Sub 5 hours

Slow, steady but determined.

281 to 300 of 60,747 messages
The Evil Pixie    pirate
30/10/2004 at 13:58
according to my book long runs should be about 1-1.5 mins slower than marathon pace
which is good for me cos that is a pace I can just do now! My club runs are my speed work which should hopefully bring my pace down.

Yesterday's run averages 11min 43 but we did 1 section (1/2m) in 4mins 25 so sub 9 mins! (Yes it was at this point that I died!) we also do a lot of hills as Ashby is hilly so I get the best of both worlds (so I keep on reminding myself as the others charge up the hills and I struggle muttering 4hrs 59.59 to myself!)
M...eldy    pirate
30/10/2004 at 14:04
I think I average between 10 and 11 min miles so it will be interesting to see how much of an improvement I get if I add 1.5 min/mile to that, I hasten to add that is not over a very long distance at the moment and when I was up to 13 miles before the summer I think I averaged about 11...
The Evil Pixie    pirate
30/10/2004 at 14:10
I'm doing between 6 and 7 miles as my long run just now!

Will hope to pop out later this afternoon and see where my legs take me - my knee is slightly sore so that may dictate the pace and distance!
M...eldy    pirate
30/10/2004 at 14:19
Cant do much at all at the moment - waiting to see Dr with my calf :-(
The Evil Pixie    pirate
30/10/2004 at 14:23
don't forget though that the long run is designed for "time on feet" it is not supposed to be done at race pace
By definition is must be slower
this means that when combined with some speed work and the 2-3 week taper the legs will be able to cope
any races before the mara should be done at race pace or quicker
M...eldy    pirate
30/10/2004 at 14:34
yep - will have another look at the schedule when I know I can start doing something with it !!!
The Evil Pixie    pirate
30/10/2004 at 14:36
good luck with the doc .. it's still about 24 weeks until FLM so plenty of time!
M...eldy    pirate
30/10/2004 at 14:46
I know !! fingers crossed !
30/10/2004 at 16:59
Imelda if you can do between 10 and 11 min miling now you are well on the way to a sub 5 hour marathon. I tend to do my long runs at a fair bit slower than 11 min miling pace as I do them off-road and it can be a bit hilly at times and then there is the changing of step for the muddy bits and puddles etc., but as EP says its time on your feet that counts at this stage rather than what pace you are running.

Good luck with the knee Imelda.

have a nice run EP.

My cheque is still not cashed so it looks like I will be doing Lochaber but I am still going to post my training here and hopefully get loads of advise and tips from other folks doing London.
The Evil Pixie    pirate
30/10/2004 at 17:02
7.5m in 1hr 37.10 which is under 13 min miles
was fine until about 6 miles then the legs complained!
mind you I did 6.5m 2 wks ago in 1hr 28 so can't complain too much!
M...eldy    pirate
30/10/2004 at 17:12
Jane I like to do a lot of off road as well ... normally up the hills or on the tow path which is quite nice
I have just become the proud mummy of a garmin 201 so I will be able to pace myself a lot better !!
30/10/2004 at 17:17
Well done EP on your run.

Imelda I too have a Garmin and find it a useful tool, but I wish it would stop beeping at me and telling me to speed up :)) I have used the virtual training partner if I want to do MP runs of 11 min miling. I am going to practise, practise this pace of runs up to about 8 miles.
The Evil Pixie    pirate
30/10/2004 at 17:19
thanks Jane
just had a nice bath - shame it wasn't longer but we're going out now (get my little boy!! Yippee! Missed him!) so I have to change now!!
M...eldy    pirate
30/10/2004 at 17:31
Jane I may come to you for some garmin advise then if I may at some time !!!
30/10/2004 at 17:40
Imelda I have only had mine a couple of weeks and have to rely on my son or hubby if I need to change anything on it but it is very easy to use, but it took me ages to work out how to get my mile splits from a previous run, you can program the Garmin to do this automatically. I haven't put any data onto the computer yet so maybe we can learn about this together.
30/10/2004 at 18:50
Hi all

I'm back from stormy Cornwall :-)

I managed to run 3 times but it was very hilly.

Hope all training is going well!!!
31/10/2004 at 15:32
Hi
I've been looking at hal higdon's schedules. I think I am going to follow the novice one - it doesn't seem like enough but the intermediate1 seems like maybe too much so I think I will basically follow the novice one and add extra miles if I feel able. My HM time is around 2hrs 30 so under 5hrs for the marathon might be pushing it but it is what I am aiming for. I think I might be in FLM as my cheque was cashed but I did bequeath this time (3rd time trying) so probably won't know for sure until Dec, but I will definately do a marathon next year - might even do 2!
see ya
tiny
31/10/2004 at 15:43
TT, good luck with the training, it is difficult to get a schedule that fits in with where you are and what you want. Lets know how you get on.
debbo    pirate
31/10/2004 at 17:20
TT - I'm sure you are in for FLM - that's what I would gather from the 'has your cheque been cashed' thread. My cheque hasn't been cashed, but I did bequeath, so I'll wait another week and see if I'm lucky. If not I'm happy to do Lochaber anyway.

Just back from a 10 mile run - average 11.3 minute miles, but it felt quite hard keeping my HR down today though. I forgot the clocks going back would mean it would be dark earlier. :(
M...eldy    pirate
31/10/2004 at 17:40
300!!
281 to 300 of 60,747 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.