sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

66,401 to 66,420 of 67,240 messages
07/02/2014 at 13:41
Acoops, Glad you got your run out of the way. The weekend is all yours.

Plenty of experts on here, Susan, AH, Howard, Martin, Jovi. . Susan knows my love of numbers though. Have done leadership in running fitness, aiming to do full coaching course this year, time permitting with 4-5 marathons and 2-3 ultras planned.

The 2 sessions a week with the Team GB elite athlete are very inspiring though, great variety, so refreshing. Club sessions were getting a little stale and lack of structure for me and even more so mrs FRC. Definitely helping my speed.

Shedboy, sure you'll be fine, sub 4 is well within your range - train well and get to the start line healthy is main aim.
You mention feeling heavy legged after 18 miles, maybe just back off a touch, don't worry about the mile splits, go roughly 9:30-10mm (60-90s approx above race pace) so working the right energy sources. Better to get the long runs in than risk injury, or go too fast and be tired for next session.

For us men, we tend to have more speed and less endurance than ladies, so we dip into those energies to chase the pace on the long run - big mistake. Then come race day we start too fast, then confused when we can't keep the pace going for 26 miles.

Lot to learn on your first marathon, you will make mistakes or something unexpected.. The folks on here will all help. Mine, my half time was faster than yours @1:39, but managed to do 3:48. It's in my blog, PM me or google my RW name.

After 2 lots of speed work and intervals, long run for me this weekend. 16-20. What's everyone else doing?
07/02/2014 at 13:41
Totp!
07/02/2014 at 13:56

Thanks FRC - ive really worked at the long "slow" run - the route i take is exceptionally hilly and the quads feel it big time but i reckon it should put me in good stead for a flat London (or here is hoping!!).  I will concentrate on how i feel.

Did 13 easy today (130 mins and 1 sec ...hows that for 10mm average eh!!) - easier week and then off skiing for a week.

Question - do i simply not run next week (I am supposed to have two easier weeks of 13 milers then the 20's start).  My plan was do the 13 today and on the sunday i get back as in the alps it might be a tad slippy!!!  I'm getting a nervous feeling though that i should try and find a treadmill somewhere and do a couple of runs.  I squeezed a few more runs in this week (bad i know) to compensate but will a week off still exercising set me back? Had booked holiday before i got into London!!!

any advice?

07/02/2014 at 17:05

Hills are supposed to be super amazing for marathons. I am just having my piano tuned by Andy, a semi blind tuner who is also it turns out, running London with a guide and is going for sub 4! So I shall look out for him! What fun! 

Oh, it's so nice people have come back to chat about running again! Martin 24601 has so far run 2 of his 4 marathons and all is well I believe! 

08/02/2014 at 13:52

Oops, spoke too soon. Everybody's gone again. What's the matter; got a LIFE or something!?! 

Boy, is it windy today. Did my 3 miles (had to add on point one, couldn't resist) and doing 13 tomorrow. 

Can't believe my piano tuner's doing VLM, and didn't know that you had to train slower than race pace! 

08/02/2014 at 15:09

Did 15 miles yesterday at 6am to get long run out of the way to head West .. Did an hour on my own prob about 9 min mi,es, go too fast on my own , then met up with mates and slowed down ended up doing 9 miles more slower so overall time 2.30. So much easier and enjoyable running and chatting. That's how I like to pace. 

Then headed to BRISTOL TO see youngest at uni saw Dallas Buyers Club took him for nice steak dinner then to see good mate in a band. THENat 11.30 pm headed down to Cornwall through driving wind and rain. Staying at dear old friends fir a 60 th birthday party near Padstow.. Rick Steins coming .. So lovely to be in Cornwall .. No running for metil Tuesday .. Hurrah .. Rest days ! 

08/02/2014 at 15:34

Well done Susan for your 15 miler. Fab! I never run 9 minute miles by accident! 

Me, Basey and son looked at houses today. Exciting! Trying to adjust to living in middle class housing, to match the rest of me. Heh. 

08/02/2014 at 17:22
Greeting from mk

Welcome new people.

Day 3 of quadzilla complete. Very tired but very proud of what ive achieved. Timrd so far 4.12/4.22 & 4.28 when I arrived wanted sub 5 for each day. Gentle run for sub 18 Sunday will do me nicely
08/02/2014 at 18:31

Martin, that was you I was talking about, if you were wondering. =)

08/02/2014 at 18:41
Thanks Ilke. Been great but think I may have next week off!!!!
08/02/2014 at 21:02

I think you've earned it.

08/02/2014 at 22:25

Hey Ikle ... Well left house at 630 to fly to austria skiing .. Well enough of that...got up at 5 am and did a nice 5 miler .. Not sure why but enjoying the wine even more before a week of not running .... The. Back to some real stuff.  So you are doing london and aiming for sub 4 too?  I did my easy 5 in just bang on 9min 30 pace .. In dark using ipod so i run a wee bit faster i suppose.  I kind of thin i am finally at 5th attempt going to get to the startline of a marathon.  Martin i need to read back the thread as have no idea what youve been doing but going to have a stroll through some of the 3321 pages!!!!

08/02/2014 at 23:27

Good luck Mate!! With the reading I mean!!

09/02/2014 at 05:59
Hi shedboy. Quick summary been on the thread since 2007 when was chasing a sub 4.took me 5 goes (dont ask Susan about 1 of the attempts) have since got my pb down to 3.41 but now looking for new challenge. Comrades in south Africa twice 56 mile ultra and now the quadzilla which is 4 marathons in 4 days. Im poor at posting these dsys but without a doubt with the support u will get your chance of success is higher.you really have some Amazing people to call upon. Enjoy the skiing
09/02/2014 at 10:04

My story is that I did Eden project marathon in Cornwall, my first marathon, and it was a bit of a disaster due to basically going out too fast and my hips hurt. Very hilly bonkers first marathon. 2009 I think. October. Took me a ridiculous 6 hours 40! (My pasty got cold)

Then I got fed up with not getting a London place so decided to run my own Unmarathon, which I completed in 4 hours 10 minutes, but just my own training route to work and back with friends holding up a ribbon in the park, so not official. 

Then ran London anyway and had shocking ITB knee issues in right knee, after experiencing similar after my best PB half effort - of 1 hour 48 minutes 35 seconds. This resulted in a time just under 6 hours because I had to walk the last half! 

I then attempted Edinburgh in 2012 and had to pull out at mile 14 with horrid ITB issues in LEFT knee this time... (tbc)

Edited: 09/02/2014 at 10:05
09/02/2014 at 10:08

THEN I did TRS (Running School) and improved my form immeasurably (had a right foot flick and very overpronatey) which changed my shoe support requirements. 

Then I did Brighton 2013, after text book training, And would you blinking believe it, my knee hurt after 14 miles, but I didn't want another crap time, so I did walk run for the remainder and managed sub 5. Not quite the rolicking victory I'd had in mind. 

09/02/2014 at 10:10

Then I thought, sod this for a laugh, and decided to enter ultras (as you do) Found out that on the soft, my knees were just fine. In the lastest ultra of 45 miles, my knees were fine for 33 miles not a whisper; it was just the last bit on the flat and hard canal path that did for my knees again. 

So this VLM is the happy ending, where I train perfectly, do my knee strengthening exercises, lose weight and get sub 4. The end!!!

09/02/2014 at 10:11

You will wish you never asked, Shed Boy. Oh wait... you didn't! 

09/02/2014 at 15:45

Reading this after firstvday skiing ouch my thighs!!!!.  ITb sucks!  No you see Ikle thats inspirational bloody brilliant and makes me vey aware that despite my half time and hills evenif i dont do sub 4 im just going to keep trying...mind you if i do i may just retire and get fat 

Im 5 years running with 4 .. Yes 4 marathons i failed to even start .. Is being bloody minded a really good idea?  

So hope you do it .. No you will...and how is training going ?

09/02/2014 at 15:47

This thread is like a novel .... So lad to see so many people not letting sub 4 defeat them

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.