sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

81 to 100 of 67,404 messages
10/09/2003 at 12:19
This place sounds like it should be my forum home. Just had my half marathon debut in Stockholm finishing in 1h 44m 55secs (I will scream if another non-runner says 1 hour 45 then - those 5 seconds are very important to me!) so a sub 4 seems about right. It felt like I could have knocked a few more mins from my time if i had started in a faster pen, but seeing as this will be my first proper marathon and I am not sure how my winter training will go, sub 4 seems a reasonable target.
kg
11/09/2003 at 16:25
my training is going so so at the moment
have got 3 10k coming up over the next month
then its the DUBLIN MARATHON so i should
know if i can manage under the 4hr.mark.
11/09/2003 at 17:12
well i had a lapse and didn't get out for a week,during which time i incurred mild shin/calf injury from the steps up notre dame in paris.as a result i went out very tentatively yesterday and got a 5 3/4 miler done but it was warm and creaky work to keep up the speed to 9 min/mile-i think doing a half in 8 30 to get to 1 51 or so is going to be too much to ask over the hills of windsor.17 days to go,i thinks its something speedy and short tomorrow,and a long slow 15 on sunday morning to get rid of the previous night's excesses-off to wembley to see the stones...
11/09/2003 at 19:34
Here we go again...

Perhaps set my sights too high aiming for 3:45 last year. Fell over at 3 and twisted my ankle, which didn't help much, and came in at 4:07. Sub-4 or bust for me.
WildWill    pirate
11/09/2003 at 22:06
After the GNR i'll nbe starting base training - i'll be alternating my long runs between 12miles and 20miles
12/09/2003 at 17:29
I'd love to run sub 4hr next year. Managed 4.17 in April and my recently ran 1.51 for the Glasgow 1/2. I'm going to change my trainig a bit this time around but still haven't decided what schedule to follow. I'm allready excited and it's months away...
Next biggie is Amsterdam 1/2 in Oct, then slowly building up the miles..
14/09/2003 at 16:37
Nottingham half completed in 1.59. Happy with that considering heat and longest I've been since April.

Hopefully take a few minutes off it at Liverpool next month. Should be cooler and likelihood of having my trainers stolen if I dawdle should ensure a faster run ;-)
18/09/2003 at 14:52
good luck dr g.i'm now feeling excited rather than nervous about windsor,the urwfrc has got a beer tent organised and i've stopped worrying too much about trying to set a new pb,my shin is still hurting and i feel pretty uncomfortable going at faster than 9 min miling at the moment.perhaps a week off would help....
i definitely need to up my mileage after this clears up.i only did about 18 mile/week in run up to last year,and i reckon i need to get that up to 25 or so.that would also help keep the weight down,i've put on 10 lbs since april cos of droppping the long w/e run,(although i have done a 10 and a 13 the last two weekends and will do another 10 on sunday),which in turn has made my achilles more grumbly....
24/09/2003 at 15:21
for all those who are thinking they have it rough

i am in intensive physio at the moment. cannot run a mile and am 2.5 stones (35 lbs)heavier than when i last ran sub 4 hrs

superhuman effort required me thinks

26/09/2003 at 16:06
good luck with the physio wwr.whats the problem?i have put on a stone since this years flm and i've kept up a reasonable amount of running.just haven't been doing the weekend long ones.but perhaps i need to cut down the food and drink too....
windsor half on sunday,then i will take up greater residence here...hopefully a new pb of around 1.55 is on,but it is threatening to rain which is dull.have had a stinking cold this week...
29/09/2003 at 12:53
bad hip - arguably caused by being a fat porker.

still if all goes well, i'll be jogging by the end of the week after 9 months off

how did the Windsor half go, btw
Bod
29/09/2003 at 16:30
Entry form sent in, was worried for a while when I'd lost the entry form sent in the post, then none of the first 3 sports shops I went in had them, finally tracked one down and am looking forward to checking my accounts in Nov/Dec to see if cheques been cashed. If so, i'll be doing well, since I got through on the ballot last year as a first timer. Otherwise I may have to rely on a club place being available.
M.
29/09/2003 at 16:49
Just sent my form in. Put 4hrs on the form - this might be a bit optimitstic but I don't really know.

My first marathon if I get in - if not I'll probably be aiming for Paris the week before.

All excited now - so you'd best prepare for the barrage of stupid questions from the first timer.....

M xx
M.
29/09/2003 at 23:09
Bod - I've been really lucky and got in through the ballot on the two occasions I've entered. Didn't think I had a chance last year having got a place in 2002 but got in. Don't think I've got a chance this year with my jammy 100% record but you never know. Failing that there's a chance of a club place and failing that maybe a marathon abroad, possibly Madrid.
30/09/2003 at 09:12
you could always run another GB marathon.... there are a fair few around that time from memory
30/09/2003 at 09:18
M.

I have Paris as my back up plan too. It's on 4 April I think.
M.
30/09/2003 at 10:03
Dr Galah - you're right! It was the week before last year but is two weeks before this year. Hmmm that means my RW 15 week training programme would start before Christmas! Ouch....
M.
30/09/2003 at 12:04
I remember getting up and running on Xmas morning last year - only saw one person in an hour!!

My New Years Day morning run was less successful - lasted about 4 strides before I dashed into the bushes!

It's all well and good, but this running malarkey certainly eats into your social time!
30/09/2003 at 14:55
I started running last year (got to fat & couldn’t afford to buy new cloths). Have now applied to do my first ever flm (something to do with being 40 next July).

Would be grateful for any tips on training methods, have started doing one outdoor run per week (last night did 8.2 miles in 1hr 8mins not sure if that’s good), I also do three tread mill runs per week along with some weight stuff.

Also if anyone knows of a running club in the Orpington area would love to hear.

Any help will be gratefully accepted
30/09/2003 at 15:50
Simon - there is a heck of a lot going on in the Orpington area. Check the City/SWLondon as well as the Beckenham threads in Beginners - we often meet up at Farnborough Church on Sundays and run through High Elms. Everyone is welcome. Also, a few of us run with the Orpington Road Runners on Tue evenings - the club is really informal, caters for all abilities and meets at the Buff in Green Street Green at 8pm.
81 to 100 of 67,404 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.