sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

64,981 to 65,000 of 67,865 messages
24/04/2013 at 07:19
bless you LO 65 sounds perfect, so did you do a negative split? Do you get AMA ..amazing for age? Or AOFA absolutely outstanding for age? I will aim to keep running like you. Fantastic.. Will have to try a bit harder to keep up with your times !

Bill o Connor who is the teacher at my boys school and member of our club was one of the 15 Ever Present on Sunday, done all 33 Londons. He is 67 and has a bit of a sore knee does not do more than an hour training at a time did 5.32 so not bad.
24/04/2013 at 09:10

Not sure about splits I think my miles were all about the same except for last mile which was very fast(for me). Never felt tired and was able to run next day

So with some proper training I could probably get nearer 4 hours?

I always felt as though I was too slow for this forum but you have been lovely and made me feel one of the gang!

GFA for me at 66 /67 is 5hrs 30. So 4.19 is great

24/04/2013 at 18:14

Well done Susan (again!!) and Ikle on Brighton....Ah sorry you had to pull out!

24/04/2013 at 21:41

LO65 - quite inspirational... well done! 

AH - shame you couldn't be at the RR10 tonight, it was great.... very busy, and much better than last year's opener...

24/04/2013 at 22:50
Amazing LO 65 you must be able to crack 4 !!!

Hello monkey man ... Dave la Fleur is offering to buy us all cocktails ... Thursday 16 th May ... You up for it ? No running involved .....
25/04/2013 at 14:37
Slack Susan wrote (see)
bless you LO 65 sounds perfect, so did you do a negative split? Do you get AMA ..amazing for age? Or AOFA absolutely outstanding for age? I will aim to keep running like you. Fantastic.. Will have to try a bit harder to keep up with your times !

Brilliant Susan!
LO65,you are a legend.  It sounds like your training is really suiting you, so think hard about how to change it.  'Training harder' might lead to injury, so be cautious and conservative.  How marvellous to have such a comfortable run.  Would you want to swap it for a less comfortable sub 4?  I suppose as runners, we'd all prob say yes!

25/04/2013 at 14:41

Sorry - don't know why all of that looks as if it's in quotes.

Agree with FRC re resting at least 4 weeks post mara.  Rest doesn't have to mean sitting on your bum for four weeks. But very little running at first and certainly no running if you don't fancy it, some swimming, cycling/non-impact stuff. No efforts for a month. Just because you're not stiff or achey doesn't mean there isn't carnage inside your muscles and joints.  Your adrenal system takes a pounding and even your central nervous system needs to recover! Give yourself a good rest and you'll be raring to go when you do return.  All that fitness doesn't go anywhere.  For two weeks it's fairly stable, but does start to dribble away after two weeks. But think how fit you are in the first place!  Even with four weeks off and a good recovery you're in better nick than you were four months ago!

25/04/2013 at 14:43

Just doing final preps for big swim tomorrow at Guildford Lido.  I'm in a team of 4 doing 24 miles in 24 hours. Other nutters are doing it solo. Lots of friends going - so should be fun, even if the temp is going to plummet and we're going back to winter.  The pool is a balmy 19degC... not brilliant for swimming in the middle of the night in for the 24 mile swimmers. Can't imagine anything worse...

Am still nervous though.

25/04/2013 at 14:45

Talking about carnage... here's some of the MRI report of my knee:

"Findings:
The anterior cruciate ligament is deficient and there is anterior translation of the tibia on the femur. The posterior cruciate ligament is intact.
There is extensive tear of the medial meniscus. The anterior horn is truncated, consistent with a radial tear and there is extension through the body of the meniscus into a horizontal tear of the posterior horn, with partial extrusion of the body of the meniscus into the medial gutter of the joint.
The medial collateral ligament is thickened, consistent with chronic grade 2 strain. The meniscofemoral portion of the deep medial collateral ligament is torn and retracted, surrounded by fluid on the undersurface of the superficial MCL.
The lateral meniscus is intact. The posterior cruciate ligament is intact.
The proximal attachment of the fibular collateral ligament is thickened and irregular,
suggesting a chronic incomplete tear. The biceps insertion is intact.
The extensor mechanism is intact. There is mild retropatellar chondromalacia in the medial facet.
Small joint effusion is noted."

Lovely!

25/04/2013 at 15:28

Wow AH 24hours swimming? knee doesn't sound good.

AH Definitely something in that for LO65. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Was reading about Alberto Salazar (uber runner in his time, won NY 3 times, Boston and Comrades) and now of course coach to Mo. He got stuck in silly mileage weeks 80, 100 and 120 even 200 miles per week which then seriously affected his immune system and pretty much broke his body in 1980s. Yet in one of his books, he now recommends very slow running and gradual build over a year to 20/30 minute runs. 

Also think of Ed Whitlock 81 years old and doing a sub 3:30 marathon. He runs a couple hours a day very slowly. Only races in the actual marathon, no intervals, speedwork.

Conversely, I had a league race 3 days after VLM last night, legs in surprisingly good nick.

Okay, shoot me. 4 miles in 26 minutes. It was last league race of the season/

Edited: 25/04/2013 at 15:30
25/04/2013 at 21:38

AH how do you feel about that report??

Thank you all for that input! I think running 4.19 in a marathon at 66 and feeling comfy should be enough. 

26/04/2013 at 00:08
It's epic LO 65 FFFA... Which stands for *****ing fantastic for age .. And no I ave not been drinking.

Night all zzzz
26/04/2013 at 06:56

ooh... too much to read in one go!

I'll have to hide at work later and go through it all...

26/04/2013 at 06:56

65k! 

26/04/2013 at 07:17
TOTP Dave .... Morning. Drinks on the 16 th then ?
26/04/2013 at 16:08

well do you get the feeling the marathon madness is over?? very quiet - wonder how AH is getting on ?  When you are back AH can I ask your view on the Florence marathon?  I know you did not have a great run there but an overview of the course etc?

not that I thinking of doing another one until at least October/ NOvember....

Have entered stupidly expensive Olympic park run of 5 miles just so i can run into the stadium  ! 

26/04/2013 at 17:27

Definitely susan,.. a few tumbleweeds are going to post next its that quiet.

Wonder how wonderful AH is doing with the swimming.

The Olympic 5 mile is the £35-40 quid one?

Not sure about autumn marathon, I may be tempted but go for a few ultras instead. Road stuff is a little boring

26/04/2013 at 18:44

Good evening from a tumbleweed.

£35 for a 5 miler.London prices 

26/04/2013 at 20:43

I've reverted back to lurker having not been able to do much running since marathon day. Poor little legs are just not happy with me. 

I was considering the Olympic park run as well, but I already have a triathlon that day and am trying to limit 'event spend' at the moment so probably for the best.

I've decided on entering the London Marathon Ballot for next year and if I don't get in to do the Chester Marathon. Sorted.

LO65 - you are my new hero. My long term dream is to do an Iron Man when I'm 70.  

26/04/2013 at 22:37

Never been a hero before!!

Do Chester with me as I am already doing it.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.