sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

66,381 to 66,400 of 66,882 messages
02/02/2014 at 18:43

That was my half time Ikle 2 hours 2 mins lots of hills and my 8 th Watford half  

ACoops .. Sounds like the perfect celebrant 

02/02/2014 at 20:57

Well done SS! AC you put me to shame as I'm up to 6 miles long run so far. Unless you count 46 miles 3 weeks ago?!!

03/02/2014 at 14:40
Good long run Susan & ACoops.

Ikle, the 46 miles definitely counts. I'd get your long run up to keep the fitness boost from it going if possible.

5k on Saturday went okay, it's that rare for me to do one that it was a PB by 50 secs, but I've gone faster in league races and 10ks in November /December. Still can't quite shake lurgy, don't feel bad or tired but missing 5-15 secs off top end speed and no sprint finish...my legs were gone by end, slight chest infection maybe. I have sniffles now, so hopefully cold will come & clear it.
Managed 20m yesterday but slow. Rest today. Doing Malta in 3 weeks.
03/02/2014 at 20:56

Thanks FRC. Input much appreciated as I'm a bit all over the place with it. Actually having to do the training is a bit more effort than I'd anticipated. Interesting that the amount of time a past race counts is nought. You have to start proving yourself again straight away. Mentally so difficult. Harrumph. I did my whole run today thinking 'I don't want to do this I don't want to do this I don't want to do this. 

03/02/2014 at 21:49

See you in Malta then FRC! Well - at the start anyway

03/02/2014 at 23:01
Ohhh, thats good news Fido. Photo opportunity!

Ikle, think it was Howard who said, train and do a marathon (or half), you get a boost for 4-6 weeks after. Thats always worked for me, every event. So extend that to a hilly race, 20 miler, trail event, ultra (after a bit of a rest), run or walked,. Remember you did your 5k PB?

You don't have to prove yourself straight away (didn't quite follow that bit), relax, go slow, trail is ideal. I did nothing over 10 miles for 3 weeks after Feb ultra last year, 2nd - 24th. Trail, run/ walk 5-7 miles, maybe meet Skip for a cuppa and cake , then do another 5-8 miles. Meet him at end for a walk? All good.
04/02/2014 at 10:23

FRC take a good wodge of binbags and space blankets for the start - it can be quite cold and windy.

04/02/2014 at 10:59

Isn't it wadge??

04/02/2014 at 21:12

I think wodge or wadge works  

Ikle you have to replace I don't want to do this with "I love this, I am so lucky to be able to run" and then you will float along.

been to track .. 4 th week in a row ... I am the Tin Man 

05/02/2014 at 07:49

True true true. All good. Ran 5k this morning before work with 3 800m intervals quickish but not quick enough. Will attempt a 13 miler at the weekend just to see. Such a necessary stress buster from work at the mo. Maybe X training tonight at the gym too. Strength stuff, squats, etc.

06/02/2014 at 07:34

Ran home from work to beat the tube strike, and met friends for a quick three miles .. Tired legs .. Good photos from Watford half running in big puddles check it out Sussex photography .. My number, 59 ! 

06/02/2014 at 16:30

Hi everyone - wanted to pop in and ask a bit of advice.  I havent been on this forum before because I thought i might be sub 4:30 but since i started running again (after 2 years) in July I think sub 4 at my first marathon (london) is possible. 

My question is around pacing in training when aiming for sub 4.  Ive heard many things for long run being 30 secs or even 2 mins slower than race pace.

Any advice would be good - I dont check my garmin for pace apart from after every mile or two (turned the pace part off!) and run to how i feel.  Up to 18 miles now at 9:30-9:45 pace and felt heavy legs but great really all things considered.  I also did half in 1:44 - although it was largely downhill

06/02/2014 at 19:30

shedboy, I ran my first long run at 'steady pace' at the weekend and felt fine leg wise.  this makes me suspect that you are over doing it, after such a long injury. 

you clearly have natural pace your hm time is testimony to this.  You know you have pace so you do not have to worry about this.  what you do need to concentrate on is endurance, running for close to 4 hours without hitting the wall at mile 21/22.

to achieve this I suggest you slow down on your long runs, bang in a mid week long run of 10 miles plus and run both at 2 mins slower than your 10k pace.  for added endurance training use a back pack every other week or long slow hill running. 

the science behind this is the slow twitch muscle fibres.  do a quick google for further info.

if running two minutes slower is difficult, shorten your stride length and maintain your cadence.  basically tiny steps; feels a bit odd but is less effort.

he's a link re hill training and slow twitch muscle fibres

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDcXPIT380k

n.b many runners who can hit a 1:45 to 1:40 hm but fail to achieve a sub 4 marathon.  most of the time it is down to training too hard during long runs.

for confidence you can always add 2 or 3 long steady runs in the weeks prior to your taper.

06/02/2014 at 19:36

I do my LSR at 10 min miles... Ish or even slower. Not managed sub 4 though yet. 10 mins over. This time!!

06/02/2014 at 21:06

Wow Pete thats amazing advice yeah you are probably right.  I wasnt injured for two years just had enough so became a spin class guru(got fitter than ever).  Thanks Ikle..you doing london?  How is training.

Again Pete brilliant advice thank you so much. 

07/02/2014 at 06:40

I run as slow as I fancy on my long runs. I see them as tests of endurance, damn the speed. Just about to head out for 13 miles before I start work today.. should be fun.

07/02/2014 at 07:18

Thanks will add a sorta long run mid week too not sure about being a speed merchant but my main aim is to finish so endurance has to be top priority...and i love the easy slow runs .. Although they get a bit lonely and i have been known to say good morning to the sheep as well as randomly talking to myself...thats endurance  enjoy your run acoops

07/02/2014 at 09:27
Good running Susan.

Acoops hope weather is okay.

Shedboy your half of 1:44 is recent? You should do sub 4 and below but there are no givens in a marathon. Your pace sounds about right but I'd aim for 9:30-10mm next few weeks as you get up to 20 miles.. Get the endurance right first.. then start adding in some sections at marathon pace at the end as you get nearer to VLM
Mid week runs definitely, I run these at MP or just below. Or as tempo intervals.

I wouldn't bother with the weighted back pack. Too risky.
07/02/2014 at 09:59

Hi Fit running cat - November.  I have enough weighted front pack to contend with so will skip the backpack.  I do have a running belt and am practising gels.  I do tempo runs ... but not enough in my view.  all things being said as long as i get to start line fit and healthy i am not going to beat myself up for a sub 4 but it would be nice

07/02/2014 at 12:41

Thanks Shedboy. I would listen to FRC rather than me, he's the technical expert in these parts. 

It was a bit miserable out this morn, drizzly rain, started in the dark. I talk to myself more than the sheep, though today I had a nice chat with a very kind man who gave me a lift through a flood. Feels good to have my long run out of the way before the weekend has even started - not so great for productivity though. My body is used to lounging about post run, not this whole thinking lark.

Edited: 07/02/2014 at 13:37
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.