Sub 4:30 anyone?

just 10:18mm's

21 to 40 of 450 messages
23/10/2013 at 18:35

keggsy I really think the key is a load of long runs lots of 22m runs I'm sure would help I've done 3 marathons and the more miles under the belt the further in before I start having issues that slow me down. 

Edited: 23/10/2013 at 18:39
23/10/2013 at 23:17
Thanks Tim. I understand what you mean about miles in my legs but I just find tht if I do the same speed each time I get bored and this helps me to keep going! If general consensus is that I shouldn't worry yet then I'll stick to jogging about

Yes Andi you're right I'm just running for time at the moment and 5.1 is just what an hour happened to be. I've joined RUN brighton which have a marathon training group n do long runs on Sundays so that will start middle of November

Sra - running on Christmas? That is dedication! I usually end up having to work but will make sure I stick to my schedule - more turkey and gateaux can be eaten that way. Hehe
23/10/2013 at 23:29

Sra, as Bam says that's dedication My plan has an easy 3 miler xmas day and a 9 miler on Boxing Day - both doable methinks.

booktrunk, were your 22 milers for the marathons or Ultra? I've thought about going over the 'standard' 20 miles and do believe it helps, mentally as well as physically. You of course go the extra mile being an ultra runner now

Bam, good luck with RUN Brighton, am sure it will help I see the odd runner here but they all seem faster than me and no running club. As for speed work, I did none for my first Marathon but this time going to try 1 80% MHR and 1 MP run each week in training if I can keep it up

23/10/2013 at 23:57
Yep Andi they both sound perfectly doable - Boxing Day may be slower than usual good luck with the new pacing. Trial and error will see how u cope with it - sure it'll be fine.

It's a shame you don't have anything like run where you are. I did it before when I ran brighton and the atmosphere is really good and helps with nutrition, hydration and technique while building up your mileage
24/10/2013 at 00:08

lol Bam and yup, boxing day may be taxing Whilst I understand the benefits of running in a group I do like running alone and sorting life stuff out. I no longer listen to music whilst running after I 'met' a fully laden log lorry on a bend on a forest trail and decided it was safer for me to leave the road than him

As for Nutrition, am guessing that's a personal thing? On my only Marathon thus far I did feel nauseuos afterward and put that down to the Shot Bloks though had trained with them.

24/10/2013 at 08:07

Running on Christmas = more food, less sitting around making small talk or watching crap telly.

24/10/2013 at 09:56

I can't see any problem with Christmas Day being a rest day. I have a race on the Sunday 29th anyway. 

24/10/2013 at 10:02

Bam, what races have you done before? What's your longest run?

I would concentrate on just getting your long run up to 13miles first with a few runs during the week building up to 5miles. Once at that level introduce speed work. 

24/10/2013 at 10:06
I listen to audiofuel when I run, keeps me focused and on the beat. Sometimes I like to run without music but I find often I get caught up listening to my breathing and then mess it up I don't often run in a group but I like to know I won't get lost over the downs! And I enjoy meeting new people and helping each other along. The nutrition is personal but they give out freebies to try...perhaps I'm just a cheapskate

Could have been the bloks making you feel nauseous but odd if you were used to running with them.

Sra - excellent reasons! I go to my bf's in the evening and we play cards all night...and Boxing Day....and NYE....could do with running through some of that but I think it might be a bit obvious!
24/10/2013 at 10:06

There is some evidence that running for longer than 3hours on your long run isn't beneficial. It's better to run consecutive mid length runs over two days. Say a 10mile then a 16mile. 

24/10/2013 at 13:51

I've tried that TimR!  Both running over 3 hours and doing back to backs - neither got me near 4.30

I think I've come to the conclusion that my training probably has too many junk miles in it.  My plan for Barcelona doesn't start for 3 weeks or so, so until then I am going to try to run faster so that my "easy" runs should be faster than they currently are - I think!

24/10/2013 at 13:58

I'm running my easy miles at marathon pace.

Although my LSR pace for New Forest Marathon was just under 10:00/mile. So I was doing 20miles in under 3:10. The New Forest trashed me and spat me out at 17miles on the day - I had run well for under 3 hours, but the last 10miles took nearly 2hours. Heat and hills (That's my excuse).

Edited: 24/10/2013 at 14:00
24/10/2013 at 14:05
Tim - I've done 10k's, half marathons and brighton marathon before but that was 2011 race so it's been a while. Out of interest why would you wait until built up to 13 miles before introducing speed work?
24/10/2013 at 14:19

Bam, I think I probably had a few more Bloks than in training - will try more on my training runs next time I did no speed work for my first Marathon and trialling it for my second - after all 26.2 is more about endurance than speed to begin with imho.

Tim, I've also heard the MAX 3 hours idea however for us slower runners I don't agree and believe the (rather random) 20 mile target gives the slower runner a bigger physcological boost? I'll be doing up to 10 miles at pMP on Saturdays and up to 20 on Sundays - will see how I get on with that.

Keggy, what's your Barcelone Plan look like and does it differ much from previous Plans?

24/10/2013 at 14:43

The mileage is a lot less!  I'm hoping that I won't feel so knackered throughout the schedule *fingers x'd*.  Previous plans had me doing 50+ miles some weeks but I think this one tops out at 40 which sounds quite a luxury.  My main problem is my head during the actual race - I love the structure of a training program but my race head tends to let me down so I'm hoping to fool it next time.

24/10/2013 at 15:31
Bam86 wrote (see)
Tim - I've done 10k's, half marathons and brighton marathon before but that was 2011 race so it's been a while. Out of interest why would you wait until built up to 13 miles before introducing speed work?

I was just looking at it from the view that 5miles was the longest you'd run and were a beginner. Getting a good base mileage in your legs and being able to comfortably run 8 miles before you start to add in speed sessions which will typically be 6+ miles if you are doing properly targeted marathoin speed sessions.

I can't see any value in doing a tempo run of less than 10miles including warm up and cool down.

Edited: 24/10/2013 at 15:31
25/10/2013 at 09:44
Thanks for your feedback Tim.

Fingers crossed u can trick ur brain next time Keggy. What is it that lets u down?
25/10/2013 at 11:54

It's my blerch every time - http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running

25/10/2013 at 14:10
Lol I love that!
25/10/2013 at 14:29

blerch is for wimps looking for an excuse... There is no excuse, keep one foot going in front of the other and sod everything else :0 There are facts like.. I didn't do enough long runs to keep going at the same speed.

(mind you i'd love to be 7 minutes quicker, 4:36:59 last time).

21 to 40 of 450 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.