sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

65,001 to 65,020 of 67,684 messages
26/04/2013 at 23:18

Olympic Park run 27.50 to enter so not as bad as you said .. Will be in Olympic stadium!  went to track tonight .. Lovely evening 

26/04/2013 at 23:25

Susan i signed up for that as well,for the same reason, this running lark is getting expensive.

26/04/2013 at 23:27

by the way is anyone doing Bournmouth?

27/04/2013 at 00:08

Again well done guys. London is pretty crowded and tiring and this winter sucked.

Wabo I did almost same time as you @ VLM 2010 and then at a flat Dutch marathon that autumn where I managed to stay out of the loos...12 mins faster.

But actually I think you should tell us about your training this year. I would love to get a GFA so you are now THE role model. [FX sticks mike under nose]What are the top five factors that contributed most to your performance? 

(FRC btw will be pleased to see that Mo is a kettlebells fan too!)

AH whoa. We never thought you were imagining it but OOO owowow. If I die you can have my meniscus.

27/04/2013 at 11:28

Yes Wabo ... What Fido said ... Can you tell us your top five ?

AH you can have my meniscus too. How are you after your epic swim ... Awesome and mad in equal measure 

27/04/2013 at 14:46

Hey Eastham - I wouldn't do Bournemouth anyway... Run most of the course many times before. Apart from a sea view it's zzzzzzzzz

Susan, yes, drinks on the 16th all being well and I'm not stuck in the Great Pavillion. Was thinking somewhere central... Ideas?

27/04/2013 at 15:26

But a sea view is amazing! Stop asking me, because I'm trying really hard not to run the Bournemouth (or even the whole!) 3 weeks before my wedding! Believe me it is VERY TEMPTING!

In other news, I just ran a kick ass 5K wearing my Brighton Marathon finisher tee shirt. Watch this space. I'm just waiting for the results. I think I just missed my PB by about 5 seconds. Felt good though, Yay!

27/04/2013 at 15:28

Parkrun, I mean. You know what I mean. Ours was well busy today! It was nice to be allowed to run fast with no-one telling me off for it. Heh.

27/04/2013 at 17:06

LO65 - I'll see you at Chester 2014! My race calendar is full up for this year  

I ran park run this morning as well, no exciting PB (I don't think) but I felt nice and strong. I think I had a bit of a post-marathon running phobia, I just needed to kick start my legs with a little race. 

27/04/2013 at 17:55

Yeah, me too AC, So nice to pelt it! =)

27/04/2013 at 17:58

3 of my quarter mile splits were sub 7 minute miles! Mmm, stats.

27/04/2013 at 18:01

24:17. Missed it by 18 seconds. Next time, Penelope... !

27/04/2013 at 18:34

Wuh? Penelope? Nice to see you running well Ikle, no soreness in leg now?

I'm with Fido, Wabo could do sub 4 soon... Keep the training going a little the next few months, pick it up during July-Sept and do an amsterdam, Frankfurt run..

Ps Fido, I'm more a kettle than kb fan. Especially with tea pot, milk & cake nearby.*

* as long as my pt & coach doesn't know this. 32kg kb swings are of course lovely

Remember folks, London ballot is Monday.

27/04/2013 at 19:40

Nice going Ikle... Good to have some speed in your little legs...

New Parkrun starts at Brockenhurst 25th May - boring looking course though - but may give it a go in June.

27/04/2013 at 19:40

Hello everyone!  Am esconsed on sofa with wine and Jack cooking awesome chicken curry.  He's such a good boy. He's also going to collect Charlie after her concert later which means I can go to bed to SLEEP!

Just going to have some lush chicken then will give you the low down on yesterday/last night.  What an event. Priviledged to have been part of something like that.

27/04/2013 at 22:56

Way to go Hen! 

And Ikle 

27/04/2013 at 23:12

Penelope thing was sort of a distorted Pitstop/Hooded Claw mash-up.

28/04/2013 at 11:53

Sorry - crashed out after supper. Slept for ten and a half hours.

Don't know how to start summing up 2swim4life.  Am going to blog about it so will copy you all in on that, and those of you who do FB with me will have seen pics and links to videos etc. 

Swimming a mile isn't hard. Swimming 2 miles isn't hard.  If you're swim fit, even swimming 6 straight miles is doable - I'd give it a go tomorrow.  So why is doing 6 x 1 mile with 3 hours recovery so hard?  It really was.  The water was cold enough to make you cold when you got out - cold air temp obv is part of this and it was breezy, too - then you had to get warm and eat.  Then, because we were a self-supporting relay of 4 we all had buddying duties, too. So actually that meant we couldn't really rest for long between swims because half way through we'd be helping our swimmer prepare, watching them swim, counting their laps etc, then helping them get dry, getting them a hot drink, food and hot water bottle etc. Then a short rest before it was your turn to get ready to swim. 

Obviously in the night it was freezing so it was harder to get warm post-swim, esp with wet hair, sleeping in a tent. A team mate sat in her car at 4am to charge her phone and the windscreen had a hard frost on it. Getting out of a warm sleeping cocoon and down to a swim suit ready to get in was hideous! But thankfully all the winter sea swimming helped with that and at least the water was warmer once you'd swum a length or two.  So the getting cold, getting warm, getting cold again cycle must have taken it out of us physically. Also not a lot of sleeping went on of course. And perhaps because we had some rest between swims, maybe we all swam our miles hard.  I certainly did - partly to not be labelled a slow swimmer, partly to stay warm and partly to push myself to see what I could do. So I was whacked at the end of each mile (ranging from 31 to 33 mins).

The other thing that makes you push is the knowledge that other swimmers - some of them quite good friends - were doing the same thing on the hour, every hour for 24.  No chance to really warm up. No chance to eat properly without risking sickness/cramp.  There were a lot of GI issues similar to those you see in an IM. Thankfully my experiences here probably helped one friend keep going to the end of his 24 miles.

Some of it was magical.  At night, once you were in and vaguely warm, it was rather wonderful.  The lido is 50m long and 10 lanes wide. It had underwater lights, lights from one of the buildings and a couple of portable spotlight stacks. The pool was steaming. The night was clear and there was a huge, almost-full moon to watch when you breathed.

At night when you were lane counting for your swimmer, there was banter, wine gum sharing and hotwater bottle sharing with fellow spotters.  We spotted/buddied for each other (for my 5am spot I lost count within 2 lengths - was delerious I think!) - that was rather lovely. So it was good to see both sides of the show - swimmer and swim buddy.

The event ran brilliantly.  Volunteer lifeguards (WHAT a job... all for free), the ladies who kept a constant supply of hot water for hot drinks and hot water bottles, all marvellous.

Today on FB there are loads of pics and posts about it all which is wonderful. So I do feel that I've had a sort of 'marathon/big event' experience this spring. Hoorah!

Today my shoulders are fine. My mid back and core feel pleasantly worked.  I really worked hard kicking so my quads felt tired yesterday. I slept better last night than I've slept for ages.  Also AR is away so there was no snoring . I didn't go down to the sea today bec

28/04/2013 at 11:53

oooh - back to a traditional short post from AH

28/04/2013 at 13:18

You are totaly amazing LOU words cant do it justice

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.