sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

66,401 to 66,420 of 67,848 messages
08/02/2014 at 17:22
Greeting from mk

Welcome new people.

Day 3 of quadzilla complete. Very tired but very proud of what ive achieved. Timrd so far 4.12/4.22 & 4.28 when I arrived wanted sub 5 for each day. Gentle run for sub 18 Sunday will do me nicely
08/02/2014 at 18:31

Martin, that was you I was talking about, if you were wondering. =)

08/02/2014 at 18:41
Thanks Ilke. Been great but think I may have next week off!!!!
08/02/2014 at 21:02

I think you've earned it.

08/02/2014 at 22:25

Hey Ikle ... Well left house at 630 to fly to austria skiing .. Well enough of that...got up at 5 am and did a nice 5 miler .. Not sure why but enjoying the wine even more before a week of not running .... The. Back to some real stuff.  So you are doing london and aiming for sub 4 too?  I did my easy 5 in just bang on 9min 30 pace .. In dark using ipod so i run a wee bit faster i suppose.  I kind of thin i am finally at 5th attempt going to get to the startline of a marathon.  Martin i need to read back the thread as have no idea what youve been doing but going to have a stroll through some of the 3321 pages!!!!

08/02/2014 at 23:27

Good luck Mate!! With the reading I mean!!

09/02/2014 at 05:59
Hi shedboy. Quick summary been on the thread since 2007 when was chasing a sub 4.took me 5 goes (dont ask Susan about 1 of the attempts) have since got my pb down to 3.41 but now looking for new challenge. Comrades in south Africa twice 56 mile ultra and now the quadzilla which is 4 marathons in 4 days. Im poor at posting these dsys but without a doubt with the support u will get your chance of success is higher.you really have some Amazing people to call upon. Enjoy the skiing
09/02/2014 at 10:04

My story is that I did Eden project marathon in Cornwall, my first marathon, and it was a bit of a disaster due to basically going out too fast and my hips hurt. Very hilly bonkers first marathon. 2009 I think. October. Took me a ridiculous 6 hours 40! (My pasty got cold)

Then I got fed up with not getting a London place so decided to run my own Unmarathon, which I completed in 4 hours 10 minutes, but just my own training route to work and back with friends holding up a ribbon in the park, so not official. 

Then ran London anyway and had shocking ITB knee issues in right knee, after experiencing similar after my best PB half effort - of 1 hour 48 minutes 35 seconds. This resulted in a time just under 6 hours because I had to walk the last half! 

I then attempted Edinburgh in 2012 and had to pull out at mile 14 with horrid ITB issues in LEFT knee this time... (tbc)

Edited: 09/02/2014 at 10:05
09/02/2014 at 10:08

THEN I did TRS (Running School) and improved my form immeasurably (had a right foot flick and very overpronatey) which changed my shoe support requirements. 

Then I did Brighton 2013, after text book training, And would you blinking believe it, my knee hurt after 14 miles, but I didn't want another crap time, so I did walk run for the remainder and managed sub 5. Not quite the rolicking victory I'd had in mind. 

09/02/2014 at 10:10

Then I thought, sod this for a laugh, and decided to enter ultras (as you do) Found out that on the soft, my knees were just fine. In the lastest ultra of 45 miles, my knees were fine for 33 miles not a whisper; it was just the last bit on the flat and hard canal path that did for my knees again. 

So this VLM is the happy ending, where I train perfectly, do my knee strengthening exercises, lose weight and get sub 4. The end!!!

09/02/2014 at 10:11

You will wish you never asked, Shed Boy. Oh wait... you didn't! 

09/02/2014 at 15:45

Reading this after firstvday skiing ouch my thighs!!!!.  ITb sucks!  No you see Ikle thats inspirational bloody brilliant and makes me vey aware that despite my half time and hills evenif i dont do sub 4 im just going to keep trying...mind you if i do i may just retire and get fat 

Im 5 years running with 4 .. Yes 4 marathons i failed to even start .. Is being bloody minded a really good idea?  

So hope you do it .. No you will...and how is training going ?

09/02/2014 at 15:47

This thread is like a novel .... So lad to see so many people not letting sub 4 defeat them

09/02/2014 at 16:22

And ikle i am not sure what a pasty is and how did it get cold 

09/02/2014 at 16:38

Sorry another post .. Feel like a spammer but on another beer and on a roll 

Martin - thanks for that great story yes i think i have found the board for my next two months support and help ... Im probably more sub 430 but if i start slow i hope my strategy gets me sub 4 ... But readin some of this thread most people tend to set off at london like a bat out of hell.  One thing my experience so far has taught me is first 3 in a long run are a warm up...if i go fast im rubbish after 10.

09/02/2014 at 16:47

Have done 12 maras shed boy but only one sub 4 .. But as people will tell you I don't do loads of mikes in training .. Hence my name but to be honest it's enough for me. Done more cross country this season, that's def helped with stamina. 

09/02/2014 at 17:04

I was wondering about the username...i will admit the real reason isnt as exciting as i had made up in my own mind 

Me neither and you know its working better for me 3 runs a week with the odd one off but im consistently low mileage 

12 maras wow really hope i can get some nuggets from you to help my first.  Completing london will be a PB no matter what so thats my first aim.  As im a lazy sod sub 4 would allow me to retire

09/02/2014 at 17:09

Well, I have just inadvertently run a 15.2 mile LSR owing to myself getting a bit lost on a 'one road up, one road back' run! So I had to add on a couple just to get home! Better, FRC??!

SB, a pasty is a very Cornish pie made from beef, onion, swede and potato plus pastry.,

09/02/2014 at 17:11

Served warm or hot. Obviously it was cold cos I was so late! Last (pattern forming here! Ultra last place too!) SB, how come you didn't get to the start line 4 times?

Edited: 09/02/2014 at 17:12
09/02/2014 at 17:15

Yes, it's amazing and heartening to know how many on this thread have taken multiple attempts to do sub 4 and then gone onto all sorts of even more amazing things!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.