sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

66,841 to 66,858 of 66,858 messages
14/04/2014 at 11:35

It was an ... experience! Hot n crowded and not particularly fast for a multiplicity of reasons, not least pesky knees. But I enjoyed it and learnt lots.

I ran 4:45:11 which I was ultimately chipper about.

Today I signed up for the Stroud marathon, ACoops, so if I am not pregnant, I will be running it!! Could be another whole heap of trouble, because it says it's hilly/undulating. But I'm so ready for a race that is soft underfoot, because then there's no knee issues. Mind you, first marathon (Eden - Cornwall - Very hilly! - was an issue in itself because my hips struggled because of the hills - could be another entirely different disaster story!!!)

Race report to follow! I had a blast and as I say, learnt lots. Amazing run from Jovi and Tutu Much and a lady I know from my parkrun who did it in 3 hours 2!!! Keraaaazy. 

Today I am mainly lounging around in onesie with whiskers (?) And missing Basey. He was a sight for sore eyes at the end, I can tell you. Takes a special kind of man to be waiting at A/B meet point and not even wince at the crowds! 

14/04/2014 at 11:36

YAY! TOTP! (Please say that is correct!?!) Woo hoo! =) That's the real victory! 

14/04/2014 at 13:59

Hi all. Than ks for all the good wishes. I had a great day yesterday and after two successive disasters at London have finally well and truly banished the London marathon demons. Other than my first marahton (London 2008) this was the favourite of all the other 26! Loved it from start to finish - the crowds, the weather (cant believe I actually enjoyed the heat!), seeing Mo and the super elites just after Tower Bridge. Kept thinking it was all going too well and I'd fade but felt good all the way and ecstatic to clock 3:28:20 for my second sub 3:30 in 8 days  which far exceeded anything I thought I'd manage. Thanks to everyone who was has supported and encouraged me over the last few years on this thread and yesterday on the course - I managed to miss everyone that was cheering me on the day - then again, without my specs on I cant see very much close up!

Edited: 14/04/2014 at 14:00
14/04/2014 at 17:29

Yay! Well done, Jovi. You done good. =)

14/04/2014 at 18:31

Here is my race report, though I feel quite self-obsessed and over-stated posting it in such a hurry, since I didn't really do a fabulous time like Jovi and Tutu and Susan and Khanivore and just about everyone else on this thread at some point! But I learned a lot and am keen to splurge it out of my brain for a peruse to any who may be interested... and, well, you know, catharsis, all that. 

Race report #moustachewatch 13.4.14.

I got to the start, bagged checked in, by about 9:20. I was queuing up for the toilet until really close to 10am. Fascinating! By the time I crossed the start line, it was about 10:20. Anyway, back a bit.

While waiting to start, I met a lovely lady called Jane who was also running for Age UK. It was her first marathon and she was really lovely and excited so we stuck together. She was also at red start but further back at pen 8. I was at pen 3, but ended up starting from pen 8 just so we could start together. Funny thing was, I lost her right away because I was running a different speed to her, so I didn’t see her again after we started. Being far back meant that it was hard to overtake and consequently I ran slower from the beginning, but I honestly don’t think that this delayed me in the grand scheme of things. Who knows? It may even have improved my time a little in the, quite literal, ‘long run’. I knew it was a bad, energy wasting idea to try and go round people to overtake them, so I bided my time. 

14/04/2014 at 18:32

I was running about 9:30 miles for the first few miles and it was already very hot. Felt the first flittering ghost of knee pain (in other knee) after about 4 miles and in the left, usual knee after about 7 or 8. To be honest, I started to struggle with pace before this, and I had the conscious thought quite early on in the race that I didn’t really think I was going to manage sub 4 or anything really close even. Not sure of the reasons. SPEED (lack thereof), maybe?!!

I think I got in, waded through, and retreated back out of The Doldrums relatively quickly this time. I never wanted to cry in disappointment at any stage, which is a move forward from previous marathons. I had some interesting moments, thoughts, revelations even at certain stages:

I really really noticed this time how very crowded it was. It put me in mind of something that FRC has said in the past about London not really being an ideal marathon to PB in, because of the crowds. This was certainly the case for me, being further back, but as I’ve said, this wasn’t one of the main reasons for not even finishing close to 4. At a point, quite early on, I think I came to the realisation that I’m not even sure I’m capable any more of a sub 4. I’m just not fast enough. So I think going through this mind stage made the rest more enjoyable because I could switch to Plan B. 

14/04/2014 at 18:32

Plan B was to beat my official marathon PB which was only 4:55, so perfectly doable. The fact that I managed this by just under 10 minutes was another of the reasons why I was happy at the end. The other reasons are as follows: 1) My knees hurt less once I’d got some paracetomol from St John Ambulance. I actually was redeemed with some pain-free running, for about maybe 2 or 3 miles after I’d taken the painkillers. 2) When I did that stretch that gets your ITB (making a number 4 shape with offending leg placing it on the other leg) it did actually really alleviate the pain and I could run for between a third and half a mile without any pain after doing that, which predictably I did more often as the race progressed. This was quite exciting because, practically speaking, it meant I could keep a half decent pace as long as I kept doing the stretch. I even did a really respectably paced penultimate mile, which is SO different to experiences in the past when I’ve gradually ground to a hobbling halt by the end.

The best thing, apart from all the other best things already mentioned, was that I managed to speed up at the end and did lots of overtaking of other people who were basically just walking. I never ever resorted to walking and I’m so so pleased about that! And everybody thought my moustaches were very hilarious. But you knew that …

Had a great chat with my brother afterwards – he loved coming to watch his first London marathon (Yes! I did see him and my sister in law and niece!) He remains convinced that I could run a marathon without knee pain, and hence a lot faster, if I had a mid-foot running technique instead of heel strike. Hmmm… 

Edited: 14/04/2014 at 19:46
14/04/2014 at 20:42

He remains convinced that I could run a marathon without knee pain, and hence a lot faster, if I had a mid-foot running technique instead of heel strike. Hmmm… 

mid foot strike worked wonders for me ickle.  literally wonders.  try you tubing 'che running' and spend an hour watching the various demonstrations. I have no more tight it bands and as I get fitter my times have plummeted.

to be honest physio has helped too but because I am now more efficient the ponding is not as bad and therefore not as much pressure through the joints anway.

hope you don't mind me making a suggestion too, but definitely take it easier during your taper, you have done your hard work the 12 weeks earlier - taper is about recovery so that you have energy and to allow your body to improve come race day. 

14/04/2014 at 20:54

No that's cool, Pete. Thanks. Something to think on't. 

14/04/2014 at 21:49

Great race report and you did a brilliant race. I'm another advocate of the mid/forefoot strike. After having plantar fascitis about 3 years back (London marathon disastrous marathon no.1! ) I switched to forefoot training when I started back after the injury and have had no reoccurence of the PF as I really find it's less punishing on the legs/joints.

Edited: 14/04/2014 at 21:51
15/04/2014 at 10:10

Well done Ikle - nice race report. I'm glad you're happy with your run - very excited that you have entered Stroud! I'm off on my last long long run today, aiming for 22 miles. 

Amazing time Jovi, I'm glad you've banished the London demons. 

I've noticed I've been midfoot striking more lately - until I get tired and go back to stomping..

15/04/2014 at 10:19

Well done Ikle, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Well done Jovi you are just amazing and so pleased you had a good run in London at last - it is the best.

15/04/2014 at 11:17

jovi what an amazing time you did!! Happy for you

ikle well, you have had such a triumphant marathon and I loved your report!

I also try to mid strike as much as I can but like coops I notice the stomp when I am tired

painful Achilles at the mo so stretching needed...

15/04/2014 at 12:14
Jovi, I kind of forgot you did another sub 3:30 marathon the week before!

In other news I ran 2.5 miles with a mid foot strike this morning and felt like an elephant ballerina. I'm sure this means I must be doing it right!!
15/04/2014 at 17:41

I tried running 5 miles concentrating on mid-strike this morning. Felt like I was putting more effort in but I ended up running at a faster pace. I knocked a good three minutes off my best time for this year. I might keep trying it.

Do we know how Tutu did on Sunday?

Edited: 15/04/2014 at 17:45
15/04/2014 at 17:48
Yes. She done good. I don't know if it's in the rules for me to say?!
Yesterday at 15:07

Been reading but not able to post!! 

Well done everyone on London I managed 4.29 slowest time at London but thrilled to have got under 4.30, and could not have gone any quicker!

Yesterday at 22:25

You are amazing, LO 65 I am still thrilled to get under 4.30 and you have a dozen years on me.. Awesome.. How long ago did you do your first and how many have you done? ( if you don't mind me asking ) 

saw aw an interview at start of London with an 82 year old lady and 89 year old man, they were full of the joys, incredible. Just hope I will still be running than 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
66,841 to 66,858 of 66,858 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.