sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

all welcome

101 to 120 of 67,463 messages
M.
30/09/2003 at 16:00
Simon - it'll be my first FLM too - something to do with being 30 in Feb. Amazing how these age milestones make you want to do something new.

M.
30/09/2003 at 17:17
You can count me in as well.
im not doing the Flora, i will be doing one in France a week after the flora.
It will be my first one...awwww!! (that is if i survive tough guy...)
01/10/2003 at 18:35
M, Tostaky, good luck to you both, keep us updated on your training progress just knowing that there are other slightly mad people made my run tonight a little easier.
M.
02/10/2003 at 10:11
Simon - I'm starting my training programme in November with a month in New Zealand. Lots of hills and open space to run around in!

Until then I'm carrying on 10K training ready for Brighton...
M.
02/10/2003 at 10:48
M, sounds great, New Zealand is on my list of must go there one day ever since I watched Lord of the Rings
03/10/2003 at 13:38
afternoon all.well windsor was tougher than i had hoped,i was shaking off a streaming cold and although i thought it was gone i felt really wretched after 3 miles and almost quit.luckily i persisted,settled down and got home in 2.00.20-so outside my pb and a fair way short of where i'd like to get to...but i'd have bitten your arm off if offered that time at half way.i think the lesson from a tough course is that i need to do better quality runs in training as well as upping the mileage,i need to get my comfortable ambling pace from 9 to 8 min/mile.so flm starts for me this weekend,probably just a quick 5 or so,but pushing rather than shambling...
M.
03/10/2003 at 13:47
oooh - i'd give a fair bit for 2.00.20 - current pb is 2.11ish

i was spectating at windsor and it looked hard - that last mile looked long even from where we were - so congrats and good luck with the training!
M.
03/10/2003 at 13:53
thanks M.that last mile-although it was sharply downhill and the fastest of the race for me-a sprightly 8.09,felt like the longest because of the foreshortening-it looked like 500m,and i did think i had a chance of sneaking under 2 for most of it!
weather was good,cool and a little light drizzle at times,not too cold,but it was hillier than i remembered from last year-the big hills i had remembered right,but more of the 'undulations' felt tougher this year...
03/10/2003 at 15:23
the secret on runs which have a long straight start and finish is to time yourself on the straight on the way out. that way no surprises on the way back.

slough half used to have a 4 minute starting/fininshing straight which was always good to know.

last year at the windsor half, i timed myself on the the long straight, 7 minutes or something - then on the way back..... one guys opened up just as we hit the straight - i thought, not a bloody chance of sustaining that, this early. rightly so - i aught him up 4 mihnutes later - he was dying.

now then, physio session today featured 6 minutes jogging!! wow so maybe i'm back in the saddle.

and alex you are right. i reckon you need to be able to hit 8.30 miles for about 20 miles and then grin and bear the rest, so looking at 8 m/ms for anthing less than 10 is about right.

i will definitely have to get the "cruising speed" picked up. next task is to lose the sack of potatoes round my waist

good luck
M.
03/10/2003 at 16:26
8.30 m/ms for 20 miles!

i'm off to the get you round thread....
M.
03/10/2003 at 16:56
|Simon - yeah i like the saying "I run therefore Im nuts"...
07/10/2003 at 11:16
first runs today after 9 months out

12 minutes - nearly killed me - and could still feel the hip injury (or am i imagining it??)

yikes!!
07/10/2003 at 11:43
quick quiz question-does anyone have the elctronic version of the rw 4 day a week sub 4 schedule from last springs mag?the programmes on this site all seem to be the 5-6 day standard rw ones...off to the gym at lunchtime,i think its hills time.
07/10/2003 at 11:45
and well done wwr,the longest journey starts with the shortest step,isn't that right?
07/10/2003 at 12:02
Alex

I certainly have last springs mags, so let me dig this out at the weekend (think its in the loft), scan it in and send it to you.

Anyone doing the Liverpool Half? I could do with a running partner on the day aiming for a 1.50.
07/10/2003 at 12:09
hi alex

if you want that sub 4 - then i reckon you have to do the 5 day a week version.

the best one they ever published was about three years ago and it helped me crack the big 4 (by 97 seconds)!!

don't think i would have done it on 4 days a week - being a bit of a carthorse - but porve me wrong. good luck on the hills!

07/10/2003 at 15:41
wwr back from gym i suspect you are probably right-hills had to be done on the stairwalker,the shin is playing up.time for a visit to the doc i think,just to check it out.maybe time for some new shoes,though mine have only done about 250 miles...
and sorry dr g i'm some way from liverpool...
09/10/2003 at 12:32
6 x 1.5 miles this week plus back-breaking physio.

all awful

lack of fitness, extreme weight and trapped sciatic nerve all contributing to even greater discomfort than that felt by IDS this week, i suspect.

just too many excuses to run slowly or stop at the moment.

yuk
09/10/2003 at 12:43
Never mind WwR, at least you got post number 118 ...

Sorry :-)

Don't stop. Just take it one step at a time. We're all here to support.

M.
10/10/2003 at 10:32
Managed 10 miles last weekend (very slowly). Zilla is doing 15 miles this weekend - I may do 15 with him or may be a bit less insane and join him part way round and just do 12 or so.

The mileage build up is going nicely (should be around 25-28 miles in total for the week) but I feel awfully slow still.
M.
101 to 120 of 67,463 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.