sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

64,881 to 64,900 of 67,669 messages
18/04/2013 at 23:16
I've signed up for Brighton 2014

Picked up my 4hr pace band at the London expo today
18/04/2013 at 23:26
Khanivore, will maybe see you there. I'm on blue start, which are you?

Someone telling me the vlm security has tightened up around the park so only for runners now, not spectators.

Susan nice report. To match your 2011 time must have been pleased?

Think I paid ??28 for London? ??65 id be after a 3 course meal in the price

So at London
Wabo
Martin
Khanivore
FRC

At Greece
Jovi
18/04/2013 at 23:46
I'm red start, pen 5. The runners world sub 4 hr pacer will be there so I may stick with him (3:56:00 target time).
18/04/2013 at 23:57

Well done at Brighton Ickle & Susan - brilliant running & race reports! Your race sounds like my last Brighton in 2011 where I ran/walked from mile 20 onwards.

Will be at London on Sunday but cheering at Macmillan cheerpoint on Embankment at mile 25 rather than running, so will look out for Wabo, Martin & FRC. #1 son is running - his first (& last) Mara. He's been training since Xmas but different schedule to my usual - only done 2 x 20's whereas I usually do 5. Hope he will be OK. He's 23 & fit but always a worry... Has raised nearly £700 for Macmillan - for his mum.

Actually signed up for a race! Local 10k in Oxfordshire in June. OH is running it too so doing some coaching with her as she normally only does treadmill. Up to 2.5 miles, 3 this weekend.

Stay safe VLM peeps. Time for Howard's poem?

19/04/2013 at 07:20

Good Luck to Wabo, Martin, Khanivore and FRC. Hope you get the times you want.

Did just over 9M last night. Hopefully get another 3Hr run in over the weekend.

19/04/2013 at 07:27

Wow £65 for Brighton. That’s a lot when you need 2 entries and stop over for a couple of nights.

Still got to have a word with Mrs Eskimo about maybe doing Chester Marathon, just got to get round Windermere in one piece and then see how I feel.

19/04/2013 at 08:02
Hello Didds.. Only 2x20 milers ... How slack! The guy I ended up sitting next to on the wall in Brighton at the end had done 1x half marathon THE WEEKEND before ... So your boy sounds in much better shape ... And I have done 12 on ONE 20 miler ...

To be honest FRC was very surprised time exactly the same ... Was hotter for sure in 2011 in a way on paper should have been quicker this year but then aybe the training in such cold to running in warmer temps .. Who knows. Was happy with it though. Under 4.30 is my general aim these days .. Unless conditions perfect.
19/04/2013 at 09:06

Good luck to Wabo, Martin, Khanivore and FRC this weekend!  I'll be along the route somewhere cheering you on

£65 is super expensive! + trains + hotels.. I'm going to enter the London Ballot and search for a backup if I don't make it in. 

19/04/2013 at 09:11

Great report Susan - like that sign.

Not long for London runners now. Anyone been to the expo yet?

19/04/2013 at 10:55
Going to expo this afternoon quickly then tomorrow, meet up with martin. Khanivore has been though.

I had a running dream last night.
For some reason I was doing the 10000m with Mo Farah also. Miles behind but Mo dropped out at the half way mark so I was the only GB athlete left. Never going to win but on for a PB and crowd cheering.. Everything in slow motion and chariots of fire music going ... then...
At which point our new cat jumped on the bed and woke me up. Guess I'll find out the rest Sunday? Exciting !

7350 if you want to stalk.
19/04/2013 at 11:02

Went to the expo yesterday. It is my first time at a marathon expo and i was shocked at how commercial it is. Also the quality of some of the stalls was much lower than I thought they would allow. I managed to avoid getting sucked in to buying anything much - I did buy a roller called 'The Stick' but I am still glad I bought it the following morning I managed to sample every single type of energy food at least twice I think Cliff had the widest array on offer for sampling and it was quite yummy.

I had a gait analysis on the puma stand which just told me what i already knew. However, it was my first time trying 4mm heel drop shoes and i loved them. I was able to mid foot strike with ease and will buy a pair (not necessarily the ones i tried) after the marathon. I also spent a long time talking with a nutritionist at Lucozade which was a real eye opener. I'm way under budget for carbo loading it seems She did help me work out a race nutrition strategy.

There are pace bands available at the lucozade stand. Also, if you visit the runners world stand you can find out about the pacers and which pens they will be in. Red pen 5 has a sub-4 pacer in it who I will try to follow. 

19/04/2013 at 11:08

and I'm that very pacer Khanivore....! See you on the start, and good luck.

And I really wouldnt worry about the carb loading and being "under budget", I think people make far too big a deal of it and generally over load. An important strategy for fuelling during the race is the important one....

19/04/2013 at 11:23

Bartholomew - are you the 9 min mile pacer in Red 5? The name on the card I have is Alistair Mitchell. He has the most awesome mantra too - pacers have tasers lol. Is that you under a different name?

19/04/2013 at 11:38

There are two of us pacing the 9mm from Red 5, I'm the other! (JR)

Edited: 19/04/2013 at 11:40
19/04/2013 at 11:44

Fantastic!!! Pleased to make your aquintance and i look forward to meeting you at the start line. What's your mantra then? Can you beat the taser one? lol. 

Thanks for the tips about carbo loading. I think you are right but i'm eating this cake no matter what! So can you give some of your tips on during the race fuelling? Two fo us went to the Lucozade stand during the expo and got differing advice

One last question - what will you do if we end up running below pace in the first couple of miles due to traffic? How many miles will you play catchup over?

19/04/2013 at 11:52

Ahhh i get the JR initials now Thank heavens for wikipedia yarrrrrrrrr me hearties! 

19/04/2013 at 11:56

"Time is relative, distance is absolute"

People get spooked by carb loading and spend days eating pasta and bloating etc, just up carbs a bit the couple of days before hand and you'll be fine.

On race day fuelling, it is all very individual, and find what works for you, but don;t leave it too late to get calories down you, be consistent. I wouldnt recommend anyone rely on just getting by on a gel at the two gel stops and the odd bit of lucozade (unless they have trained doing that). Take enough gels/jelly babies/marmite sandwiches with you and get them down at regular intervals.

My experience of pacing at London is that first half a mile might be a bit cloggy but not too bad. We'll come in at mile one on time or very close, if we drop 10 seconds or so, we'll make it up gently,  but don't worry, we wont be sprinting off anywhere. Plus, this year we have huge flags attached to us so don't worry about losing us in the crowd - you wont!

Most importantly of all, ENJOY YOURSELVES. It's going to be a lot of fun, the atmosphere at London is unbeatable.

19/04/2013 at 11:57
Khanivore wrote (see)

Ahhh i get the JR initials now Thank heavens for wikipedia yarrrrrrrrr me hearties! 

Ha, The J isnt that J, but close

19/04/2013 at 12:05

Haha thanks Bart Great advice and i feel calmer already! I'm happy excited as opposed to scared excited.

Just need to work out if I'm going to change my running vest now - it has a cartoon of Rolf harris all over the back and a smaller one on the front because he did the artwork for the kids charity i am supporting. Found out this morning he's been pulled by the police for questioning about child abuse

19/04/2013 at 13:03

oh my how excited does all this talk make me feel!!

Khanivore, Oh blimey thats a problem!

hope everyone is ok and those doing the VLM hope you are tip top! I am, and it feels good!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.