sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

64,901 to 64,920 of 66,912 messages
19/04/2013 at 11:38

There are two of us pacing the 9mm from Red 5, I'm the other! (JR)

Edited: 19/04/2013 at 11:40
19/04/2013 at 11:44

Fantastic!!! Pleased to make your aquintance and i look forward to meeting you at the start line. What's your mantra then? Can you beat the taser one? lol. 

Thanks for the tips about carbo loading. I think you are right but i'm eating this cake no matter what! So can you give some of your tips on during the race fuelling? Two fo us went to the Lucozade stand during the expo and got differing advice

One last question - what will you do if we end up running below pace in the first couple of miles due to traffic? How many miles will you play catchup over?

19/04/2013 at 11:52

Ahhh i get the JR initials now Thank heavens for wikipedia yarrrrrrrrr me hearties! 

19/04/2013 at 11:56

"Time is relative, distance is absolute"

People get spooked by carb loading and spend days eating pasta and bloating etc, just up carbs a bit the couple of days before hand and you'll be fine.

On race day fuelling, it is all very individual, and find what works for you, but don;t leave it too late to get calories down you, be consistent. I wouldnt recommend anyone rely on just getting by on a gel at the two gel stops and the odd bit of lucozade (unless they have trained doing that). Take enough gels/jelly babies/marmite sandwiches with you and get them down at regular intervals.

My experience of pacing at London is that first half a mile might be a bit cloggy but not too bad. We'll come in at mile one on time or very close, if we drop 10 seconds or so, we'll make it up gently,  but don't worry, we wont be sprinting off anywhere. Plus, this year we have huge flags attached to us so don't worry about losing us in the crowd - you wont!

Most importantly of all, ENJOY YOURSELVES. It's going to be a lot of fun, the atmosphere at London is unbeatable.

19/04/2013 at 11:57
Khanivore wrote (see)

Ahhh i get the JR initials now Thank heavens for wikipedia yarrrrrrrrr me hearties! 

Ha, The J isnt that J, but close

19/04/2013 at 12:05

Haha thanks Bart Great advice and i feel calmer already! I'm happy excited as opposed to scared excited.

Just need to work out if I'm going to change my running vest now - it has a cartoon of Rolf harris all over the back and a smaller one on the front because he did the artwork for the kids charity i am supporting. Found out this morning he's been pulled by the police for questioning about child abuse

19/04/2013 at 13:03

oh my how excited does all this talk make me feel!!

Khanivore, Oh blimey thats a problem!

hope everyone is ok and those doing the VLM hope you are tip top! I am, and it feels good!

19/04/2013 at 13:04

Bartholomew I was just about to say the same thing about carb loading. By eating well in the few days leading up to the race you're carb loading by default because you're not using it up by running/training.  Also, the glycogen stores in the liver/muscles aren't that big (so don't take THAT much to fill up).  If they were huge no one would run out of juice at 18/20 miles.

There's also a lot of water storage associated with fat storage (which would be the result of too much carb loading)  and all that extra fat and water would just make you feel fat and sluggish.

Just eat wel, stay off your feet and get some sleep!

19/04/2013 at 16:36

cheers hen good advice

19/04/2013 at 16:37

sorry and Bartholomew of course!

19/04/2013 at 18:00
Very exciting ... Have 9 people to follow ! Very exciting. Sitting waiting for Martin to arrive. Going out and leaving him tonight though, hope he does not mind. He has a nice bed and Gordon will make a nice pasta bake for him tomorrow . And I will get up and drive him to tube Sunday morning.

Nice and cool still in London, had jumper and coat on today. Jovi safely ensconced in Greece ready for her marathon ...

2 more sleeps! !
19/04/2013 at 20:56

Good Luck on Sunday all you Runners iam well envious, not Done a Marathon since Dublin 2010, but iave entered Brighton for next year so need to up my game over the coming months.

19/04/2013 at 21:00
evening all sat in susans with the cat. pacer on the thread!!!

br bit of a fraud on this thread buts its the best. do you know who is pacing 3.45 off blue and if they will also run level pace. after 3.40 so hope to tag along until 9 miles and then push on
19/04/2013 at 21:18

Good luck everyone - have just done my long run so I can sit on t' sofa and cheer with my mouth open

19/04/2013 at 23:24
Jeepers... Must remember to wish all you VLM people good luck tomorrow...

In case I forget - GOOD LUCK!

...oh, and enjoy it...
19/04/2013 at 23:46
And me Dave ... Doing a short run sunday is your man flu gone? And where is Monkey man ? Can't believe he has not popped in to wish me well done for #12
20/04/2013 at 06:18
Sorry I've not been on.

Congratulations to everyone for Brighton - cant believe the sun made an unexpected return!

Good luck for all VLM's tomorrow. I'm heading down to watch it to support a friend and I'll be around at mile 12 and 24. Hope you all enjoy it and the hard months of training pay off. I know they will. Most of all have fun x
20/04/2013 at 08:55
Yes, be brilliant, everyone! Stick to your plan and as Martin 24601 would say, you're brilliant just to be doing it and finishing it. Xx
20/04/2013 at 10:38
WT hope to see you

7350 blue pen 3, running kit like this but with Martin on front too.

Aiming for around 3:15-3:20 pace, but calf a bit tight so may have to back off... Resting today now.
Edited: 20/04/2013 at 10:41
20/04/2013 at 12:10

Wabo, what number are you again? I'll be painting my flat during the marathon. Suddenly my flat mate is moving out and I'm selling my flat! All systems go for wedding on Saturday, October 26th, 2013. Oh my goodness me!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.