunday but feel a bit down about it after Boston.

18/04/2013 at 14:50

Really enjoyed reading ALL your posts... Ikle the thought of you crying in your mask, made me cry but i also loved the bit you wrote about realising your going to finish...

18/04/2013 at 15:22

Great report, Susan - you do make me laugh. Love that hurry up sign.  Yes, meant to say, awful about that poor young chap. Thank goodness the human brain is generally quite positive so that we don't dwell on things like that. So many horrid things happening, we'd all be on antidepressants in no time.  Obv not quite the same for friends adn families.

Hello eastham!

Don't feel down about VLM LO65. Be proud and stick it to 'em!

18/04/2013 at 15:26

Can I just have a quick boast?  My dippy daughter is so daft and disorganised in SO many ways (eg went AWOL this am at college, missing a briefing from the examiner for this pm's French speaking exam, woudln't answer phone etc... was in the library with phone on silent, swotting; oh, and forgot her student ID card - can't do exams without it, she'd leant it to a friend and had to walk round to his house to get it this am...GOD - what would have happened if he wasn't in? Or didn't live in Winch?)

ANNNNYway.  She only went and got an A in her GCSE maths resit!  Got a C last time. This time she spent the whole of Feb half term swotting and relearning a new syllabus by herself.  Talk about doing it the hard way!

Can't put anything on FB yet because a friend who did a bit of tutoring for her is coming round for a massage later and I want her to tell him rather than him finding out on FB.

18/04/2013 at 15:32

well done Charlie !! great stuff.. what a clever Henlet....

Yes LO605 - you go and run London for all the victims from Boston....

My proud parent boast of the day is James was voted player of the year for the Sussex University 2nds Rugby team .. he was very surprised .. and genuinely chuffed!!

18/04/2013 at 15:35

must be time for a ...

18/04/2013 at 15:35

totp?

18/04/2013 at 15:58

Runner

Charity

Club

Susan Kennedy (16235)

Queens Park Harriers

Started: 09:03

Finished: 13:24

Chip time: 04:20:54

Gun time: 04:24:44

Position (overall): 4193 out of 9152

Position (women): 891 out of 3200

Pace: 09:57 min/mile

Splits

10km: 01:00:55 09:48/mile

half way: 01:06:15 09:36/mile

30km: 00:55:34 10:02/mile

finish: 01:18:08 10:18/mile

Runner

Charity

Club

Susan Kennedy (7803)

Started: 09:10

Finished: 13:31

Chip time: 04:20:39

Gun time: 04:30:47

Position (overall): 3476 out of 7820

Position (women): 720 out of 2628

Pace: 09:56 min/mile

Splits

first half: 02:11:33 10:02/mile

second half: 02:09:04 09:50/mile

18/04/2013 at 16:00

weirdly got almost the same time in both Brighton marathons I have just realised... but two years ago - running with two mates and pacing slower I did a negative split... note to self .. try not to run alone... 

any one else entering Brighton next year ?

18/04/2013 at 16:51
Love your race repport Susan. I would love to do Brighton but am going to use my London place and will not be up to both.
18/04/2013 at 17:08
TOTP
18/04/2013 at 17:18

WOW... its £65 to enter Brighton next year!! got to the checkout and chickened out!

18/04/2013 at 19:00

That's expensive. Enter the London ballot Susan.

18/04/2013 at 20:27
No I much prefer Brighton, London costs quite a lot too doesn't it? And Brighton tiny bit earlier ... Still sitting on fence though
18/04/2013 at 20:59

London is £32. and is on your doorstep!

18/04/2013 at 22:24
That's half the price .... Will see...

Hope Ikle okay (((()))) hugs to you x
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.